none
Windows 2008 Kerbtray and/or ADSIEdit and other resource kit tools

Question

• All,

I've looked but can't find any references to a kerbtray or ADSIEdit version for Windows Server 2008.  I would assume that a version of kerbtray and adsiedit for 2008 exists, but can't find it anywhere.  Anyone know whether there are such things?  Or should I just be using the 2003 versions of kerbtray and adsiedit?

I've found that ldifde is installed as part of the active directory services.  SPN comes with every server, as far as I can tell.  Don't know about the others...also wondering where netmon can be found.  If it only were as simple as downloading a resource kit in 2008...

Thanks in advance!
    Friday, August 15, 2008 7:57 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

ADSIEdit is also installed as part of the AD DS server role in Windows Server 2008, just like you saw with ldifde. In Windows Server 2008, all tools that used to ship in Support folder or reskit are installed along with the server role that they are intended to support.

Not sure about kerbtray - I don't see it installed on my test DC, so i think it might not be included in 2008. Netmon is not included with Windows Server 2008.

You can also get all of the 2008 tools by dwonloading RSAT from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9FF6E897-23CE-4A36-B7FC-D52065DE9960&displaylang=en

You need to install the tools for each server role you want to manage.

Hope that helps,
    Justin
    Friday, August 15, 2008 8:47 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

ADSIEdit is also installed as part of the AD DS server role in Windows Server 2008, just like you saw with ldifde. In Windows Server 2008, all tools that used to ship in Support folder or reskit are installed along with the server role that they are intended to support.

Not sure about kerbtray - I don't see it installed on my test DC, so i think it might not be included in 2008. Netmon is not included with Windows Server 2008.

You can also get all of the 2008 tools by dwonloading RSAT from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9FF6E897-23CE-4A36-B7FC-D52065DE9960&displaylang=en

You need to install the tools for each server role you want to manage.

Hope that helps,
    Justin
    Friday, August 15, 2008 8:47 PM
  • Those tools are for Windows Vista and when you try to install rsat on the server you get the error saying this update is not supported on this operating system.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:49 PM
  • In an effort to consolidate the great troubleshooting solutions offered in this thread, we have summarized the information contained here into a Technet Wiki article at the following location:

Please feel free to provide feedback on the article at the Wiki site, or you can edit the article itself.

Thanks,

Davanand Bahall - MSFT

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:41 PM