none
Running Ubuntu on Hyper-V - daemons fail RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I am running Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS (x64) on Hyper-V Server 2012 R2, but I am having trouble with daemons. When I open boot log, I see 3 fails.

root@lws:~# cat /var/log/boot.log | grep Hyper
     * Starting Hyper-V File Copy Protocol Daemon                                                [ OK ]
     * Starting Hyper-V VSS Protocol Daemon                                                      [ OK ]
     * Starting Hyper-V KVP Protocol Daemon                                                      [ OK ]
     * Starting Hyper-V File Copy Protocol Daemon                                                [fail]
     * Stopping Hyper-V File Copy Protocol Daemon                                                [ OK ]
     * Starting Hyper-V VSS Protocol Daemon                                                      [fail]
     * Stopping Hyper-V VSS Protocol Daemon                                                      [ OK ]
     * Starting Hyper-V KVP Protocol Daemon                                                      [fail]
     * Stopping Hyper-V KVP Protocol Daemon                                                      [ OK ]

What is wrong? How to solve it? I tried to install hv-kvp-daemon-init but nothing has changed.

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Tuesday, August 25, 2015 2:46 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 2:35 PM

All replies

• Can you run:

sudo apt install linux-cloud-tools-virtual -y

In the guest and see if that fixes the problem?

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 5:03 AM
  • linux-cloud-tools-virtual is already installed, here is the result.

root@lws:~# apt install linux-cloud-tools-virtual -y
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    linux-cloud-tools-virtual is already the newest version.
    linux-cloud-tools-virtual set to manually installed.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

When I rebooted server, fails are still present.

Maybe is it better to use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (which is older) or the latest Ubuntu 15.04?

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 6:21 AM
  • Hi Lukas Beran,

As Ben’s suggestion, please refer the following KB to reinstall the integration service then monitor the issue again, both the 14.04 and the latest Ubuntu 15.04 are supported guest vm, the different is the 15.04 has more advance option you can choose, you can also get the details from the following KB:

Ubuntu virtual machines on Hyper-V

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn531029.aspx

I’m glad to be of help to you!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by AndyChips Friday, October 21, 2016 2:59 PM
    Friday, August 28, 2015 6:59 AM
  • Still the same problem.

What I have tried:

1. Purging and installing linux-virtual + restart
    2. Purging and installing hv-kvp-daemon-init linux-tools-virtual linux-cloud-tools-virtual + restart

But nothing has changed.

* Starting Hyper-V File Copy Protocol Daemon                                                [ OK ]
     * Starting Hyper-V VSS Protocol Daemon                                                      [ OK ]
     * Starting Hyper-V KVP Protocol Daemon                                                      [ OK ]
     * Starting Hyper-V File Copy Protocol Daemon                                                [fail]
     * Starting Hyper-V KVP Protocol Daemon                                                      [fail]
     * Stopping Hyper-V File Copy Protocol Daemon                                                [ OK ]
     * Stopping Hyper-V KVP Protocol Daemon                                                      [ OK ]
     * Starting Hyper-V VSS Protocol Daemon                                                      [fail]
     * Stopping Hyper-V VSS Protocol Daemon                                                      [ OK ]

Saturday, August 29, 2015 10:51 AM
  • I tried it on a clean install. What I've made:

1. Download Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS from http://www.ubuntu.com/server
    2. Install it as a Gen1 from Hyper-V Manager
    3. After the installation process apt-get update
    4. apt-get dist-upgrade
    5. reboot
    6. apt-get update
    7. apt-get install linux-virtual
    8. reboot
    9. apt-get update
    10. apt-get install hv-kvp-daemon-init linux-tools-virtual linux-cloud-tools-virtual
    11. reboot

1. apt install linux-cloud-tools-virtual -y
    2. reboot

I have no idea how to solve it and what should I do now...

