none
RHEL 7.0 / CentOS 7.0 ; RHEL 6.5 / CentOS 6.5 ; RHEL 6.4 / CentOS 6.4 include support for Hyper-V drivers RRS feed

• Question

• RHEL 6.4 / CentOS 6.4 include support for Hyper-V drivers

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6-Beta/html/6.4_Release_Notes/index.html
    ==
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 Beta

Release Notes

. . .

8. Virtualization
    . . .
    8.2. Hyper-V
    . . .
    ==

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6-Beta/html/6.4_Release_Notes/virtualization.html
    ==
    . . .

8.2. Hyper-V

Inclusion of, and Guest Installation Support for, Microsoft Hyper-V Drivers

Integrated Red Hat Enterprise Linux guest installation, and Hyper-V para-virtualized device support in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 on Microsoft Hyper-V allows users to run Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 as a guest on top of Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisors. The following Hyper-V drivers and a clock source have been added to the kernel shipped with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4:

a network driver ( hv_netvsc)

a storage driver ( hv_storvsc)

an HID-compliant mouse driver ( hid_hyperv)

a VMbus driver ( hv_vmbus)

a util driver ( hv_util)

an IDE disk driver ( ata_piix)

a clock source (i386, AMD64/Intel 64: hyperv_clocksource)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 also includes support for Hyper-V as a clock source and a guest Hyper-V Key-Value Pair (KVP) daemon ( hypervkvpd) that passes basic information, such as the guest IP, the FQDN, OS name, and OS release number, to the host through VMbus.

. . .
    ==

• Edited by Victor Miasnikov Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:44 PM RHEL 7.0 / CentOS 7.0 ;
    Friday, December 7, 2012 10:41 AM

Answers

~

RTM Released . . .

~

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html-single/6.4_Release_Notes/index.html

==

8.2. Hyper-V

. . .

VVM: all from v6.4 Beta and:

. . .

Hyper-V balloon Driver

On Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 guests, the balloon driver, a basic driver for the dynamic memory management functionality supported on Hyper-V hosts, was added. The balloon driver is used to dynamically remove memory from a virtual machine. Windows guests support Dynamic Memory with a combination of ballooning and hot adding. In the current implementation of the balloon driver for Linux, only the ballooning functionality is implemented, not the hot-add functionality.

==

~

~

~

~

~

~

http://vvm.blog.tut.by/2013/02/26/rhel-6-4-on-hyper-v/

==

. . .

RHEL 6.4 -- lsmod with hv_balloon

. . .

==

~

~

MikeLim :

~

Our CentOS VMs with Integration Services 3.4 was updated from 6.3 to 6.4.

Integration components 3.4 are replaced by RedHat's versions.  modinfo hv_vmbus shows 3.1 instead of 3.4.

[user@ns ~]# modinfo hv_vmbus
    filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.32-358.0.1.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/hv/hv_vmbus.ko
    version:        3.1

~~

"modinfo hv_vmbus shows 3.1"   -- and what bad? estetic?

~~

Timo Weberskirch :

~

CentOs 6.3 -- some issuse during installation (no mouse support and so on).

~

In EL6.4 Mouse issue during installation -- FIXed  ( but in EL5.9 -- no fixed )

~

~

~

{{{

~

Scientific Linux 6.4 x86_64 BETA 1 2013-03-04

SL-6.4-x86_64-DVD.iso

SHA1= cb08e41f027bafcfc850afa47b0bba998859b809

~

~

~

look like work on Hyper-V equal as EL 6.4 ( TUV 6.4 in SL terminology )

}}}

{{

----- Original Message -----
    To: "Victor Miasnikov"
    Cc: "KY Srinivasan"
    Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 9:43 AM

~

>curriegrad2004  say  March 18, 2013 7:01 AM
    >
    > One word of caution about EL6.4's hv_balloon driver - It doesn't work because
    > it's missing 2 patches that's currently sitting in the linux-3.8 tree.

For the balloon issue, two drivers are needed to trace the Dynamic Memory, one is hv_balloon and the other is memory hot-add. Now only support hv_balloon. The RHEL6.4 guest could balloon from Min RAM to Startup RAM. The following bugs may be help to know more. More balloon bugs are in bugzilla, you could search for them, if needed.

