none
Hyper-V 2012 R2 and Windows 7 SP1 VM with vGPU RRS feed

Answers

• Nothing else to report, just that I've moved more VMs from the 2008 R2 server and haven't encountered the original problem so I guess we'll have to put it down to a "gremlin".

Feel free to close the thread.

Cheers for now

Russell

Monday, April 28, 2014 9:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Russell,

You cannot use vGPU with RDP 8.0 enabled on Windows 7 host.

-TP

Saturday, April 19, 2014 2:07 PM
  • So, if I remove the RDP 8.0 update it should then work?

I'm pretty sure I had the same problem before installing the RDP 8.0 update but will remove it and try again.

One of the many TechNet articles I found (see link below) suggests that you can use Windows 7 clients with the RDP 8.0 update but when the vGPU is enabled it will only use RDP 7.1?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16652.remotefx-vgpu-setup-and-configuration-guide-for-windows-server-2012.aspx

Cheers for now

Russell

• Edited by RSBurnell Saturday, April 19, 2014 4:10 PM
    Saturday, April 19, 2014 4:09 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any update regarding the issue?

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Monday, April 21, 2014 2:36 AM
  • Dharmesh,

I can't do any more testing until I'm on the client site tomorrow (Tuesday) but will update the post as soon as I can.

I did seem to be able to connect to 2 x Windows 7 sp1 VMs via the RD Gateway and both showed the vGPU in the Device Manager. the only difference was that I was connecting directly to the VM rather than via RD Web Access.

I'm not sure how this happened and it's why I want to carry out more testing on Tuesday.

Cheers for now

Russell 

Monday, April 21, 2014 10:20 AM
  • OK, I've carried out some more testing on the client site and have been able to move a couple of existing VMs from their 2008 R2 Hyper-V server to the new 2012 R2 server.

Both VMs are Windows 7 SP1 with the RDP 8.0 update installed and I can connect to them from a Thin Client running RDP 7.1 and a laptop running RDP 8.0.

When I add the RemoteFX vGPU to them both I can still connect from both devices but, as suggested, when connecting from the laptop with RDP 8.0 I don't get the vGPU performance (but the vGPU is still shown in the device manager).

It all looks good at the moment but I'm still concerned as to why I was unable to connect to the first VM I moved over (it was complaining about a error in the License network communication or similar).

I'll keep testing and post anything else that might be useful.

Cheers for now

Russell

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:21 PM

• Hi Russell,

Thank you for your comment.

Is there any update? In addition please check below articles for information.

1. RemoteFX vGPU Setup and Configuration Guide for Windows Server 2012
    2. RemoteFX vGPU Improvements in Windows Server 2012 R2

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:52 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update regarding the issue?

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Monday, April 28, 2014 1:04 AM
  • Nothing else to report, just that I've moved more VMs from the 2008 R2 server and haven't encountered the original problem so I guess we'll have to put it down to a "gremlin".

Feel free to close the thread.

Cheers for now

Russell

Monday, April 28, 2014 9:03 AM