none
Block Level Backup Service fails on start (DCOM issue perhaps)

Question

• On a Windows 2008 x64, sp2, today the Block Level Backup Service fails to start and logs the following events in the System Log:

The most receint changes to this maching are updates including win2k8 SP2 for the server.

Event ID: 10029
    DCOM started the service wbengine with arguments "" in order to run the server: {37734C4D-FFA8-4139-9AAC-60FBE55BF3DF}

Event ID: 7036
    The Block Level Backup Engine Service service entered the stopped state.

Event ID: 7023
    The Block Level Backup Engine Service service terminated with the following error: General access denied error

Event ID: 10010
    The server {37734C4D-FFA8-4139-9AAC-60FBE55BF3DF} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Starting the service manually returns Error 0X80070005: Access is denied.

This is a Exchange Server along with DPM.  I note that the folder that was used for storing the system state on c:\ appears to no longer be present.  I do not see this ID present in the Component Services DCOM section.

I have tried to reinstall the Windows Server Backup feature, but that hasn't changed the story.

Checkdisk on the volumes returns no errors.

What steps might be useful in debugging this problem?  UAC is off on this machine: I mention this as it appears to be linked in other posts for the mentioned GUID.

Thanks!

Saturday, December 5, 2009 9:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Abhinav,

Repairing System Volume Information ACL-s helped, thanks for the tip. Didn't know this directory is used by the Block Level Backup Service. Of course I manually modified its access rights a long long time ago and after system reinstall a little zonk occured. Therefore I would qualify that as an OS bug. Windows Server 2008 installer did not repair broken System Volume Information ACL-s.

Registry nodes and it's ACL'a are probably fine than, and modifying accounts that services runs under will also not be needed.

Best regards,
    Dawid
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 8:37 PM

All replies

• Hello,
       Thanks for bringing the issue to us.

This Windows Backup forum is intended for questions and discussions regarding the default backup features included in Windows Vista, Windows Server
      2008 and beyond. For all other queries, the following forums/newsgroups should be able to provide better support.

Questions regarding Data Protection Manager (DPM):
       DPM newsgroup: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dataprotectionmanager

However if you are trying to start the Windows Backup Engine manually then just make sure that you do it as Administrator with elevated previledge.

Thanks,

Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Monday, December 7, 2009 8:54 AM
  • Hello Tom,
       Are you still facing the issue. If yes then we will be more than happy to help you resolve it. In order to investigate further we would need logs to find out what is going wrong.

For sending the logs please zip the folder %windir%\logs\WindowsBackup and send it to
    bikasha-nospam@microsoft.com (Use the highlighted part only) for analyzing the problem.

Also can you please check if the following services are running. If not try running them manually

1. Volume Shadow Copy
     2. Virtual Disk

Thanks,

Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

• Edited by Bikash Agrawala Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:54 PM Additional Information
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:35 PM
  • Hello Tom,
        Are you still facing the issue. If yes then can you please send us the logs to the above mentioned email alias.

Thanks,

Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:12 AM
  • My Block Level Backup Service also fails to start. Tried running it both on default and on administrator account. I attach details from my event log below. Regards, Dawid

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908D1-A6D7-4695-8E1E-26931D2012F4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7023</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-02-03T22:58:03.000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>44788</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
      <Channel>System</Channel>
      <Computer>WIN-47J5BFFPU5E</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="param1">Block Level Backup Engine Service</Data>
      <Data Name="param2">%%2147942405</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 11:02 PM
  • By the way reinstalling Windows Backup feature also did not help. I thought also to check Volume Shadow Copy and Virtual Disk services but they do not seem to have any problem at all. I noticed one more entry in my system log "The Block Level Backup Engine Service service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly." - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> - <System> <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908D1-A6D7-4695-8E1E-26931D2012F4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" /> <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7030</EventID> <Version>0</Version> <Level>2</Level> <Task>0</Task> <Opcode>0</Opcode> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-02-03T22:49:40.000Z" /> <EventRecordID>44769</EventRecordID> <Correlation /> <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" /> <Channel>System</Channel> <Computer>WIN-47J5BFFPU5E</Computer> <Security /> </System> - <EventData> <Data Name="param1">Block Level Backup Engine Service</Data> </EventData> </Event>
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 11:04 PM
  • Hello,
      Can you please try to make the "Block Level Backup Engine Service" to be non-interactive. You can take the help of the following link for doing this.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756339(WS.10).aspx 

