none
Hyper-V Problems RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm playing with Hyper-V on 3 different machines, and i've had 2 different problems crop up on them.

on 2 of the 3 the hosts network adapter loses connectivity every 10 to 120 minutes for 30-90 seconds, during which time it can ping only it's gateway, and nothing beyond. 

on all 3 of the servers, if i shut down a 2008 guest OS in hyper-v it will get stuck in the "stopping" state indefinitely, requiring a reboot to get out of this.  it happens on most of my 2008 guests, and on none of my xp/2003r2 guests.

Does anybody have any fixes for these problems?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 7:11 PM

Answers

• Just an idea here...

disable power management on the Host NIC.

try disabling TCP offloading (we have seen what we can only describe as 'chunking' when this is on)

When you say "shut down a 2008 guest OS in hyper-v it will get stuck in the "stopping" state" I am guessing that you are selecting the VM and choosing "shut down" which uses the integration components to perform a graceful shutdown from within the OS and won't shut down a VM if the desktop is locked (interesting behavior).

As opposed to "turn off" which is just flicking the power switch.

If the shutdown is not happening correctly - have you made sure that your integration components are up to date (if you built it on an RC and now are running it on beta)?

Just throwing out ideas to get you started.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 7:46 PM
  • What type of hardware are you running on, and what version (x86/x64) of Windows Server 2008 are you running in the VM?

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:53 PM
  • script works

install powershell
    enable scripts by modifying your execution policy in hyperv, "set-executionpolicy unrestricted"
    then browse to the folder w the script

. .\hyperv.ps1

once the script it loaded

type kill-vm vmname

my VM was set to reboot everytime I shut it down so I had to modify that in the Hyper-V settings to get it to finnaly turn off, it also took me running the script a few times to get it stay off as well
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, October 20, 2008 2:20 AM
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 5:47 PM
  • You can fix FreeBSD 6.4, 7.1 RC1, Current 8.0 if it hangs in Hyper-V. In order to do that you need to apply special patch to kernel.

It will not hang after poweroff or shutdown command. And by the way network card will work with DHCP. Read here how to do it http://blogs.technet.com/abeshkov/archive/2008/12/15/3169299.aspx

It written in Russian but i hope you can use auto translation.

• Proposed as answer by Andrey Beshkov Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Wednesday, December 17, 2008 2:40 AM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:58 PM

All replies

• Just an idea here...

disable power management on the Host NIC.

try disabling TCP offloading (we have seen what we can only describe as 'chunking' when this is on)

When you say "shut down a 2008 guest OS in hyper-v it will get stuck in the "stopping" state" I am guessing that you are selecting the VM and choosing "shut down" which uses the integration components to perform a graceful shutdown from within the OS and won't shut down a VM if the desktop is locked (interesting behavior).

As opposed to "turn off" which is just flicking the power switch.

If the shutdown is not happening correctly - have you made sure that your integration components are up to date (if you built it on an RC and now are running it on beta)?

Just throwing out ideas to get you started.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 7:46 PM
  • i turned off tcp checksum offloading, and disabled power management so i will see if that helps any.

as for turning off the os, i have tried both the normal start -> shutdown within the guest os, as well as using the "shut down" which as you say uses the integration components.   the components are installed, and it shows status as healthy, etc.  but i will attempt to reinstall the components and see if that fixes it.  the guest will clearly go through the shut down process, and then close out, but according to the hyper-v console it's still "shutting down".  and will stay this for days until you reboot.
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:08 PM
  • What type of hardware are you running on, and what version (x86/x64) of Windows Server 2008 are you running in the VM?

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:53 PM
  •  

OK then, this thread did seam to die a while ago but it didnt get solved and i now have the same problem.

My server 2008 guests will not shutdown or restart 3 times out of 4. It hangs in the Stopping state and (same as above) requires a restart.

I cant keep restarting the host machine as that means taking all vm's offline and is way too much disruption.

All server installations are fully up to date (host and guest) and are all 64-bit. Hyper-V is current (RC0).

Hardware

Intel Core 2 E6700

Asus PK5C Mobo

4GB Corsair RAM

If i could find out why id be so happy. Thanks in advance.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:20 PM
  • Been having the same problems with guest vm's stuck at "stopping".

Intel core q6600
    asus P35
    Monday, May 19, 2008 12:41 PM
  • hi mate, ive solved my problem.

i noticed that before they got to this state the network responsiveness of the vm's deteriorated first so i tried a different network card.

Turns out that solved it, the onboard network controller was incompatible i guess. sounds amatuer now ive said it to myself.

i reckon the hyper-v management tool relies on the networking side of things to manage the child partitions. makes sense as the vmconnect tool looses connectivity when network settings are altered, so i worked it out by logical thinking.

tried a new card and success! loads of improvement and now i just have to regain trust to my end users from the embarassment.

seen as you are using an asus board (dont blame you awesome make) im guessing your using the onboard NIC, which is probably the same incompatible controller.

try a new card

let me know if you have any luck mate.
    • Proposed as answer by Coding77 Sunday, September 21, 2008 5:42 PM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:51 PM
  • Interesting..