• Edited by Lukas Beran Saturday, August 29, 2015 11:41 AM
    Saturday, August 29, 2015 11:40 AM
  • For what it's worth...I am now getting the same. 14.04.3 LTS (x64) on Hyper-V Server 2012 R2. Identical setup, identical symptoms. The only difference it that I'm not runnign a virtual kernel....becuase I don't know how :-)

root@fulmar:~# uname -a
    Linux fulmar.home.local 3.16.0-48-generic #64~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 20 23:03:57 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Saturday, September 5, 2015 5:23 PM
  • Looks like this is the solution. instead of using generic installation commands, you need to install the specific versions:

apt-get install hv-kvp-daemon-init linux-tools-`uname -r` linux-cloud-tools-`uname -r`

This installs the appropriate version - 3.16.0.48 in my case  -and they all now report correctly:

root@tunes:~# cat /var/log/boot.log | grep Hyper
     * Starting Hyper-V File Copy Protocol Daemon                                                                            [ OK ]
     * Starting Hyper-V VSS Protocol Daemon                                                                                  [ OK ]
     * Starting Hyper-V KVP Protocol Daemon                                                                                  [ OK ]
     * Stopping Hyper-V File Copy Protocol Daemon                                                                            [ OK ]
     * Stopping Hyper-V KVP Protocol Daemon                                                                                  [ OK ]

Jim

• Proposed as answer by Philip Kn Tuesday, September 8, 2015 12:37 PM
    Sunday, September 6, 2015 8:31 PM
  • Looks like this is the solution. instead of using generic installation commands, you need to install the specific versions:

apt-get install hv-kvp-daemon-init linux-tools-`uname -r` linux-cloud-tools-`uname -r`

This installs the appropriate version - 3.16.0.48 in my case  -and they all now report correctly:

root@tunes:~# cat /var/log/boot.log | grep Hyper
     * Starting Hyper-V File Copy Protocol Daemon                                                                            [ OK ]
     * Starting Hyper-V VSS Protocol Daemon                                                                                  [ OK ]
     * Starting Hyper-V KVP Protocol Daemon                                                                                  [ OK ]
     * Stopping Hyper-V File Copy Protocol Daemon                                                                            [ OK ]
     * Stopping Hyper-V KVP Protocol Daemon                                                                                  [ OK ]

Jim

Hi,

I have the same Problem with the same Ubuntu 14.04.3 (3.16.0-44-generic) and Server 2012 with Hyper-V. After the Command from Jim the boot.log is clean/ok.

A nice sideeffect. Our Failovercluster-Manager shows now the Version of the Integration Services (3.1) and knows the OS inside the vm. :)

Greetings

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 12:41 PM
  • Excellent find Jim - thanks for posting it!  I've been struggling with this same boot log error for a couple of months (I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.2, for Zimbra 8.6, on a Win 2k8R2 Enterprise host).

The only negative to this version of the tools seems to be that in the Win host I now see some warnings in the event log that the Integration Service versions are mis-matched and telling me to upgrade them!  This time stamp on these event entries matches  the VM booting, and hasn't (yet) repeated.

However, I later found another Microsoft support article that mentions a very similar message that can occur (the article was written in relation to device driver mis-match in the VM and obtaining MS support).  Link was: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2956569

Will see how the systems looks in the morning after the nightly VSS backup process has run.

Al

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 7:00 PM
  • I suspect we'll need to manually reinstall newer versions if/when a new kernel is released, but let's wait and see....

Strangely, I don't get any boot.log file now, which is odd......

Jim

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 7:20 PM
  • Thanks Jim. It resolved the "fail" but brought another problem. After that, when I access any of websites running on the system, network connection of the server is completely down. No inboud traffic, no outbound traffic. IP configuration is still ok, but connection does not work and I have to reboot the server. Then is connection back, I can check for updates, ping other servers, this server responds to ping, I can connect to SSH, everything is ok until I access webpage running on the server, then is connection again completely down.

I tried to remove network adapter and than add it back with a new MAC address (and new IP configuration) but nothing has changed.

The server has both IPv4 and IPv6 native connectivity (dual stack). When I tried to use static IP configuration instead of DHCP for both IPv4+6, nothing has changed. But when I tried to completely disable IPv6 on the server, now I can access websites (using IPv4) and connection works.