Bug 885572 - Hyperv balloon driver for 6.4
    Bug 902232 - [Hyper-V]The Memory Demand value and the Memory Status of the RHEL guest are not correct after balloon
    Bug 927417 - [RFE][Hyper-V][RHEL6.5]Support memory hot-add as part of the ballooning driver

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=885572

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=902232

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=927417

}}

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:51 AM

All replies

~

RTM Released . . .

~

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html-single/6.4_Release_Notes/index.html

==

8.2. Hyper-V

. . .

VVM: all from v6.4 Beta and:

. . .

Hyper-V balloon Driver

On Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 guests, the balloon driver, a basic driver for the dynamic memory management functionality supported on Hyper-V hosts, was added. The balloon driver is used to dynamically remove memory from a virtual machine. Windows guests support Dynamic Memory with a combination of ballooning and hot adding. In the current implementation of the balloon driver for Linux, only the ballooning functionality is implemented, not the hot-add functionality.

==

~

~

~

~

~

~

http://vvm.blog.tut.by/2013/02/26/rhel-6-4-on-hyper-v/

==

. . .

RHEL 6.4 -- lsmod with hv_balloon

. . .

==

~

~

MikeLim :

~

Integration components 3.4 are replaced by RedHat's versions.  modinfo hv_vmbus shows 3.1 instead of 3.4.

filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.32-358.0.1.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/hv/hv_vmbus.ko

~~

~~

Timo Weberskirch :

~

~

~

~

~

{{{

~

Scientific Linux 6.4 x86_64 BETA 1 2013-03-04

SL-6.4-x86_64-DVD.iso

SHA1= cb08e41f027bafcfc850afa47b0bba998859b809

~

~

~

look like work on Hyper-V equal as EL 6.4 ( TUV 6.4 in SL terminology )

}}}

{{

~

>

For the balloon issue, two drivers are needed to trace the Dynamic Memory, one is hv_balloon and the other is memory hot-add. Now only support hv_balloon. The RHEL6.4 guest could balloon from Min RAM to Startup RAM. The following bugs may be help to know more. More balloon bugs are in bugzilla, you could search for them, if needed.

Bug 902232 - [Hyper-V]The Memory Demand value and the Memory Status of the RHEL guest are not correct after balloon
    Bug 927417 - [RFE][Hyper-V][RHEL6.5]Support memory hot-add as part of the ballooning driver

}}

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:51 AM
  • I'm currently running some centos 6.3 x86_64 under hyper-v using the latest linux integration services. Now that centos 6.4 is released is it safe to perform a "yum update" that will migrate my boxes from 6.3 or 6.4 ? Should I uninstall the Integrazione Services ?

Regards

Fabio

Saturday, March 9, 2013 12:36 PM
  • I confirm that Centos 6.4 release work flawlessly in Hyper-V WITHOUT integration tools.
    Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:44 PM
  • Hallo everyone,

we're running up to 10 Hyper-V VMs running CentOs 6.3 with Integration Services Version 3.4.

There were some issuse during installation (no mouse support and so on). I'm going to test the new version in our environment. I'll let you know if i can find any issues.

Regards 

Timo

I confirm that Centos 6.4 release work flawlessly in Hyper-V WITHOUT integration tools.

Monday, March 11, 2013 9:33 AM
  • I'm currently running some centos 6.3 x86_64 under hyper-v using the latest linux integration services. Now that centos 6.4 is released is it safe to perform a "yum update" that will migrate my boxes from 6.3 or 6.4 ? Should I uninstall the Integrazione Services ?

[user@ns ~]# lsmod | grep hv_
    hv_balloon              9334  0
    hv_utils                7012  0
    hv_netvsc              23667  0
    hv_storvsc             10022  2
    hv_vmbus               91567  5 hv_balloon,hv_utils,hid_hyperv,hv_netvsc,hv_storvsc
    license:        GPL
    srcversion:     2D5911DBE8B6E91D2EEA54F
    alias:          acpi*:VMBus:*
    alias:          acpi*:VMBUS:*
    depends:
    vermagic:       2.6.32-358.0.1.el6.x86_64 SMP mod_unload modversions
    [root@ns1 ~]#

Monday, March 11, 2013 12:38 PM
  • I can also confirm that simply upgrading from centos 6.3 (with the integration services installed) via "yum update" works just fine in hyper-v on server 2012.
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:06 PM
  • One word of caution about EL6.4's hv_balloon driver - It doesn't work because it's missing 2 patches that's currently sitting in the linux-3.8 tree.

I've reported this bug to upstream and we'll see how they respond.

