none
Error Code: 0x8007054f when rename a SQL Server client access point of a SQL Server cluster RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting  error 0x8007054f when renaming a Serve Name property of role 'SQL Server' using  Windows Fail over Cluster Manager tool.

Details below :

I have a Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition 2-node cluster running SQL Sever 2008 R2; Lets call it as  SQLA (Node 1 and Node 2).

I built  a new Windows 2012 R2 Standard Edition 2-node cluster running SQL Sever 2012 ; Lets call it as  SQLB (Node 3 and Node 4).

My goal is to rename SQLA as SQLOLD and SQLB as SQLA.

I made sure I have necessary permissions to rename the cluster by first renaming SQLB as SQLBNew and renamed it back to SQLB.

For the intended change  I performed the below steps in that order-

• I first renamed SQLA as SQLOLD and assigned a different IP; verified I was able to connect as SQLOLD and execute SQL queries against SQLOLD
    • As an additional precaution, I brought the SQL Services on SQLOLD offline
    • I RDPed into active node of SQL B( Node 3) , using Failover Cluster Manger attempted to rename  the 'Server Name' (Client Access point)  of role 'SQL Server' to SQLA.

The renaming failed with  error 0x8007054f. Please see the attached screenshots of the error. Where can I look for the root cause of this error ?

ARASKAS

Monday, February 13, 2017 10:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Araskas,

>>I RDPed into active node of SQL B( Node 3) , using Failover Cluster Manger attempted to rename  the 'Server Name' (Client Access point)  of role 'SQL Server' to SQLA.

Try to perform the rename on the node locally.

Which account are you using to connect?

Have you checked the connection between the node and DNS server?

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:03 AM
  • Leo

What exactly you mean when you say " Try to perform the rename on the node locally." ?

I was able to rename the server to a different name and it worked. So the account I am logged in has necessary permissions. I am just not able to rename the new server as SQLA.

How do I check the connection between the node and DNS Server ?

Thanks

ARASKAS

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:43 PM
  • Hi ARASKAS,

Logon the node directly, not RDP, and rename.

If I understood correctly, the two SQL are in two different clusters?

>>How do I check the connection between the node and DNS Server ?

Try ping, and nslookup.

After SQLA was renamed to SQLOLD, check DNS server to see if the record for SQLA still exists.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 3:02 AM
  • SQL Server clustering has its own dedicated forum because SQL can behave a little differently in a cluster than other roles.  You will find the SQL HA experts here - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=sqldisasterrecovery  You will have access to more knowledgeable resources in that forum.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178083.aspx provides instructions on renaming a SQL instance within a cluster.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 2:18 PM
  • I don't understand when you say logon to node directly. The only way I know to logon to a remote server is using the program mstsc  ( Remote Desktop Connection ).

Please explain what you mean by logon node directly.

ARASKAS

• Edited by ARASKAS Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:06 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:03 PM
  • Logging on directory would be logging on through the system console.  However, you should be able to perform the rename from an RDP (mstsc) session.

Friday, March 17, 2017 1:33 AM
  • Thanks Tim! I will visit the SQL Server clustering forum for answers.

Btw  what are the dot symbols in front of your name ? Doesn't appear to be Braille notation though :)

ARASKAS

Friday, March 17, 2017 5:01 PM
  • "what are the dot symbols in front of your name ?"

Thanks for reminding me.  That is the Cisco logo.  But since I retired from Cisco, I should remove it.

Friday, March 17, 2017 10:52 PM
  • Hi friend, I have the same inconvenience please can you tell me that you applied for this change. Regards.
    Tuesday, September 24, 2019 3:19 PM
  • As your question is related to a specific application running on failover clusters, the suggestion to take it to the forum dedicated to that application running on failover clusters still stands.  You are much more likely to find an answer to your question about a SQL failover instance in the SQL HA forum located at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=sqldisasterrecovery

Additionally, there was a reference to an article about how to accomplish this.  Did you attempt to follow the instructions provided by https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178083.aspx?  If those instructions did not work, please explain your configuration, the exact steps you followed, and any error messages you received to the experts in the SQL HA forum.

tim

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 1:27 PM