none
NIC team lost after upgrade WS2012 to WS2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I now upgrade server with OS Windows Server 2012 and with one NIC team to Windows Server 2012 R2.

After this upgrade this server lost this team and your IP configuration ?

This is by design ?

Thanks,

Snake AG

Monday, October 21, 2013 5:00 AM

Answers

• This is expected.  Windows does not attempt to preserve NIC teams during an OS upgrade. 

We would certainly like an OS upgrade to be a seamless experience, but it takes a fair amount of engineering work to properly upgrade NIC teams. Given the limited amount of time we had in this release, we made the decision to use our time to build the dynamic load distribution algorithm, instead of an OS upgrade feature.  Dynamic load distribution uses an advanced algorithm from Microsoft Research to get more bandwidth out of bursty network traffic.  We believe that this choice brings the most benefit to the most customers, because OS upgrades are a one-time event (and are fairly rare for most servers), while the new dynamic load distribution algorithm delivers better throughput in many workloads.

So unfortunately you will have to recreate your teams (and static IP settings, etc.).  I hope that you evaluate dynamic load distribution, and you find that its improved throughput is worth the one-time upgrade hassle.

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:21 PM

All replies

• This is expected.  Windows does not attempt to preserve NIC teams during an OS upgrade. 

We would certainly like an OS upgrade to be a seamless experience, but it takes a fair amount of engineering work to properly upgrade NIC teams. Given the limited amount of time we had in this release, we made the decision to use our time to build the dynamic load distribution algorithm, instead of an OS upgrade feature.  Dynamic load distribution uses an advanced algorithm from Microsoft Research to get more bandwidth out of bursty network traffic.  We believe that this choice brings the most benefit to the most customers, because OS upgrades are a one-time event (and are fairly rare for most servers), while the new dynamic load distribution algorithm delivers better throughput in many workloads.

So unfortunately you will have to recreate your teams (and static IP settings, etc.).  I hope that you evaluate dynamic load distribution, and you find that its improved throughput is worth the one-time upgrade hassle.

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Is this "well documented" though?  Maybe I missed it, but I would have preferred a more proactive "NIC Teaming will be lost in the upgrade" notification.

Monday, June 9, 2014 2:21 PM
  • I have the same trouble on upgrading... For my safety I make an ethernet config backup... besides of these I have the " Operation timed out: TeamNic installation did not complete in a timely manner. " error...

The right solution for these (after making an configuration backup before upgrade) is install on all NIC the "Network Multiplexor Protocol" as seen on Nic Teaming Thread (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a572a3ab-3782-42d6-a7c2-21fb087a49a2/nic-teaming)

Sunday, February 15, 2015 4:54 AM