none
Upgrade Server Version RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to upgrade some of my VM servers that are currently running 2008r2 and 2008 std and I want to go to server 2016, but have been told that I have to first upgrade to server 2012 and then to 2016. Can I buy 1 licnese for 2012 and run on them all since they are moving to 2016 or do I need to buy servers=# of license for 2012 and do I need any CAL's for 2012 since it is moving on to 2016. I appreciate any assistance you can provide
    Wednesday, September 19, 2018 5:16 PM

All replies

• An in-place upgrade is risky and never recommended, better to clean install, patch fully and migrate roles or applications over, otherwise what you suggested should work fine.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Wednesday, September 26, 2018 6:18 PM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2018 6:46 PM
  • Hi,

In general, there are 2 ways for system upgrading:
    1. In-place upgrade
    2. Migration

As it mentioned, it does not support in-place upgrade from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2016. It should be at least Windows Server 2012. 

Please note that, there are limitations for in-place upgrade, such as OS version, language and etc. Please reference section “Upgrading previous retail versions of Windows Server to Windows Server 2016” in below link for the details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/supported-upgrade-paths

Also, please confirm that installed server roles are supported to be upgraded - Server role upgrade and migration matrix for Windows Server 2016:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/server-role-upgradeability-table

If all pre-requirements are met, you can consider of in-place upgrading:
    Windows Server 2008 R2 -> Windows Server 2012/2012 R2 -> Windows Server 2016

I would also recommend you to consider of migration, which will also keep your current configuration and data.

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 7:28 PM
  • For your questiona bout the CAL, you should order 2016's CAL and OS's license, as it's your final step. With the advice given by others, I suggest too a direct install on 2016 and migrate the role after if you can

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

Answer an interesting question ? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, September 20, 2018 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

Is there anything else I can do to help you on this issue?

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Hurry

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 21, 2018 11:34 AM
  • Hi,
    How things are going there on this issue?
    Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Hurry

Monday, September 24, 2018 3:28 PM
  • Do a migration I have never had any luck with in place upgrades. Do you DC's first then migrate all your services one at a time. Once you have all the servers and services migrated upgrade your domain functional level.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2018 6:12 PM