Server 2012 backup fails while preparing one of the local volumes with "the mounted backup volume is inaccessible" RRS feed

• Question

• This is a new installation and configuring the backup for the first time. We have two local volumes C and E and a Hyper-V guest located on E. We are trying to backup everything every night and by default windows offers to backup it all including system state, hyperv, and the volumes.

After configuring the backup completes on System state and C: just fine and then moves to E:. Before it even displays a total drive size it calls an error and fails the backup with 'The mounted backup volume is inaccessible." The error in event log is 0x807800C5 which in all my searches of forums seems to be related to others doing backups to network drives. I'm using the dedicated local drive option and have added the drives as valid backup destinations.

Upon further looking if I examine C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup\Backup_error-xxxxx.log I find the following:

Backup of volume E: has failed. The mounted backup volume is inaccessible. Please retry the operation.

Application backup
    Writer Id: {66841CD4-6DED-4F4B-8F17-FD23F8DDC3DE}
       Component: 5C9E0993-9FC4-494E-B6E7-28C7A2C22597
       Caption     : Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\SERVERF-APPS-HV
       Logical Path:

Component: Host Component
       Caption     : Host Component
       Logical Path:

E: has roughly 5.4TB free space and is using approximately 0.5TB total. My backup drives are empty 3TB drives.

I had Shadow Copy enabled for drive E so I tried changing the size limits to No Limit and when that didn't help I disabled Shadow Copy entirely on E:.

I'm at a loss of where to go next. It's difficult for me to make many changes because I have 6 backup destinations setup for the server and the infurating problem with needing to have all the destinations plugged in before you can successfully make changes to the backup settings is making it real difficult to try many things. I am remote to this server and had to make some serious changes to get the 6 drives all connected to begin with. (Yes, I read and tried all the command line suggestions which used to work on 2008 R2 just fine and now don't in 2012.)

Jeremy Regehr

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:50 PM

Answers

• It turns out the backup set was corrupted.

We renamed the 'windowsimagebackup' folder on the external drive to 'windowsimagebackup.old' which forced it to create a new directory.

The backups then completed successfully.

Hope this helps others.

Friday, March 8, 2013 10:11 PM

All replies

• I was also going to say that I first wondered if it was the fact that my HyperV guest was also located on E: but I have three other 2012 servers with only a single volume and a Hyper-V guest installed on their C: volumes and they are backing up just fine.

Jeremy Regehr

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:52 PM
  • Bump. No one has any ideas?

Jeremy Regehr

Friday, March 1, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Hi Jeremy,

Though you mentioned they are local volumes, I would like to confirm if any storage device is involved such as SAN, as like you said this error seems more likely related to network drives.

And as it is the default backup, please test to manually create a backup to backup the drive E to see the result --- if still failed, test to backup a file or a folder on drive E.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 4, 2013 1:34 AM
  • No SAN or iSCSI are involved whatsoever. All volumes being backed up at DAS internal RAID storage on the server. That is, both C: and E: are internal RAID sets. The backup destinations are local dedicated USB Western Digital 3TB hard drives. The server involved is a Lenovo RD430 2U server brand new.

So in order to test the "manual" backup you mention I stopped the schedule so it wiped out the reference to my dedicated backup drives in the schedule then ran a Backup Once. I selected the currently connected backup drive that now has a drive letter assigned to it (I:) and selected to backup only E:. 

The symptom is the same. It sits on "backup in progress" for roughly 4-5 minutes then errors out the same way. The event log again is: 

The backup operation that started at '‎2013‎-‎03‎-‎04T20:39:21.111166900Z' has failed with following error code '0x807800C5' (There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

Jeremy Regehr

Monday, March 4, 2013 8:43 PM
  • No SAN or iSCSI are involved whatsoever. All volumes being backed up at DAS internal RAID storage on the server. That is, both C: and E: are internal RAID sets. The backup destinations are local dedicated USB Western Digital 3TB hard drives. The server involved is a Lenovo RD430 2U server brand new.

