none
Internet Explorer will not launch on Windows Server 2008 R2

Question

• Recently upgraded to Windows Server 2008 R2. Mostly using for a desktop and development system (Visual Studio,, SQL Server 2008 R2, Sharepoint). Everything was working with no problems until yesterday.   I shutdown the system at 6pm -- windows update applied 17 patches.

When I brought the system back up, I can no longer launch IE.   In looking at the processes running I see one or more instances of iexplore.exe running but no applications.   No errors appear and no windows even open showing for IE.

Server roles Domain Server, Application Server, File server.   Software installed Sharepoint Foundation, Visual Studio 2010, SQL Server 2008 R2, Sharepoint Designer, Office 2010, Norton 360 and a few x86 desktop applications (Quicken, Turbotax).   No other software as this is a totally new build as of 3/18/2011

It must have something to do with the patches applied as no other changes were made to the system.

The event log has several critical errors that did not occur before -- the following services hung on starting  Net.TCP Listener, Net.Pipe Listener, Net.Msmg Listner and World Wide Web Publishing Service
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 11:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest testing this issue in Clean Boot:

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this result in the Clean Boot environment.

What’s the result?

Tim Quan

Monday, March 21, 2011 4:18 AM

All replies

• Try downloading internet explorer 9  and see if it works it just an alternate way to make it work :)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=62e67358-da9a-499d-aa19-eb93996ca8e0

http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Well Its a little hard to download anything since I can't launch a browser from that system but it can be done just not easily.   Its hard to believe that will solve this issue but I can try.
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 12:46 PM
  • Please do try and let us know as this will help the community.
    http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 1:06 PM
  • IE9 did not help... this system is beyond repair many many function just hang -- even server manager just spins trying to collect data.   Windows Update opens with blank window.  Even trying to use the install CD and attempting to do an upgrade -- never gets beyond Setup -- just spins there for many minutes until killed thru task manager.  Only solution is to rebuild from scratch ---  painful since I spent the whole day yesterday building this system.

Saturday, March 19, 2011 2:28 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest testing this issue in Clean Boot:

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this result in the Clean Boot environment.

What’s the result?

Tim Quan

Monday, March 21, 2011 4:18 AM