Just curious.  Was your origional NIC a Broadcom?

If so, then you may have run into a very common issue where TCPOffloading just needed to be disabled on the physical network adapter at the Hyper-V server (not the parent partition virtual adapter).

Otherwise it seems like a strange problem.

Were you using the Windows provided driver or a manufacturer driver?

(I am still curious)
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:01 PM
  • I've had the same problems with RC0, not with a Broadcom NIC but Attensic (Asus P5k motherboard).
    So far the problems seem to be gone with RC1, and my VM's are better than ever.

Will Continue testing.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:23 AM
  • I have this issue as well.  I'm running Hyper-V RTM on Windows 2008 x64 as the host.  The guest is a FreeBSD machine ... when I reboot the FreeBSD machine with the reboot command, it gets all the way to the end of the shutdown process but gets stuck at the part where it's about to turn off and back on again.  The status just says "Stopping" in hyper-v.  I've tried killing the Hyper-V service but it won't die.  This is Free BSD 7 distro on CD.

Tried shutdown -p now on the guest with no luck, still stuck on stopping.  Have to reboot host for it to come back, which nukes the save state... #$()$*&#)
    • Edited by Tom Goddard Tuesday, July 8, 2008 5:06 AM oh give me a break
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 4:23 AM
  • I'm having the same issue with shutting down vm's. This just started recently, I've only been running 2008 since the official release of the hyper-v, but this is a serious issue. I'm a ms partner, but thinking about running the vm's in a vmware esx server instead of this faulty hyper-v stuff.

I'm running a Gigabyte mobo with 8gb ram and using both the onboard realtek nic and a separate intel pro 1000GT nic (as I heard about compatibility problems, I've been using the intel nic for the vm's).

Same issue, freezes at "stopping" and if you click on the vm image to remote control, it says the vm is stopped, but it's not. I have to shut down the 2008 parent in order to get out of the frozen situation. I'm rapidly losing interest in Microsofts "beta" Hyper-v.....

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:41 AM
  • \
    YourMom said:

I have this issue as well.  I'm running Hyper-V RTM on Windows 2008 x64 as the host.  The guest is a FreeBSD machine ... when I reboot the FreeBSD machine with the reboot command, it gets all the way to the end of the shutdown process but gets stuck at the part where it's about to turn off and back on again.  The status just says "Stopping" in hyper-v.  I've tried killing the Hyper-V service but it won't die.  This is Free BSD 7 distro on CD.

Tried shutdown -p now on the guest with no luck, still stuck on stopping.  Have to reboot host for it to come back, which nukes the save state... #$()$*&#)

I am experiencing this exact same issue; FreeBSD OS attempting to Shutdown gets stuck in the "Stopping" and requires reboot of the entire host.

Sunday, October 19, 2008 5:14 PM
  • Defrag4 said:

\

YourMom said:

I have this issue as well.  I'm running Hyper-V RTM on Windows 2008 x64 as the host.  The guest is a FreeBSD machine ... when I reboot the FreeBSD machine with the reboot command, it gets all the way to the end of the shutdown process but gets stuck at the part where it's about to turn off and back on again.  The status just says "Stopping" in hyper-v.  I've tried killing the Hyper-V service but it won't die.  This is Free BSD 7 distro on CD.

I am experiencing this exact same issue; FreeBSD OS attempting to Shutdown gets stuck in the "Stopping" and requires reboot of the entire host.

My VM is using a legacy NIC if this makes any difference.

The only way I have to turn off my VM at this point is to "Save State", and delete state then turn the VM back on
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Here is an article I came across which contains a powershell script that can supposedly kill these hung VM's

http://www.ditii.com/2008/07/19/powershell-hyper-v-script-hyper-v-freebsd-shutdown-problem-workaround/

I havent tried it yet; will report back
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 5:30 PM
  • script works

install powershell
    enable scripts by modifying your execution policy in hyperv, "set-executionpolicy unrestricted"
    then browse to the folder w the script

. .\hyperv.ps1

once the script it loaded

type kill-vm vmname

my VM was set to reboot everytime I shut it down so I had to modify that in the Hyper-V settings to get it to finnaly turn off, it also took me running the script a few times to get it stay off as well
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 5:47 PM
  • You can fix FreeBSD 6.4, 7.1 RC1, Current 8.0 if it hangs in Hyper-V. In order to do that you need to apply special patch to kernel.

It will not hang after poweroff or shutdown command. And by the way network card will work with DHCP. Read here how to do it http://blogs.technet.com/abeshkov/archive/2008/12/15/3169299.aspx

It written in Russian but i hope you can use auto translation.

• Proposed as answer by Andrey Beshkov Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Wednesday, December 17, 2008 2:40 AM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:58 PM