none
RDS 2012 and roaming profiles RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

my question relates to user profiles on RDS. currently i have 1 x RDS 2012 server which only has 1 GPO applied to it. the firs GPO contains folder redirection settings and effects client machines and users too. this works just fine. my client machines have a roaming profile GPO applied to them and that works ok as well. 

The problem i am having is when a user connects, from their client machine, to the RDS. they seem to be given a temporary user profile as the  . I would think that a user profile would automatically be created on the RDS if no previous profile exists. I have tried enabling roaming profiles on the RDS server and this seemed to work. i have also experimented with UPD and this also works too. however, with no roaming profiles or UPD implemented on the RDS, the RDS just seems to give temp profiles to all domain accounts that attempt to login remotely.However, if i connect to the RDS machine directly with the admin account or another account with is a member of domain admins, a local profile account is created.

the only error found when logging in as a normal domain user is 'windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you in with a temporary profile. changes made to this profile will be lost when you log off'. error code 1511

very confusing issue here....

Infoadmin

Thursday, August 6, 2015 2:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, when no roaming profile or UPD is configured, domain users other than members of Domain Admins group get temporary profile.

You may check whether user profile folders for each user exists on the terminal server.

If they exist, please delete them; then also delete their profile list in registry to see whether the issue persists, which is under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.

In addition, I don’t have this issue in my testing RDS environment, therefore I suspect it has something to do with configuration such as Group Policy settings.

You may run GPresult.exe on the terminal server to find out whether any related setting is preventing users from using local user profile:

Gpresult

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733160.aspx

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 10, 2015 9:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, when no roaming profile or UPD is configured, domain users other than members of Domain Admins group get temporary profile.

You may check whether user profile folders for each user exists on the terminal server.

If they exist, please delete them; then also delete their profile list in registry to see whether the issue persists, which is under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.

In addition, I don’t have this issue in my testing RDS environment, therefore I suspect it has something to do with configuration such as Group Policy settings.

You may run GPresult.exe on the terminal server to find out whether any related setting is preventing users from using local user profile:

Gpresult

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733160.aspx

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 10, 2015 9:59 AM
  • Thanks Amy, i found this answer shortly afterwards. cheers!

regards,

Infoadmin

Monday, August 10, 2015 10:44 AM