Thanks,

Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

• Proposed as answer by Bikash Agrawala Wednesday, February 3, 2010 7:40 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 7:39 AM
  • So this was the "Allow service to interact with desktop" checkbox I checked. I tried it only to see if that helps anyway running the service but it didn't..

Regards,
    Dawid
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 10:50 AM
  • Hello Dawid,
      Can you please run the following set of commands below from an elevated command window and send us the output.
    Also Can you please zip the folder %windir%\logs\WindowsBackup and send it to bikasha-nospam@microsoft.com (Use the highlighted part only) for analyzing the problem. Please keep the subject of the email same as this thread for easy tracking.

wbadmin get versions

Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

Thanks,
    • Edited by Bikash Agrawala Wednesday, February 3, 2010 12:54 PM corrected the email Id
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 12:22 PM
  • I ziped the backup log directory content, executed suggested command as administrator and sent all the results via email.

Regards,
    Dawid Ireno
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 6:08 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sending the logs. From the logs it seems that the engine service does not have read\write access to the %windir%\System Volume Information directory and its sub directories. To diagnose the issue further, it needs to be known what is the current account that the engine service is configured to run as, and what are the current permissions on the %windir%\System Volume Information directory. Mail me (abhim-nospam@microsoft.com, remove -nospam to get the actual id) the output of the following two commands:

reg export HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Wbengine engine.reg
    The reg file contains the engine service config params.

icacls "%windir%\system volume information" /save acls.txt
    This command needs to be run as administrator, text file would contain the ACL info about the directory. Further, you can check the security ACLs for the directory by rightclick->Properties tab and add SYSTEM to have all permissions on the %windir%\system volume information to possibly resolve the issue.

Thanks,
    Abhinav
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 7:59 AM
  • Hi Abhinav,

Repairing System Volume Information ACL-s helped, thanks for the tip. Didn't know this directory is used by the Block Level Backup Service. Of course I manually modified its access rights a long long time ago and after system reinstall a little zonk occured. Therefore I would qualify that as an OS bug. Windows Server 2008 installer did not repair broken System Volume Information ACL-s.

Registry nodes and it's ACL'a are probably fine than, and modifying accounts that services runs under will also not be needed.

Best regards,
    Dawid
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 8:37 PM
  • I just had the exactly same problem,and I have solved it by changing the ACL of System Volume Information to EVERYONE.

While I don't really understand.The System Volume Information and its sub-folders is in general only accessable by SYSTEM.Then under which account is the service Engine? Not the SYSTEM? How can we change to SYSTEM? While that's also weird,Because before the problem occured, I run the backup successfully once,and that's to say the service engine was running then.Then what changed that caused the problem?

• Proposed as answer by Herb0530 Saturday, May 21, 2011 4:32 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Herb0530 Saturday, May 21, 2011 4:32 AM
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 7:22 PM
  • I had the above issues.

i followed your suggestions

but adding everyone got it to work.

I will just get the acl correct for system and remove everyone.

I changed Security settings for the system volume information

and backup came like it never came down

I was trying to install iscsi and i was having issues because i had windows 2008 r2 x64 2003 r2 x86  sp2   2003 r2 se x86

Windows server standard sp2 x64

i messed with the system volume information trying to figure why iscsi was not mounting correctly .

herb mcgrath
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 5:00 AM