none
Implementing 2nd Remote Desktop Server - Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I currently have a Remote Desktop Server "Windows Server 2012 R2" running in a small but busy Accounting Office and it's working great but during last tax season it bogged down from time to time so we are considering implementing a 2nd Remote Desktop Server to help service the load..

Here's some details:

1 - Approx 30 Users running MSOffice and Accounting Apps connecting via RDWeb to run Apps..

2 - The current RDS is a Physical installation with no Gateway as there's no external access at this time to limit security issues.

Question: My plan is to install a New Host "Windows Server 2016" and implement the new RDS as a Virtual Server and I'm not sure if I should tie it back to the current Physical so it can manage the load balancing or if I should just set this up as a separate standalone and just instruct the users how to access each server.. 

My concern is if I tie it to the Physical RDS and there's a problem with the physical server then will it prevent users from accessing the new Virtual RDS.. 

Thanks for you help...Scott

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 3:04 PM

All replies

• hi,
     1 “For RD Session Hosts - all Session Hosts in a collection need to be at the same level, but you can have multiple collections. You can have a collection with Windows Server 2012 R2 Session Hosts and one with Windows Server 2016 Session Hosts.”
    Supported configurations for Remote Desktop Services in Windows Server 2016
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-supported-config

2 “
    My concern is if I tie it to the Physical RDS and there's a problem with the physical server then will it prevent users from accessing the new Virtual RDS.. 
    if the new session host w2016 is in new collection ,end user still can remote access this new session host server.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 10:23 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Andy..

Okay I know just enough to be dangerous so sorry if these are dumb questions..

My current Physical 2012 R2 / RDS Server Deployment Overview Contains the following:

- RD Web Access

- RD Licensing

- RD Connection Broker

- RD Session Host "Server APPs"

- RD Virtualization Host  

Based on your comments it sounds like I'm okay to Add the New Windows 2016 Sever to the Session Host on the 2012 R2 Box correct?  

From a few YouTube How to videos that explain how to add a Session Host it looks like it will add the Remote Desktop Services Role "RD Session Host" to the New 2016 Server and all should be good.  If that's correct then I'm concerned with what would happened if the Physical "2012 R2 RDS Deployment" fails, would both of my RDS Sessions be dead in the water until that's fixed or what am I missing here.. 

Thanks Scott

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 3:25 PM
  • hi,
    Thanks for clarifying your issue and environment. 
    “Based on your comments it sounds like I'm okay to Add the New Windows 2016 Sever to the Session Host on the 2012 R2 Box correct?”
    I think i misunderstood your first post “Question:xxxxxxxxxxx”.Through your second post,i will explain below:
    Based on your comments it sounds like I'm okay to Add the New Windows 2016 Sever to the Session Host on the 2012 R2 Box correct? 
    No, i think the os version of your RDCB server in your w2012r2 rds envionment is still w2012r2.
    from microsoft official website "Windows Server 2016 is backward compatible for these components - so a 2012 R2 RD Session Host can connect to a 2016 RD Connection Broker, but the reverse is not true."
    so you can not add w2016 session host server to new collection in w2012r2 environment directly.

method 1(not recommend): if you still want to add w2016 session host server to new collection in w2012r2 environment,you need to inplace upgrade your RDCB server from w2012r2 to w2016.Meanwile you need to bulid a new RDlicensing server 2016 vm to enroll rds 2016 cal ,set policy to specify RDLS2016 on W2016 session host servers.
    Upgrading your Remote Desktop Services deployments to Windows Server 2016
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/upgrade-to-rds

method 2(recommend):if you have another physical machine ,you can build a new standalone w2016 environment .Deployment Overview Contains the following:
    - RD Web Access windows 2016
    - RD Licensing  windows 2016
    - RD Connection Broker windows 2016
    - RD Session Host "Server APPs" windows 2016
    - RD Virtualization Host        windows 2016
    I think method 2 is best ,it will not affect your original RDS 2012r2 environment at all.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 3:53 AM
  • Thank You for the detailed explanation..

Method 2 is what I anticipate doing.. 

Here's how I plan on setting the new 2016 Environment up...

New Physical Hyper-V Server, Virtual RDS Server and Virtual Session Host.. Please see diagram.. 

Question: Does this layout of the New environment look correct? and once the 2016 environment is up and running would I add the 2012 RDS Session Host to the 2016 environment? or is it best to leave everything separate.

Thanks again for your help / guidance..Scott

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 2:54 PM
  • hi,
    3 Does this layout of the New environment look correct?
    I am not sure what's os version do you want to install on w2016 "physical" ?(window server 2016 standard or window server 2016 Datacenter or Microsoft Hpyer-v server 2016 ?)
    I think you can only build one window server 2016 "physical" like your original windows server 2012 "physical". like below picture .It's easier to maintain when VDI and RDS environment goes wrong.

4 once the 2016 environment is up and running would I add the 2012 RDS Session Host to the 2016 environment? or is it best to leave everything separate.
    leaving everything separate is better

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 6:31 AM
  • Thanks again for the replies Andy..

I'm good with the recommendation but I thought everything was moving towards Virtual environments so I'm surprised to see this.  

Thanks again for your guidance..Scott  

Friday, July 12, 2019 2:25 PM
  • HI
    "but I thought everything was moving towards Virtual environments so I'm surprised to see this. "

From first picture ,
    the vm for RD virtualization host will be installed Hyper-V role , i think you will use "Run Hyper-V in a Virtual Machine with Nested Virtualization" technology.
    but " The labbing and training possibilities are extensive when you think about utilizing the nested virtualization functionality found in Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V. " Meanwhile ,I am not sure if there is software license question when "MAC Address spoofing needs to be enabled" in this technology. so I still don't recommend using this technology in production environment. 

Run Hyper-V in a Virtual Machine with Nested Virtualization
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/nested-virtualization
    How to set up Hyper-V Nested Virtualization in Windows Server 2016
    https://www.vembu.com/blog/setting-hyper-v-nested-virtualization-windows-server-2016/
    Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Monday, July 15, 2019 6:27 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Monday, July 22, 2019 1:19 AM
  • HI
    Is there anything to help you?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Monday, July 29, 2019 3:05 PM
  • HI
    Have you solved your problem? If you have solved a problem using our solution, please "mark it as an answer" to help other community members quickly find useful responses. Thanks for your corporation.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Friday, August 2, 2019 2:55 AM