none
[WSE 2012 R2] Remote Media Streaming RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I installed the Media Pack for Media Streaming and it works as expected - in my LAN. But i can't get the remote streaming on the Remote Web Access to work properly.

I can access the videos and music on the local remote access homepage (e.g. https://192.168.1.1/remote) and ther media plays fine on my Internet Explorer via html 5.

If i try to play the movies and music visiting my remote access homepage (e.g. https://example.remotewebaccess.com), the videos/music show up as on local access, but they don't play.

Do you know, how to fix this?

Monday, March 3, 2014 6:12 PM

All replies

• Same here, within local network it plays fine but outside the local network it doesn't play at all. The player opens up, dots are going around and around (I guess preparing to stream) and suddenly fails. I've never been able to fix it. Too bad, because I really like the html player compared to the whs 2011 player (based on Silverlight I guess). The only workaround that worked until I find a solution is going back to WHS 2011...

Claude

Monday, March 3, 2014 11:44 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. It's the exact same behavior on my server. Maybe it's a bug in WSE R2, because i never find anyone getting this to work.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:40 AM
  • Hi ,

Thank you for posting your issue in the forum.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 10:16 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your time and patience and hope this may help:

Use Remote Web Access

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/using-remote-web-access-2.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:15 AM
  • Hi Andy and thanks for helping us solve this issue. But I guess there is some misunderstanding here. We don't really want to know how to use Remote Web Access. We know how to use it and the link is related with WHS 2011. The issue here is we try to play a video in multimedia from remote web access and the player opens up and we see dots going round and round and the video never play. Playing from inside network is fine but when outside network is the issue. So the problem is not solved yet and don't refer it as if it would be, because it is wrong to mark it as answered when it is not... So please reconsider this issue as NOT SOLVED YET.

Thanks,

Claude

Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:38 AM
  • Can you guys post up here what ports you have open in your router and your network toplogy?

Unfortunately TechNet subscriptions aren't coming back, sorry folks :-(

Sunday, April 6, 2014 5:53 PM
  • I have marked the question as unanswered so that more people will participate hopefully

I've not played with this myself...but I suspect Susan is on the right track regarding router/firewall ports

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL

Sunday, April 6, 2014 6:29 PM
  • make sure 80 and 443 are open.  I vaguely remember in the back of my mind that we've closed 80 as paranoid small businesses and I think 80 has to be open for the remote media streaming to work.

But like Cris I don't have the exact setup, so let's get to the bottom of this working.

Sunday, April 6, 2014 6:39 PM
  • These ports are open, of course. We aren't total beginners, we know pretty well, how remote access works and how it is set up correctly.

So for now, there is no solution and i think it's a bug in the media streaming feature. All people i talked to didn't get the remote media streaming to work, so i think, there is definitely something wrong here.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:37 PM
  • Just making sure.  Then how about we get a support case open and get to the bottom of this.

Email me at susan-at-msmvps.com (change the -at- to @)

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:06 AM
  • Andrew, what exact error do you see? Can you please post a screen shot?

BTW: It's working in my setup.

Martin

LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home and Small Business Server http://www.homeserversoftware.com

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:16 AM
  • BTW: It's working in my setup.

Martin

Hi, first it is not a router port issue since streaming is working as expected in Remote web access in WHS 2011. Same ports are open in the router 80 and 443. Firewall? May be...

There is no error message, the video or music just doesn't play at all after dots are going round and round, see the screenshot.

Martin, you say it is working in your setup. Are you outside your network when you use it? Like in a hotel or a hot spot in a shopping mall? It is very important to know. Mine is also working when I'm at home using rwa. It is when I'm not at home that it is not working, so outside my network.

Claude

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:49 AM
  • Same problem with me. And there is no error page or something like that. It's just dots circling around, but no video playback.

In WSE 2012 R1 (more or less the same remote web access as in whs2011) the remote streaming was no problem at all. The router was the same.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:03 PM
  • Hi Claude,

yes it's working (slowly) from outside. My server at home with video and music and accessed from my office.

Have you tried to play music? Video seems to use too much bandwidth to play continuously. 

And what browsers have you tried?

LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home and Small Business Server http://www.homeserversoftware.com

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 1:05 PM
  • Hi Claude,

yes it's working (slowly) from outside. My server at home with video and music and accessed from my office.

Have you tried to play music? Video seems to use too much bandwidth to play continuously. 

And what browsers have you tried?

Hi Martin, I didn't try to play music since they are very small files and can fit on my tablet. I have a Lenovo Miix 2 8 with 32Go and SD card for my docs and music.

I'm using the latest version of Internet Explorer and my tablet is always up to date. So I guess it is version 11.

Using the same tablet but with WHS 2011, I can play music videos, movies and TV Series via the remote web access without any problem. The only thing that would be choppy is HD videos, since it requires higher bandwith. But that is not the issue for now, I'm trying to play the same plain video music on WS2012 R2 Essentials actually playing on WHS 2011. For me, if it plays fine on WHS 2011 and WS2012 Essentials, then I don't see why it wouldn't play on R2. I also believe it is a bug in the Media Pack since lot of people are having issues with this.

I am not frustrated about this since it is only the trial version I'm using. If I would have paid 500.$ for a software to replace WHS 2011 paid 50.$ and doesn't work as advertised for my needs, then I would really go mad!! Hopefully, I wish nobody paid that amount of money for a buggy software... And I'm not ready to spend that money just yet.

Claude

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 5:40 PM