none
WDS - Deploying Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 7 Professional Images RRS feed

• Question

• Probably an easy question for you guys--I'm trying to configure my WDS server to successfully deploy the following images:

Windows 7 Enterprise x64

Windows 7 Professional x64

My images are factory install.wim and boot.wim files from Windows installation media...which means I haven't made any changes to the install.wim or boot.wim files--they're clean.

My issue is that the WDS console can only accomodate one 64-bit image and one 32-bit image PE unattend file for the Windows PE portion of the unattended installation.

My Windows 7 Enterprise x64 image works 100%. The problem is that, even if I choose the Windows 7 Professional boot image, Windows 7 Enterprise ends up installing. I think the reason for this is because the PEUnattend has instructions in the InstallImage section to install Win 7 Enterprise.

The only way I could work around this is if I disable the Windows 7 Enterprise Boot and Install images in the WDS console.

The question is, given the limitations in the WDS console, how can I successfully deploy both Windows 7 Enterprise and Professional?

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please refer to this blog which provided detailed steps to deploying Windows 7:

http://blog.augustoalvarez.com.ar/2010/04/21/deploying-windows-7-using-windows-deployment-services-wds-step-by-step-part-ii/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

In comments author provided the following information about using 2 different images:

The oobeunattended file example shown above is associated to each installation image, so you should be able to use different images with different unattended files.
    Since WDSClientUnattend.xml is associated to the server and not the image, to use different unattended images, as mentioned before, you must remove “Microsoft-Windows-Setup\WindowsDeploymentServices\ImageSelection” section from the answer file.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 23, 2013 9:48 AM

All replies

• Skip WDS for os deployment, use MDT instead.

WDS is good for PXE-booting and that's it..

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:19 PM
  • Thanks for the advice, however--we have WDS set up and running well...for the most part.

Are you telling me that WDS cannot do what i'm trying to do?

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:44 PM
  • No it can do what you want, but it is easier to use MDT. MDT sits on top of WDS to give you better options.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

Please refer to this blog which provided detailed steps to deploying Windows 7:

http://blog.augustoalvarez.com.ar/2010/04/21/deploying-windows-7-using-windows-deployment-services-wds-step-by-step-part-ii/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

In comments author provided the following information about using 2 different images:

The oobeunattended file example shown above is associated to each installation image, so you should be able to use different images with different unattended files.
    Since WDSClientUnattend.xml is associated to the server and not the image, to use different unattended images, as mentioned before, you must remove “Microsoft-Windows-Setup\WindowsDeploymentServices\ImageSelection” section from the answer file.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 23, 2013 9:48 AM