none
Can't add 32-bit printer driver to 64-bit Windows 2008

Question

• Hi, I see a lot of similar questions here, but I haven't been able to get the solutions listed to work.

I have a Windows 2008 64 bit server, and Windows 7 32-bit and XP-32 bit clients.

I'm trying to get an HP Laserjet 5200 PCL 5 series driver installed to work on both 32 and 64-bit platforms. This is a built-in driver in Windows 2008.

I've added the driver and the 64-bit server sees it and prints just fine. When I go to the Sharing tab to add additional drivers, click X86, it wants to browse for an INF file. This is where I get stuck. From what I've read here, people have been going to a 32-bit install of Windows 7/2008, and extracting c:\windows\winsxs\x86_ntprint.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_3ad6f3251c0676a9. So I did the same and when I point Windows to that location, I get "The specified location does not contain the driver HP Laserjet 5200 Series PCL 5 for the requested processor architecture."

Again, these are the drivers bundled with Windows. So what's up? I can't believe it's this difficult to install a driver supplied with the OS.

Friday, May 20, 2011 9:38 PM

Answers

• I must've had some issue with the spooler service. I've since been able to use the Xerox Global drivers everywhere. It's been by far the fastest way for me to get the 32-bit drivers going for 64-bit servers. It includes the ntprint.inf that Windows is really looking for when you try to install the 32-bit drivers in the Additional drivers section of the Sharing tab.
    • Marked as answer by Sir_Timbit Wednesday, June 08, 2011 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 3:28 PM

All replies

• Most print drivers from 2008 are not available in Windows 7.  2008 drivers were moved to Windows Update.  Download the driver and use expand to generate the correct directory structure for the file set

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    Friday, May 20, 2011 10:48 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the update. I must not be adding the drivers correctly as I'm still stuck. Can you clarify things here?

Again, I've got a 64-bit system, and I'm trying to add the 32-bit driver to it.

1) Went to Windows Update Catalog and downloaded the x86 driver for the HP Laserjet 5200 series PCL 5 into a new folder.

2) In that folder, ran expand *.cab -F:* c:\hp5200. This created, among other files, prnhp001.inf

3) In c:\hp5200, ran pnputil.exe -i -a prnhp001.inf. Got the message "Successfully installed the driver on a device on the system. Driver added successfully. Published name: oem25.inf"

4) When I go back to the Sharing tab to try to add the x86 driver, it's still trying to locate it, and I'm not sure where to point it to. oem25.inf is located in c:\windows\inf, and it does show various HP driver info including the Laserjet 5200, but still I get the error "The specified location does not contain the driver HP Laserjet 5200 Series PCL 5 for the requested processor architecture."

I read elsewhere on the forum that there are problems with 32/64 bit driver inf files if the printer description name isn't exactly the same, etc, but as far as I can tell, the name listed in 64 bit Windows matches the name listed in that driver.

Or should I be pointing Windows to a different location than c:\windows\inf?

Thanks in advance,

Sir_Timbit

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:51 AM
  • I'm not sure what pnputil.exe does, I have never used this.  Make sure you check the correct x86 box.  Point to the location where you expanded the files.  There should be a i386 directory where the printer files exist. 

To install cross-architecture drivers using the Print Management snap-in on computers running Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

1. Open the Print Management snap-in. Click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Print Management.

2. In the Print Management tree, under Print Servers, click the print server you want.

3. Under the print server, right-click Drivers and then select Add Driver to open the Add Printer Driver Wizard.

4. Follow the steps as indicated by the wizard.

To install cross-architecture drivers by using only the Printer Properties dialog box on computers running Windows XP and Windows Server 2003

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and double-click Printers.

2. Select Printer. Right-click Sharing.

3. Click Additional Drivers and select Processor from the list.

4. Follow the instructions in the dialog boxes to install the correct driver. Only install the driver associated with the printer you are administering.

noteNote

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:43 PM
    Answerer
  • pnputil.exe is a utility to install drivers into the driver store. It was linked to in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166
     that you pointed me to.

The drivers are there. But I'm pretty sure that the problem is the server is looking for the ntprint.inf file.

I tried using the Xerox Global Printer PS drivers. Those included the ntprint.inf for both x86 and x64. Still no dice though.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sir_timbit

Thursday, June 02, 2011 9:56 PM
  • I must've had some issue with the spooler service. I've since been able to use the Xerox Global drivers everywhere. It's been by far the fastest way for me to get the 32-bit drivers going for 64-bit servers. It includes the ntprint.inf that Windows is really looking for when you try to install the 32-bit drivers in the Additional drivers section of the Sharing tab.
    • Marked as answer by Sir_Timbit Wednesday, June 08, 2011 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 3:28 PM