So in order to test the "manual" backup you mention I stopped the schedule so it wiped out the reference to my dedicated backup drives in the schedule then ran a Backup Once. I selected the currently connected backup drive that now has a drive letter assigned to it (I:) and selected to backup only E:. 

The symptom is the same. It sits on "backup in progress" for roughly 4-5 minutes then errors out the same way. The event log again is: 

The backup operation that started at '‎2013‎-‎03‎-‎04T20:39:21.111166900Z' has failed with following error code '0x807800C5' (There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

Jeremy Regehr

I should add that when i try to select and backup just one folder from E: then the status sits at "Preparing media to store backups..." Then it fails again. This time the event viewer reads:

The backup operation that started at '‎2013‎-‎03‎-‎04T20:45:59.789523400Z' has failed with following error code '0x8078014D' (There was a failure in updating the backup for deleted items.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

Jeremy Regehr

Monday, March 4, 2013 10:08 PM
  • It turns out the backup set was corrupted.

We renamed the 'windowsimagebackup' folder on the external drive to 'windowsimagebackup.old' which forced it to create a new directory.

Hope this helps others.

Friday, March 8, 2013 10:11 PM
  • I had a similar situation with my win 2012 server.  I was getting this:

Backup of volume C: has failed. The mounted backup volume is inaccessible. Please retry the operation.

My destination volume is on a netapp, and at another site, I was unable to open the share.  I found out that I had to turn on smb2 signing to allow access for win 8/ win2012 systems, and that fixed the problem there.

options cifs.smb2.signing.required on

The situation at my main site was slightly different.  I was able to access the share, so didn't think it was the same problem.  After exhausting other options, I turned the smb2 signing option on, and then had to delete the windowsimagebackup folder, after which it ran successfully.

Thanks for the tip

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:29 PM
  • This is a new installation and configuring the backup for the first time. We have two local volumes C and E and a Hyper-V guest located on E. We are trying to backup everything every night and by default windows offers to backup it all including system state, hyperv, and the volumes.

After configuring the backup completes on System state and C: just fine and then moves to E:. Before it even displays a total drive size it calls an error and fails the backup with 'The mounted backup volume is inaccessible." The error in event log is 0x807800C5 which in all my searches of forums seems to be related to others doing backups to network drives. I'm using the dedicated local drive option and have added the drives as valid backup destinations.

Upon further looking if I examine C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup\Backup_error-xxxxx.log I find the following:

Backup of volume E: has failed. The mounted backup volume is inaccessible. Please retry the operation.

Application backup
       Component: 5C9E0993-9FC4-494E-B6E7-28C7A2C22597
       Caption     : Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\SERVERF-APPS-HV
       Logical Path:

Component: Host Component
       Caption     : Host Component
       Logical Path:

E: has roughly 5.4TB free space and is using approximately 0.5TB total. My backup drives are empty 3TB drives.

I had Shadow Copy enabled for drive E so I tried changing the size limits to No Limit and when that didn't help I disabled Shadow Copy entirely on E:.

I'm at a loss of where to go next. It's difficult for me to make many changes because I have 6 backup destinations setup for the server and the infurating problem with needing to have all the destinations plugged in before you can successfully make changes to the backup settings is making it real difficult to try many things. I am remote to this server and had to make some serious changes to get the 6 drives all connected to begin with. (Yes, I read and tried all the command line suggestions which used to work on 2008 R2 just fine and now don't in 2012.)

Jeremy Regehr

there is a solution

It turns out the backup set was corrupted.

Hope this helps others.

Tanks a lot TimothyCR<abbr class="affil"></abbr>                        

Monday, May 26, 2014 4:38 PM
  • Same story here - corrupted backup destination.

Regards,

Pawel

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:44 PM
  • Wow, this totally worked for me!  Spent hours on this, thanks for the info!
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 4:19 PM
  • My problem was on two PCs on the network. When I read all suggestions I remembered that I stopped that PCs when I just started their first backups since I decided to change just the backup schedule. These two PCs were stopping backup when they started creating system image. I changed target backup-folder and everything was fine. 

Thanks for all suggestions here.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 10:50 PM