Server 2008 R2. Files have been deleted from winsxs folder. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

So I have a server 2008 R2 whereby files have been deleted from the winsxs folder. We cannot do a restore. Does anyone have any information on using dism.exe and whether I can run the "dism.exe and the /checkhealth command" on a server 2008 R2 or is that just for server 2012?

Any remediation tips on revering the winsxs folder appreciated as now I can no longer patch the server.

Thank you.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 11:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Based on my experience, WinSxS is one of the most important folders in your system. Without the complete WinSxS, your system will never operate correctly.

If you have deleted the WinSxS folder or some of its contents, as a result of which you are facing system issues, the only options you have is to try to Repair Windows or go in for a fresh install.

Note: Repair/Install can repair those files that came with the original system. But many e.g. .dlls come from later program installations and those cannot be repaired that way - or any way short of reinstalling subject program(s).

Regarding the DISM tool, I do not think it could be used for restoring WinSxS contents, most people use it to reduce the size of their WinSxS folder.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Palmer_001 Monday, May 2, 2016 6:46 AM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 2:09 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you can replace files under winsxs folder, but it is not recommended.

How to replace files under winsxs folder?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/haoweiqin/2012/01/25/how-to-replace-files-under-winsxs-folder/

Steps described in the following article, for your reference:

How to move the WinSxS directory in Vista

http://aspoc.net/archives/2007/12/05/how-to-move-the-winsxs-directory-in-vista/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Based on my experience, WinSxS is one of the most important folders in your system. Without the complete WinSxS, your system will never operate correctly.

If you have deleted the WinSxS folder or some of its contents, as a result of which you are facing system issues, the only options you have is to try to Repair Windows or go in for a fresh install.

Note: Repair/Install can repair those files that came with the original system. But many e.g. .dlls come from later program installations and those cannot be repaired that way - or any way short of reinstalling subject program(s).

Regarding the DISM tool, I do not think it could be used for restoring WinSxS contents, most people use it to reduce the size of their WinSxS folder.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 2:09 AM
  • Hi Alvin. Thank you for responding. On the subject of repair I guess the same is also true for any patches that have been applied since the start- a repair will not recover and updated files either through patching or adding or removing roles, would you agree? What about if I could find another 2008r2 server which is supposed to be the same patch level (supposed to be). What if I compared the winsxs folder and copied across missing data from server 2 to server 1(on a clone of the server of course). Could that work perhaps? Thank you.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 5:05 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you can replace files under winsxs folder, but it is not recommended.

How to replace files under winsxs folder?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/haoweiqin/2012/01/25/how-to-replace-files-under-winsxs-folder/

Steps described in the following article, for your reference:

How to move the WinSxS directory in Vista

http://aspoc.net/archives/2007/12/05/how-to-move-the-winsxs-directory-in-vista/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:37 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Monday, May 2, 2016 5:27 AM
  • Thank you Alvwan and sorry for the late response. The information was very useful thank you. We were able to use the information you provided as well as the info in the links you sent me to basically educate the team going forward. Thank you.
    • Edited by Palmer_001 Monday, May 2, 2016 6:48 AM
    Monday, May 2, 2016 6:47 AM