All posted advice may not be all that accurate. As always, test it in a lab before you try my advice! Best of all, the documentation is your friend.

Monday, March 18, 2013 7:01 AM
  • Monday, April 15, 2013 2:19 PM

{{

~

>

}}

2013-10-31:

FIXed in RHEL 6.5 Beta

Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:10 AM
  • ~~

Timo Weberskirch :

~

~

~

2013-10-31:

FIXed in Fedora v20.0 Aplha4

(

After download CentOs bootcd and testing,

I write  info about EL 5.10

)

Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:15 AM
  • On Monday, April 15, 2013 2:19 PM :

~

MikeLim :

~

~~

~~

2013-10-31:

Is small issue, primary estetic

See details in

CentOS 6.4 with IC 3.1 problem?

==

~

~

yesterday ( i.e. March 18, 2013)

I (   aksouzafeiris   )

downloaded and install CentOS 6.4 (says that has IC built-in) in my Hyper-V 2008 R2, till now the Virtual Machine has no problem, the thing is that when i've done:

[root@ZZZZZZZ ~]# /sbin/modinfo hv_vmbus
    filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.32-358.2.1.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/hv/hv_vmbus.ko

. . .

vermagic:       2.6.32-358.2.1.el6.x86_64 SMP mod_unload modversions

It says that has 3.1 IC..

is that a problem?

do i have to upgrade at IC 3.4 and if i have to do i have to go 3.1 -> 3.2 -> 3.3 -> 3.4 or i can go

from 3.1 to 3.4 straight forward?

~

See

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=908622

{{

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=908622#c4

==

Victor Miasnikov 2013-04-08 06:53:45 EDT

Need fix version output for modinfo hv_* :

Actual results:

==

# modinfo hv_vmbus

. . .

version:        3.1

==

Expected results:

==

# modinfo hv_vmbus

. . .

version:        3.5

====

}}

. . .

==

Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:17 AM
  • I doubt these were actually released in the final distribution because I have not been able to download a single RHEL/CentOS 6.4 or 6.5 ISO with a kernel that will actually support Dynamic Memory on HyperV 2012R2.
    Monday, December 9, 2013 10:19 PM
  • ~

~

I doubt these were actually released in the final distribution because I have not been able to download a single RHEL/CentOS 6.4 or 6.5 ISO with a kernel that will actually support Dynamic Memory on HyperV 2012R2.

~

1)

RHЕL/CentOS/SL  6.4 contain support "dynamic memory"  "minimum . . startup memory" , 6.5 -- "minimum . . startup memory . . maximum"

2) May be need wait for accept patch described in

~

Bug 979257 - [Hyper-V][RHEL6.5][RFE]in-kernel online support for memory hot-add

+

Dynamic Memory on Linux VM

+

http://vvm.blog.tut.by/2013/09/11/linux-hyper-v-dynamic-memory-hot-add/ 

~

{{

2013-12-12:

2b)  Or use udev rule

Michael Kelley:

The VM crash with 6.5 should be fixed by adding the udev rule.  The udev rule looks like: 

SUBSYSTEM=="memory", ACTION=="add", DEVPATH=="/devices/system/memory/memory*[0-9]", TEST=="/sys$devpath/state", RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo online > /sys$devpath/state'"

~

~

}}

2013-12-13:

{{

Nikolay Pushkarev :

Following rule works slightly faster for me (assuming that memory0 bank always in online state):

SUBSYSTEM=="memory", ACTION=="add", DEVPATH=="/devices/system/memory/memory[1-9]*", RUN+="/bin/cp /sys$devpath/../memory0/state /sys$devpath/state"

}}

3)

~

"Startup, Max and Min parameters will have to aligned to 128MB"

http://blogs.technet.com/b/virtualization/archive/2013/07/24/enabling-linux-support-on-windows-server-2012-r2-hyper-v.aspx

Comment 2

==

. . .

Dynamic Memory should work on Server 2008 R2. The only caveat will be that the values for Startup, Max and Min parameters will have to aligned to 128MB. More of this information will be contained in soon to be released notes.

Go ahead and try out a SLES 11 SP3

==

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:03 AM
  • Documentation on the features available in the different Linux distros is now available on the Microsoft TechNet site. See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn531026.aspx for the details of RHEL/CentOS.   Updates for RHEL/CentOS 6.5 have not yet been posted, but will be soon.

For the 6.4 version, only "ballooning" is available.

