Internet Printing - The printer name is invalid

All replies

• I'm not sure why adding the CNAME registry would make any difference.

The binary included in the QFE : is a client side fix.  Installing this on the print server will not have any impact for the clients.

PS the Internet Print Client feature is not needed on the print server, this is only used when the server is connecting to Internet shared printers.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 5:41 AM
  • Prior to adding the cname change adding the printer from a laptop on the LAN failed to connect unless I connected to \\servername\printername, after the cname change I can connect to \\\printername so it has had some effect.

From what I read so far it seems that Internet Printing on 2008 is there to allow you to connect to your print server using HTTP, whereas under 2003 it was more about proxying the connection to the printer with a webserver, which is really what I want to do.

I dont have a 2k3 webserver anymore and I dont want to put one in just to make some printers available.  Do you have any suggestions about what else I can try?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:42 AM
  • In 2003 the Internet printing client was included by default.  Internet print server was enabled by installing IIS.

In Vista+ Internet printing client is enabled on Ultimate and lower version and disabled on Server.  You can install the client as a feature on 2008 + in order to connect to printers shared from the web page.  There is a QFE for this feature, which needs to be installed on all the Vista and Windows 7 clients.

Internet printing is a Print server role service that depends on IIS components and will install these when using Server Manager UI.  There is not a QFE for 2008 R2 in this component.

Internet printing has changed very little between 2000 and 2008 R2.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 5:06 PM
  • Hi thanks for this information, any suggestions on resolving the error:

Printer Installation Failed.  The printer name is invalid.

I can add the printers via UNC path, and manage them via the web, but I can not connect to the via HTTP (on the LAN) or HTTPS (via the internet)

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:37 PM
  • There are a couple other posts in this forum regarding authentication settings in IE on the client and in IIS on the print server.  I only use this in a trusted domain setting so I do not know how to configure the settings the way you wish to use this feature.

What OS are the client machines?

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:20 AM
  • Hi Alan,

I am doing my testing from a Win 7 Enterprise 32bit machine and a Win 7 Ultimate x64 machine.  As we are wanting printing to be available for contractors working on their own laptops ideally we want internet printing available to any OS they may be running.  32 and 64 bit drivers are installed on the server.

I have read several threads on this issue and as mentioned in my original post: On the machine accessing via the internet I have tested with the site as local intranet and with the site added as a trusted site with medium / low security and the password is saved - This matches the recommendations I have read.

I have now fired up a Win2k3 server as an interim while I get the 2k8 server running. This is working with issues printing to the same printer .  Once of the things I noticed is that the adding the printer on the 2k3 box adds a virtual folder on the default webside of /printername which points to /printers/printername/.printer - this isnt happening on the 2k8 r2 server.

Client security aside, I can't connect to the printer using HTTP even on LAN clients where the webserver is set to local intranet, which has me thinking there is an issue with how this server is publishing the printer (the management page is there though).

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:37 AM
  • Has this EVER been resolved? I've trolled around the internet now for a week and NOTHING I try fixes this issue. Setup is same as original poster.
    Friday, November 01, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Hi, I have a 2003 server still running specifically for internet printing. Admittedly I've not tried to get it running again since posting this back in 2010.
    Monday, November 18, 2013 3:38 AM
  • It's a shame no one has found a fix for this. If they have I have yet to find it.

Thanks for your reply James

Monday, November 18, 2013 10:20 PM
  • Hi James,

I am encountering the same problem with a Win2008 server and was wondering if you have found the solution to this problem?  Did  you find any information regarding this issue?

If not, have you found an alternate solution?

Monday, September 14, 2015 1:00 PM