none
Where does MMC store its window size and position? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'd like to reset the registry entry for the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) window position and size.

Can someone please enlighten me on where this information is stored?

Thanks,
    Axel Dahmen

Vote here for a Microsoft Connect feedback channel on Windows!

Monday, January 10, 2011 6:17 PM

Answers

• I found it now:

MMC settings (incl. window size) are stored at:

C:\Users\{Current User} \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC\

To restore setting to default, just delete the file corresponding to the name of the .msc file, e.g. "...\ServerManager".

Vote here for a Microsoft Connect feedback channel on Windows - and win a better Windows!

• Marked as answer by BetterToday Friday, January 14, 2011 10:03 PM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 10:03 PM

All replies

• File|Options and check the box for "Allow user to customize view"

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Monday, January 10, 2011 6:36 PM
  • Thanks for trying to help...

I can only see a button for cleaning up files from the hard disk.

I'm not sure, though, if what you suggest is exactly what I'm searching for... When MMC, e.g. Server Manager, opens, it opens with a given windows position and size. This window position and size must be stored somewhere. I'd just like to delete these entries to get the default back.

Monday, January 10, 2011 7:01 PM
  • How do you know it isn't default?

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Monday, January 10, 2011 11:04 PM
  • My graphics driver failed. Now all MMC windows as 800*600. I could resize the window easily, but I want to delete the Registry entries so the values get resetted to their default.

Don't ask why.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:59 AM
  • Ok, I wont but this sounds like a hardware and or driver problem. Not a windows issue. I don't think there are registry entries related to this. Try logging on as a new user. Perhaps your profile is corrupt.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:04 AM
  • Yes, it was a driver problem, but it's not now anymore.

This is not an "issue". I'm just curious to know where MMC stores its window position and size. Almost every program does that, even Notepad. They all do. MMC surely does as well. But I couldn't find the place using SysInternals ProcMon.

Now I'm curious to know where MMC stores its window size and position.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:07 AM
  • You can also create your own snap-ins to supplement or replace exisiting MSC's

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:26 AM
  • I found it now:

MMC settings (incl. window size) are stored at:

C:\Users\{Current User} \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC\

To restore setting to default, just delete the file corresponding to the name of the .msc file, e.g. "...\ServerManager".

Vote here for a Microsoft Connect feedback channel on Windows - and win a better Windows!

• Marked as answer by BetterToday Friday, January 14, 2011 10:03 PM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 10:03 PM
  • Sorry for picking up such an old thread, but it was the only one I could find concerning this issue.

The given answer with AppData was helpful to me. However, I've noticed that some MMC Windows don't get stored within that folder, for example the size of the DHCP management window. Even more, if I change the size of that, close and reopen it, the size will be reverted to how it was before.

Does anyone know how I can change the size of such windows?

I suppose there must be a standard or initial mmc configuration that used if no individual setting exists. But couldn't find it either in the Default profile nor in ProgramData.

Thursday, December 4, 2014 7:47 AM
  • This is not the answer to the issue. When I log into Server 2012 R2 or Server 2016 the Server Manager window will open, it opens in an odd place. I too want to know if there is a registry entry that controls where the Server Manager window opens when I log into the server.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 8:16 PM