none
NPS to restrict simultaneous login using same credentials at multiple devices RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there a way to restrict NPS concurrent login using same credentials???
    We have some user they misuse their credential by sharing other users and also uses to connects multiple devices.
    Is there a way to restrict simultaneous login base on numbers???

Thanks in advance

Mohammed...

Friday, May 17, 2019 3:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

No, NPS doesn't support the feature, because the authentication is not done by NPS.

You should restrict simultaneous login on authentication server such as DC.

If you use DC for authentication, I would suggest you use UserLock or LimitLogin.

Please refer to the link below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/technet-magazine/cc160794(v=msdn.10) 

Best regards,

Travis 

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, May 17, 2019 6:19 AM
  • User Lock is commercial application where as i have tried LimitLogin when a user login with same user name at 2 PCs it displays the notification and gets logoff, will LimitLogin work for NPS Authentication as well???

Also i have few non domain PC,mobile devices too how will it work for them???

Mohammed...

• Edited by Mohammed_Jaz Friday, May 17, 2019 6:40 AM point included
    Friday, May 17, 2019 6:37 AM
  • Hi,

I am afraid that LimitLogin doesn't work for NPS authentication.

I would suggest you use User Lock because it is more powerful.

There is a comparison:

https://www.isdecisions.com/blog/it-security/limitlogin-vs-userlock/ 

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. 

Best regards,

Travis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, May 17, 2019 8:57 AM
  • It is dissatisfaction to use 3rd Party tool because of  no option in Microsoft,i am too one of the biggest fan & admirer of Microsoft Products, it is disappointment to search for other option when Microsoft is such a big platform lacking some important things like these option when compare to freeradius.

Mohammed...

Friday, May 17, 2019 11:18 AM
  • Hi,

Many thanks for your support of Microsoft.

I totally understand the inconvenience this issue has brought to you, and your current feeling about this issue. 

please assure that Microsoft is always do the best to provide good products to customers and is always trying to improve these products.

Best regards,

Travis

Monday, May 20, 2019 8:48 AM