Please, help a noob with WS 2012 R2 Foundation. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.
    I have a server with 2 sockets but only 1 processor installed.
    The main purpose is to share some file and printers in a simple workgroup.

Because I don't have a big budget, the question is:
    Can I purchase and install a Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation on a Dual-Socket server with only one processor installed ? If yes, could be there other issues ? If not, well ... :/

In future, if needed and possible, I could upgrade it with second CPU and WS 1012 R2 Standard edition (no upgrade, I know it).

Thanks in advance for answers.

Thursday, November 27, 2014 4:51 PM

Answers

• Probably yes. And license covers two sockets.

Correct answer would be addresses to server vendor.

Generally it is good to follow http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/

Regards

Milos

• Proposed as answer by AnnaWY Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by AnnaWY Thursday, December 4, 2014 10:40 AM
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 5:57 PM
  • Hi Krimax,

Because the Maximum number of CPU sockets is 1 (no limit on CPU cores) on server 2012 r2 foundation from HERE.

Based on my experience, I think it's ok to install server 2012 R2 foundation on a physical server with two cpu sockets BUT you only insatll one cpu, I prefer the latter point it will recognize the number of phisical CPUs installed.

If there is anything else regarding this issue, please feel free to post back.

Best Regards,

Anna Wang

Friday, November 28, 2014 9:37 AM

All replies

• Probably yes. And license covers two sockets.

Correct answer would be addresses to server vendor.

Generally it is good to follow http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/

Regards

Milos

Thursday, November 27, 2014 5:57 PM
  • Thank you for the answer.

The problem is to know if Foundation recognizes the number of sockets or the number of processors on the MB.

If it recognizes the number of sockets then I suppose it doesn't work but if it recognizes the number of phisical CPUs installed then I think it should work (if only one CPU is present obviously).

There is nothing on the web about this.

Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:27 PM
  • Hi Krimax,

Because the Maximum number of CPU sockets is 1 (no limit on CPU cores) on server 2012 r2 foundation from HERE.

Based on my experience, I think it's ok to install server 2012 R2 foundation on a physical server with two cpu sockets BUT you only insatll one cpu, I prefer the latter point it will recognize the number of phisical CPUs installed.

Best Regards,

Anna Wang

Friday, November 28, 2014 9:37 AM
  • Thank you again for the answer.

Did you ever install Foundation in this scenario ?

In my opinion it's a bit strange that there is nothing on MS forums or the web.
    I am wrong maybe but honestly I don't understand why if I could save 4/500 bucks then I shouldn't do it ?

Friday, November 28, 2014 11:01 AM
  • Hi Krimax,

No, I haven't installed the Windows Server Foundation in your scenario, it's Normal Windows server with redundant cpu socket. So in my opinion, system can only recognize the installed cpu.

I also think the best way aMilos suggested above is contacting Server Vendor.

Best Regards,

Anna Wang

Friday, November 28, 2014 4:12 PM