none
Migrate RDS 2008 licenses to 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a RDS environment that is running 2008 servers, and a new one running 2016. The problem is with the licenses, so I want a confirmation that what I try to do is the right way.

1. Based on the Terminal Services matrix I can see that the 2008 licenses are not compatible with 2016, so I have to purchase new ones?

2. The licenses can't be upgraded, so I have to purchase new ones?

3. In theory I don't need access CALs since they are using just the RDS Host server and for this the RDS licenses cover everything. In practice, there is a domain environment and clients will need to have new access CALs?

4. Can access CALs be upgraded?

Thanks for your response,

Tvase

Thursday, October 5, 2017 10:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

for using RDS on 2016 version you need to purchase the 2016 RDS CALs + 2016 Windows Server CALs version.#the upgrade from prior versions to the new version is ONLY for customers with active software assurance.

for confirmation & more details contact microsoft licensing support in your region or contact your reseller.

thanks

diramoh

• Marked as answer by Tvase Friday, October 6, 2017 8:53 AM
    Friday, October 6, 2017 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Based on the Terminal Services matrix I can see that the 2008 licenses are not compatible with 2016, so I have to purchase new ones?

2. The licenses can't be upgraded, so I have to purchase new ones

Yes, Windows Server 2016 RDS CALs need to be purchased.

3. In theory I don't need access CALs since they are using just the RDS Host server and for this the RDS licenses cover everything. In practice, there is a domain environment and clients will need to have new access CALs?

4. Can access CALs be upgraded?

Please clarify a bit more about access CAL in your case.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 11:52 AM
  • Hi Amy,

I know that in order to access a server OS you need access CALs for the clients. Now, my 2008 domain controllers were migrated to 2016 as the RDS farm. Besides the RDS licenses, do I also need to purchase access CALs?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/product-licensing/client-access-license.aspx

Thursday, October 5, 2017 4:33 PM
  • Now, my 2008 domain controllers were migrated to 2016 as the RDS farm. Besides the RDS licenses, do I also need to purchase access CALs?

Hi,

Yes, Windows Server Per User or Per Device CAL is required for each user/device that will be accessing the server.

You may download WS2016LicensingDatasheet .pdf file from this link below to view more detailed information:

Pricing and licensing for Windows Server 2016

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/windows-server-pricing

Regarding specific pricing, please contact your Microsoft reseller.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 6, 2017 2:30 AM
  • Hi,

for using RDS on 2016 version you need to purchase the 2016 RDS CALs + 2016 Windows Server CALs version.#the upgrade from prior versions to the new version is ONLY for customers with active software assurance.

for confirmation & more details contact microsoft licensing support in your region or contact your reseller.

thanks

diramoh

• Marked as answer by Tvase Friday, October 6, 2017 8:53 AM
    Friday, October 6, 2017 7:45 AM
  • Thanks for clear this out, much appreciated.
    Friday, October 6, 2017 8:53 AM