So the problem seems to be with IPv6. Does not matter if I have static IPv6 config or use dhcp, when I use IPv6, after accessing website on the server, connection of the server is completely down. When I use only IPv4, averything is OK.

And when I reboot the server, there is one FAIL and hv_netvsc timeout as you can see on the screenshot. This fail and timeout is present ONLY when I have IPv6 enabled. When is IPv6 disabled, fail and hv_netvsc timeout is gone.

And again I have no idea what is wrong...
    • Edited by Lukas Beran Wednesday, September 9, 2015 1:00 PM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 11:43 AM
  • No idea? Nobody?
    Friday, September 25, 2015 8:45 AM
  • Today I installed an update of hv-kvp-daemon-init linux-tools-virtual linux-cloud-tools-virtual. After that, I got again the error mentioned earlier. So I again installed apt-get install hv-kvp-daemon-init linux-tools-`uname -r` linux-cloud-tools-`uname -r` and the error is gone, but problem is not solved.

I jumped from 3.19.0-28-generic #30~14.04.1-Ubuntu to 3.19.0-30-generic #33~14.04.1-Ubuntu but nothing has changed. When I allow IPv6, after the first load of any webpage running on the server, network connection is completely down.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 8:20 AM
  • Another update which brings 3.19.0-30-generic #34~14.04.1-Ubuntu is live today, but nothing has changed again.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2015 8:39 AM
  • It appears that the problem is not running the latest LTS kernel for 14.04. With 14.04.3 the kernel is lts-vivid. Canonical installs this kernel by default with the latest 14.04.3 ISO, and started encouraging users to update to it when it was released in July.

To get to the right metapackages so that updates will be installed, do the following

# apt-get update

# apt-get install linux-virtual linux-tools-virtual linux-cloud-tools-virtual

Older packages that conflict may make this a little harder than you might like, especially hv-vp-daemon-init, but you won't even see it available from the repositories once you are up to date.

As of today, the above commands pull in 3.19.0.30.29 kernel and tools. Of course, after loading new kernels you will need to reboot.

Sometimes things get confused with older kernels left behind. Once you've rebooted and if you feel adventurous, you can remove the older old with "apt-get purge -y xxx".

An easy way to get a picture of what is loaded on your system is:

$ dpkg -l | awk '{print $2}' | grep ^linux

I hope this helps. As always, if I can improve the documentation in https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn531029.aspx I welcome your feedback. Canonical is the appropriate source for recommending kernels that they will support, and I can give advice as to what tools are needed to go alongside them.

Joshua R. Poulson, Program Manager, Microsoft Open Source Technology Center

Monday, October 12, 2015 8:21 PM
  • I installed this server from the latest 14.04.3 Ubuntu Server ISO (64bit).

When I tried your advice, the problem is still the same. When I enable IPv6, after accessing any webpage hosted on this server, internet connection is completely down on this server.

root@lws:~# uname -a
    Linux lws 3.19.0-30-generic #34~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 2 22:09:39 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

root@lws:~# dpkg -l | awk '{print $2}' | grep ^linux
    linux-cloud-tools-3.13.0-65
    linux-cloud-tools-3.13.0-65-generic
    linux-cloud-tools-3.19.0-28-generic
    linux-cloud-tools-3.19.0-30-generic
    linux-cloud-tools-common
    linux-cloud-tools-virtual
    linux-firmware
    linux-headers-3.13.0-65
    linux-headers-3.13.0-65-generic
    linux-headers-3.19.0-30
    linux-headers-3.19.0-30-generic
    linux-headers-generic
    linux-headers-generic-lts-vivid
    linux-headers-virtual
    linux-image-3.13.0-65-generic
    linux-image-3.19.0-25-generic
    linux-image-3.19.0-26-generic
    linux-image-3.19.0-28-generic
    linux-image-3.19.0-30-generic
    linux-image-extra-3.19.0-25-generic
    linux-image-extra-3.19.0-26-generic
    linux-image-extra-3.19.0-28-generic
    linux-image-extra-3.19.0-30-generic
    linux-image-virtual
    linux-lts-vivid-cloud-tools-3.19.0-28
    linux-lts-vivid-cloud-tools-3.19.0-30
    linux-lts-vivid-tools-3.19.0-28
    linux-lts-vivid-tools-3.19.0-30
    linux-signed-generic-lts-vivid
    linux-signed-image-3.19.0-25-generic
    linux-signed-image-3.19.0-26-generic
    linux-signed-image-3.19.0-28-generic
    linux-signed-image-3.19.0-30-generic
    linux-signed-image-generic-lts-vivid
    linux-tools-3.13.0-65
    linux-tools-3.13.0-65-generic
    linux-tools-3.19.0-28-generic
    linux-tools-3.19.0-30-generic
    linux-tools-common
    linux-tools-virtual
    linux-virtual

