none
Integration Services for Windows XP SP3 clients on Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V host not working for some XP VMs RRS feed

• Question

• I recently created a Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V host and then migrated several machines (using VMM 2012) from a Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V host.

The Windows 7 machines are working fine, integration-wise, but some of the Windows XP SP3 machines cannot get integration services working.  A couple of the Windows XP machines integration services are working fine.  I don't see anything obvious which would be causing the discrepancy.

On the machines that it is not working, I have tried:

uninstalling the services, rebooting, and reinstalling the windows 2012 r2 vmguest.iso image files 
    uninstalling the services, rebooting, and reinstalling the windows 2008 r2 vmguest.iso image files 

Suggestions?

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:25 PM

Answers

• I checked out that article but it doesn't pertain to my situation.  

Some of the oldest of my XP SP3 Virtual machines along the way have lost the uninstall bits for "Hyper-V Guest Components" which was installed long ago - perhaps in the Virtual Server 2005 era. Just tonight I found the set of files needed to uninstall it.  Once completely removed, I can then reinstall the latest Integration services and all is working well on a 2012R2 host.

The files needed to uninstall the very old integration include spuninst.exe (dated 6/25/2005)  and 4 supporting files - spuninst.inf, spuninst.txt, updspapi.dll, and vmginst.dll.

Friday, December 5, 2014 6:06 AM

All replies

• All that you should need to do is upgrade the Integration Components / Services within the VMs.

Using Hyper-V Manager you can open the console of the VM, login, then choose the Action "Insert Integration Services Setup Disk", then respond to the prompts in the console of the VM.

The installer for the ICs will / should notify you of any issues.

You should never copy the vmguest.iso off a Hyper-V Server to your SCVMM Library or the like.  It is dynamically generated at boot of the Hyper-V Server based on the Hyper-V (hypervisor) patches installed.  To ensure it matches.

Just curious.  What is not working with your VMs after the migration?

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:39 PM
  • I've tried to reinstall the latest vmguest.iso multiple times to no success.  There is no obvious error after the install, but it just does not work afterwards.  Heartbeat shows "unavailable" and Integration Services shows up as blank in the Hyper-V Manager.

For the XPs that it does work, I see Heart beat as OK and the Integration Services status.

Did not have this problem on the 2008R2 host so not exactly sure what is no longer working.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 12:25 AM
  • Wednesday, December 3, 2014 6:52 AM
  • Any known issues with the VMBus?  14.39.58.865?

==============> Begin Log 2014/12/03 09:19:36

Hyper-V Integration Services Installer version 6.3.9600.16384
    MUI file loaded
    Parsing command line...
    Command line parsing complete
    Application Directory = D:\support\x86
    ##### START: VERIFY SYSTEM ENVIRONMENT
    OS Version      = 5.1
    OS SP Level     = 3
    OS Platform ID  = 2
    OS Product Type = 1
    Edition ID      = 0x0
    Processor Arch  = 0
    Processor Count = 1
    System Language = en-us (ENU)
    Windows Dir     = C:\WINDOWS
    System Dir      = C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Drivers Dir     = C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
    System MUI Dir  = C:\WINDOWS\system32\en-us
    Drivers MUI Dir = C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\en-us
    Loading package manifest D:\support\x86\Windows5.x-HyperVIntegrationServices-x86.xml
    /SetupInfo/PackageInfo/@version = 6.3.9600.16384
    Loading package manifest D:\support\x86\Windows6.x-HyperVIntegrationServices-x86.xml
    /SetupInfo/PackageInfo/@version = 6.3.9600.16384
    MSI package path    = D:\support\x86\Windows5.x-HyperVIntegrationServices-x86.msi
    MSI package version = 6.3.9600.16384
    CBS package path    = D:\support\x86\Windows6.x-HyperVIntegrationServices-x86.cab
    CBS package version = 6.3.9600.16384
    Servicing mode      = 0
    Current Integration Services version = 14.39.58.865
    Installed drivers:
      ACPI\VMBus [14.39.58.865]
      ACPI\VMBus [6.0.6002.18005]
    Detected same or higher version of Integration Services already installed
    ##### END: VERIFY SYSTEM ENVIRONMENT - Exit code = 0xEA64
    Exit code = 0xEA64

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 5:36 PM
  • I am pretty sure the problem relates back to the fact that a couple of these XP machines started back in the Virtual Server (Pre Hyper-V) days.  Although I am pretty sure I uninstalled the VS 2005 (?) VM Additions prior to moving the clients to Hyper-V, it suspect that some bits got left before and and this causing the problem.  I just haven't found the easiest technique to remove the old drivers.  This article get close:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rmilne/archive/2013/06/17/updating-hyper-v-integration-components-ic.aspx

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 8:26 PM
  • Here is what seems to work on most of the XP SP3 machines:

1.  Uninstall "Hyper-V integration Services (version 6.2.9600.16484)".  Does not require a reboot

2.  (If there).  Uninstall "Hyper-V Guest Components".  Does require a reboot.

3. Upon reboot, insert the Integration Services again and re-install. (ignore or cancel out of the hardware prompts - once the install is completed these will resolve themselves) After a reboot the XP machines are back in business.

Thursday, December 4, 2014 6:58 PM
  • Hi Robert,

>>Here is what seems to work on most of the XP SP3 machines ...

Do you mean there still some XP machines are not working ?

If yes , please refer to following article to install integration services without online :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/virtualization/archive/2013/04/19/how-to-install-integration-services-when-the-virtual-machine-is-not-running.aspx

Any further information please feel free to let us know .

Best Regards

Elton JI

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, December 5, 2014 4:55 AM
  • I checked out that article but it doesn't pertain to my situation.  

Some of the oldest of my XP SP3 Virtual machines along the way have lost the uninstall bits for "Hyper-V Guest Components" which was installed long ago - perhaps in the Virtual Server 2005 era. Just tonight I found the set of files needed to uninstall it.  Once completely removed, I can then reinstall the latest Integration services and all is working well on a 2012R2 host.

The files needed to uninstall the very old integration include spuninst.exe (dated 6/25/2005)  and 4 supporting files - spuninst.inf, spuninst.txt, updspapi.dll, and vmginst.dll.

Friday, December 5, 2014 6:06 AM
  • Yes, Virtual Server era "VM Additions" are not compatible with Hyper-V (they never have been).

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Friday, December 5, 2014 4:07 PM
  • Correct, but the real problem was the fact that that old VMBus.sys had a version ID of 14.39.58.865 which causes the current install package  6.3.9600.16384 to "think" a newer version was already installed. Until you get that old set of drivers totally removed from the machine, you can't install the latest.

Friday, December 5, 2014 4:43 PM