none
Kernel Enlightenment - Windows Server 2003 SP2

Answers

All replies

• It is true in general, it is a question of degree and what you mean by enlightenment. Windows 2008 and Vista Service Pack 1 are fully enlightened, others are less so. Tony Voellm mentions it briefly in http://blogs.msdn.com/tvoellm/archive/2008/01/02/hyper-v-integration-components-and-enlightenments.aspx:

"Windows Server 2008 is fully enlightened which means it takes advantage of all possible enlightenments.  Other operating systems have varying degree of support."

Since you specifically asked about kernel enlightenments, see this thread: http://ctp.social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/5af4d953-0a77-49ad-b1a3-c8ca5c26ba2f/. Notice that Arno Mihm and Ben Armstrong makes the distinction between kernel and device driver enlightenments. Windows 2003 is not kernel enlightened. It has device driver enlightenments. Future Windows operating systems will have both device driver and kernel enlightenments.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 1:30 PM
  • Hi John,

I am glad you noticed that I was talking specifically about "kernel enlightenments". Thanks :+)

Anyway, I'm still not understanding why Dell would write this article. The Dell article (mentioned in my previous thread) "specifically" says Windows Server 2003 SP2 is "kernel enlightened".

I have always known the following two operating systems have had both "device enlightenments" and "kernel enlightenments":

Windows Vista SP1
    Windows Server 2008

But, with Dell's article, they are saying Windows Server 2003 SP2 has "kernel enlightenments".

What do you think?

BTW: In the Dell article, the reference is made down the far left hand side column.

Thanks, Niatross
    Friday, December 12, 2008 7:11 PM
  • I'm going to follow up with Dell to see what they're referring to. Windows Server 2003 SP2 is driver enlightened only.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 8:57 PM
    Owner