Thursday, October 15, 2015 2:13 PM
  • It was worse for me. After enabling, I noticed weird results with my server. After 10-15 mins, the network stack seemed to fail completely and the server was unresponsive. I had to access it via Hyper-V to reboot it.

With no success, I uninstalled the additional packages - but the problem persisted.

Not knowing the kernel well enough I ended up wiping and reinstalling the entire VM :-( Needless to say, I am now running without any of these extra packages.....

It's nowhere near robust.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 2:17 PM
  • Looking at your list, there are some 3.13 (trusty) kernels in there. The 3.13 kernel required another package to start the Hyper-V daemons.

One of the things I do, because I often play with test kernels, is remove a lot of the older kernels and their corresponding tools. So I would remove, for example, the 3.13.0-65 items above. Also, is hv-kvp-daemon-init installed? That can conflict with the daemons that are properly coming from linux-cloud-tools with the 3.19 kernel.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 4:39 PM
  • Can we get the logs from this incident? This sounds quite severe and we do regular testing with the latest kernels on Ubuntu in cooperation with Canonical. Our regular testing includes all of the Hyper-V daemons and their function as well as network performance.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 4:41 PM
  • I did a little cleanup

root@lws:~# dpkg -l | awk '{print $2}' | grep ^linux
    linux-cloud-tools-3.19.0-28-generic
    linux-cloud-tools-3.19.0-30-generic
    linux-cloud-tools-common
    linux-firmware
    linux-headers-3.19.0-30
    linux-headers-3.19.0-30-generic
    linux-headers-generic-lts-vivid
    linux-image-3.19.0-25-generic
    linux-image-3.19.0-26-generic
    linux-image-3.19.0-28-generic
    linux-image-3.19.0-30-generic
    linux-image-extra-3.19.0-25-generic
    linux-image-extra-3.19.0-26-generic
    linux-image-extra-3.19.0-28-generic
    linux-image-extra-3.19.0-30-generic
    linux-lts-vivid-cloud-tools-3.19.0-28
    linux-lts-vivid-cloud-tools-3.19.0-30
    linux-lts-vivid-tools-3.19.0-28
    linux-lts-vivid-tools-3.19.0-30
    linux-signed-generic-lts-vivid
    linux-signed-image-3.19.0-25-generic
    linux-signed-image-3.19.0-26-generic
    linux-signed-image-3.19.0-28-generic
    linux-signed-image-3.19.0-30-generic
    linux-signed-image-generic-lts-vivid
    linux-tools-3.19.0-28-generic
    linux-tools-3.19.0-30-generic
    linux-tools-common

Should I remove something else?

hv-kvp-daemon-init is not probably installed

root@lws:~# dpkg -l | awk '{print $2}' | grep ^hv-kvp
    root@lws:~#

If you want, I can give you SSH access to the server.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 5:11 PM
  • And you are still seeing network problems? What are the messages in the syslog?

Thursday, October 15, 2015 6:30 PM
  • Yes, still the same problem...

Which log exactly do you mean?