For the 6.5 version, both "hot add" and "ballooning" are available, but there is a udev rule that must be added in order for the hot-add to work and avoid a Linux kernel panic.

What specific behavior are you seeing that leads you to believe you are not getting the dynamic memory support?

Michael Kelley, Lead Program Manager, Open Source Technology Center

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:56 PM
  • VM is configured with 512MB start and 8192MB max for dynamic RAM, as required for the the 128MB block alignment.

To start when I boot the guest OS (6.4 or 6.5) I get the following warning:

[SRAT: hotplug zone not continuous]

When I then try to start Jetty on the VM it crashes because there is not enough free memory on the system.

When I edit the VM config to have 8192MB start and 8192MB max dynamic RAM, the memory never shrinks either but I believe that's not supported anyway.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 7:19 PM
  • ~

Part of Message 1/2    Actual Only for  EL 6.4  (!)

~

VM is configured with 512MB start and 8192MB max for dynamic RAM, as required for the the 128MB block alignment.

To start when I boot the guest OS (6.4 ) I get the following warning:

[SRAT: hotplug zone not continuous]

When I then try to start Jetty on the VM it crashes because there is not enough free memory on the system.

~

for EL 6.4   this "512MB start and 8192MB max for dynamic RAM"  simply can not sense

i.e.

only "ballooning" is available

{=}

support "dynamic memory"  "minimum . . startup memory"

~

Please use

"512MB start and 512MB max for dynamic RAM"

Or

"X MB start and X MB max for dynamic RAM"

Or

"8192MB start and 8192MB max for dynamic RAM"

i.e. set  Startup memory equal Maximum memory

~

When I edit the VM config to have 8192MB start and 8192MB max dynamic RAM, the memory never shrinks either but I believe that's not supported anyway.

~

In EL 6.4  "memory shrink" implemented and work

~

{{

2013-12-12

Michael Kelley say:

==

Both 6.4 and 6.5 support ballooning, so the memory should shrink if Hyper-V needs it for other VMs. 
    But you won't see the reduced memory using the memory counters within Linux --
    you'll only see it happening if you look at the Hyper-V counters.

==

Yes

}}

~

Part of Message 2/2    Actual Only for  EL 6.5  (!)

~

On EL 6.5  "both "hot add" and "ballooning" are available"

( and  "memory shrink" to)

~

In case EL 6.5 this

-- get  warning:  [SRAT: hotplug zone not continuous]

-- "VM it crashes because there is not enough free memory"

look like as actual problem

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:02 AM
  • The VM crash with 6.5 should be fixed by adding the udev rule.  The udev rule looks like:  SUBSYSTEM=="memory", ACTION=="add", DEVPATH=="/devices/system/memory/memory*[0-9]", TEST=="/sys$devpath/state", RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo online > /sys$devpath/state'"

Because 6.4 does not support hot-add, you'll need to configure with Start and Max memory equal to each other.

Both 6.4 and 6.5 support ballooning, so the memory should shrink if Hyper-V needs it for other VMs.  But you won't see the reduced memory using the memory counters within Linux -- you'll only see it happening if you look at the Hyper-V counters.

Michael Kelley, Lead Program Manager, Open Source Technology Center

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 11:41 PM
  • Following rule works slightly faster for me (assuming that memory0 bank always in online state):

SUBSYSTEM=="memory", ACTION=="add", DEVPATH=="/devices/system/memory/memory[1-9]*", RUN+="/bin/cp /sys$devpath/../memory0/state /sys$devpath/state"

And one more thing, udev solution doesn't work in 32-bit kernel architecture, only for 64-bit. Is this by design or yet another bug?

Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:12 PM
  • ~

~

And one more thing, udev solution doesn't work in 32-bit kernel architecture, only for 64-bit. Is this by design or yet another bug?

~

~

Linux VM shows continous CPU load

==

Abhishek Gupta  say:

Furthermore, Hot-Add will not work on 32 bit builds because MEMORY_HOTPLUG feature is turned off on 32 bit kernels. So Dynamic Memory will only work on 64-bit systems.

==

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:26 AM
  • ~~

On EL 6.5  "both "hot add" and "ballooning" are available"

( and  "memory shrink" to)

~~

And RHEL v7.0 "both dynamic memory "hot add" and "ballooning" are available" and work as need

+ see

RHEL v7.0 inside Hyper-V VM Generation 2

==

RHEL v7.0 inside Hyper-V VM Generation 2 (GEN 2)

==

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:06 AM