none
Remote Desktop client on MAC and Windows Server 2016 RDWEB Cookie Auth RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are trying to make the following setup to work:

Windows Server 2016 + Terminal Services + RDWeb + Cookie Authentication through Gateway

When I use the windows remote client, then everything works as it should.

If I use the MAC client (see version on the screenshot) against 2016 server:

then I get the following error (see the screenshot):

The same setup works perfectly well against 2012r2 windows server. Also, if cookie authentication is disabled for the 2016 server it starts to work fine.

What could be the problem?

Thank you,

Roman

Monday, April 15, 2019 11:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Per checking, Version 10.2.4 announced same issue has been addressed in this release. You may try to test if this version resolved your issue.

"Updates for version 10.2.4

Published date: 12/18/2018

Added dark mode support for macOS Mojave 10.14.

An option to import from Microsoft Remote Desktop 8 now appears in the Connection Center if it is empty.

Addressed folder redirection compatibility with some third-party enterprise applications.

Resolved issues where users were getting a 0x30000069 Remote Desktop Gateway error due to security protocol fallback issues."

What's new for the Remote Desktop client on macOS?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/mac-whatsnew

And I also noticed the latest version was updated to 10.2.11 but the detailed instructions did not reflect in above link yet, but you may keep an eye on that.

For other problems ,we can try to refer below website.

Get started with Remote Desktop on Mac

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/remote-desktop-mac

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 7:10 AM
  • Hi Jenny,

I have updated to the 10.2.11 and the problem is still there :(.

I guess it a is regression you have there...

I am not sure I get you - do you want me to try an older version?

Thank you,

Roman

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 7:53 AM
  • Hi Roman,

Yes, as per the info provided, you may try to test old version as it mentioned the same error has been addressed in that release.

And if this is still not working, I would suggest you to post your feedback to the product team since your deployment is working in RDS 2012 environment but failed in 2016. Perhaps there is compatibility related issue.

Remote Desktop for Mac UserVoice

https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/287834-remote-desktop-for-mac

Thanks,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 2:00 AM
  • Hi Jenny,

Thank you for the answers.

Can you lead me to the place where I need to ask? By product team do you mean Terminal Services team?

Moreover, can I enable some diagnostic information collection (tracing etc) for the MAC client to see what exactly it does not like?

Thanks,

Roman

Thursday, April 25, 2019 11:39 AM
  • Hi,

You can post your feedback and suggestion(including bug) about Remote Desktop Services on the UserVoice forum:
    https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services

Please note that, it is suggestion/feedback collection forum and will not provide solution/troubleshooting for general questions. If you have problem when using RDS/RDC, post your question on TechNet forum and relate product supporter will help you to troubleshooting the problem. 

As you had mentioned that, problem happens on RDS 2016, if possible, please patch your RDS systems fully with Windows Update/Hotfix, it would be helpful for resolving some known issues and improving the performance.

Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 update history:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000825

About the problem, we can check event log on RDS systems(including RD Web,Gateway) and confirm that if there is any relate event has been logged:
    Event Viewer -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> TerminalServices and RemoteDesktopServices

Besides, please check user authentication relate event on DC, confirm that if there is any fail auth event about the failure remote connection.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, April 26, 2019 4:49 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang   

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 2:14 AM
  • Hi,

I have looked a bit more into this issue,

if I connect from w10 client then I see events in

RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS
     TerminalServices-Gateway
     TerminalServices-LocalSessionManager
     TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager
     TerminalServices-SessionBroker
     TerminalServices-SessionBroker-Client

But when using Mac client (Version 10.2.13 (1593)), then there are NO event logs.
    Also there are no failed auth events on DC.

I have also testet with 10.2.4, same result.

So seems like it fails in Remote Desktop Client on the Mac

Best Regards,
    Steen Hansen
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:27 AM