I tried to access webpage (and the connection was lost) at Oct 15 20:43:xx.

root@lws:~# cat /var/log/syslog | grep "Oct 15 20:43"
    Oct 15 20:43:26 localhost kernel: [  197.554342] [UFW BLOCK] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=01:00:5e:00:00:01:00:1e:52:f3:b0:bd:08:00 SRC=158.194.80.5 DST=224.0.0.1 LEN=66 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=39259 PROTO=UDP SPT=626 DPT=626 LEN=46
    Oct 15 20:43:56 localhost kernel: [  227.555494] [UFW BLOCK] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=01:00:5e:00:00:01:00:1e:52:f3:b0:bd:08:00 SRC=158.194.80.5 DST=224.0.0.1 LEN=66 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=53050 PROTO=UDP SPT=626 DPT=626 LEN=46

root@lws:~# cat /var/log/kern.log | grep "Oct 15 20:43"
    Oct 15 20:43:26 localhost kernel: [  197.554342] [UFW BLOCK] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=01:00:5e:00:00:01:00:1e:52:f3:b0:bd:08:00 SRC=158.194.80.5 DST=224.0.0.1 LEN=66 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=39259 PROTO=UDP SPT=626 DPT=626 LEN=46
    Oct 15 20:43:56 localhost kernel: [  227.555494] [UFW BLOCK] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=01:00:5e:00:00:01:00:1e:52:f3:b0:bd:08:00 SRC=158.194.80.5 DST=224.0.0.1 LEN=66 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=53050 PROTO=UDP SPT=626 DPT=626 LEN=46

I think nothing interesting...

Thursday, October 15, 2015 6:53 PM
  • But as far as ifconfig the interface was up? I agree that the firewall messages there didn't seem to be a smoking gun.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 7:41 PM
  • Yes, ip a shows me right ip configuration.

In /etc/network/interfaces I have following:

root@lws:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    auto eth0

iface eth0 inet dhcp
    iface eth0 inet6 dhcp
    accept_ra 2

This should work, I use it at all of our physical linux servers and everything is ok.

And ip a

root@lws:~# ip a
    1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default
        link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
        inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
        inet6 ::1/128 scope host
    2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether 00:1d:d8:b7:1c:16 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        inet 158.194.80.aa/24 brd 158.194.80.255 scope global eth0
        inet6 2001:718:1401:50:ffff:ffff:ffff:xxxx/64 scope global
        inet6 2001:718:1401:50::yy/64 scope global deprecated
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft 0sec
        inet6 fe80::21d:d8ff:feb7:1c16/64 scope link

IPv6 address ending with xxxx is dynamic address. I don't know why the server has it. Address ending with yy is from DHCPv6 server.

• Edited by Lukas Beran Friday, October 16, 2015 5:53 AM
    Friday, October 16, 2015 5:52 AM
  • I found something strange. I completely switched to another kernel.

root@lws:~# uname -a
    Linux lws 3.13.0-66-generic #108-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 7 15:20:27 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

And now it seems that everything works well.

I also made another experiment on other server with Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS without linux-virtual linux-tools-virtual linux-cloud-tools-virtual (clean install of the system) with the latest buildin kernel Linux tux 3.19.0-31-generic #36~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 8 10:21:08 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux and here I have the same problem with IPv6.

So I don't know what it exactly means, but clean install of Ubuntu Server 14.04 has the problem. Also installation with linux-virtual linux-tools-virtual linux-cloud-tools-virtual has the problem, but linux with the older kernel 3.13.0-66-generic mentioned above works fine.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 10:27 AM
  • Hi Lukas Beran,

As Ben’s suggestion, please refer the following KB to reinstall the integration service then monitor the issue again, both the 14.04 and the latest Ubuntu 15.04 are supported guest vm, the different is the 15.04 has more advance option you can choose, you can also get the details from the following KB:

Ubuntu virtual machines on Hyper-V

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn531029.aspx

I’m glad to be of help to you!

This MS article fixed it for me - thank you! My DPM server can now back up the running VM.

Just for reference, I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on Hyper-V Server 2012 R2.

Friday, October 21, 2016 2:54 PM