none
WSUS 3.0 SP1 not connecting to SQL

Question

• I had WSUS 3.0 SP1 running on Windows 2003 SP2 connected to a backend SQL 2005 SP2 server, everything worked fine.  I am planning to decomission the 2003 server and I'm trying to setup a new server running Windows 2008  and WSUS 3.0 SP1 connecting to the same SQL 2005 SP2 backend.

My DBA backed up the  SUSDB.  I then installed WSUS 3.0 SP1 on my Windows Server 2008 system, it created a new SUSDB on the SQL server, then when finishing up the WSUS install I received a warning about SQL.  I then ran MS Windows Update Support admin tool and tried to connect to my WSUS server and I get an error Cannot connect to 'MyServer'. SQL server may not be running on the server. Please verify the SQL Server is running and configured correctly on the server. Contact you network Administrator.

I have restarted both the SQL 2005 & Windows 2008 systems.

Here is a copy of the event log error.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Windows Server Update Services
    Date:          9/8/2008 9:05:00 AM
    Event ID:      7042
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Server.MyDomain.com
    Description:
    The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server Database.

Verify that SQL server is running on the WSUS Server. If the problem persists, try restarting SQL.

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException -- Login failed for user 'MyDomain\Server$'.

Source
    .Net SqlClient Data Provider

Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.SoapExceptionProcessor.DeserializeAndThrow(SoapException soapException)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPGetTargetGroupById(Guid id)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.ComputerTargetGroup.GetById(Guid id, UpdateServer updateServer)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetComputerTargetGroup(Guid id)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.AdminApiTools.TestSqlConnection(IUpdateServer server)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.AdminApiTools.GetUpdateServer()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServer()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServerAndPopulateNode(Boolean connectingServerToConsole)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Common.ExtensionSnapInManager.OnInitialize()
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Windows Server Update Services" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">7042</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-09-08T13:05:00.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>2477</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>NEWTON.digitalinfuzion.com</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server Database.

Verify that SQL server is running on the WSUS Server. If the problem persists, try restarting SQL.

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException -- Login failed for user 'MyDomain\Server$'.

Source
    .Net SqlClient Data Provider

Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.SoapExceptionProcessor.DeserializeAndThrow(SoapException soapException)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPGetTargetGroupById(Guid id)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.ComputerTargetGroup.GetById(Guid id, UpdateServer updateServer)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetComputerTargetGroup(Guid id)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.AdminApiTools.TestSqlConnection(IUpdateServer server)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.AdminApiTools.GetUpdateServer()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServer()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServerAndPopulateNode(Boolean connectingServerToConsole)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Common.ExtensionSnapInManager.OnInitialize()</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Craig

Monday, September 08, 2008 1:37 PM

Answers

• The SQL 2005 server was set to SQL + Windows Authentication and WSUS wants Windows Authentication only.  Due to other DB's on the system I could not change this on the SQL server so I'm using the internal DB and everything works OK.

• Marked as answer by Craig.B Monday, September 15, 2008 6:57 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2008 6:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Craig,

Did you move the content file to the new Windows Server 2008?

Please perform the following steps to move the WSUS to a new server:

Move the database:

1.net stop wsusservice

2. detach the susdb

3. copy susdb.mdf and susdb_log.ldf to new location

4. attach the susdb from the new location

5. net start wsuservice

Move the metadata:

1. Export the metadata:
    wsusutil.exe export c:\YourBackupDirectory\metadata.cab
    c:\YourBackupDirectory\metadata.log

2. Export the Configuration, Computers, TargetGroups and Approvals using the
    WSUSMigrationExport tool. (C:\Program Files\Update Services API Samples and
    Tools\WsusMigrate)
    wsusmigrationexport.exe c:\YourBackupDirectory\configuration.xml

NOTE: Please be sure to refer the WSUSMigrate_ReadmMe.doc attached.

3. Copy all of the content files from your original server (typically
    c:\WSUS\wsuscontent\) to the same directory on the new server.

4. Copy YourBackupDirectory to another partition

5. Install a fresh copy of WSUS 3.0. When required to set content folder path in
    setup wizard, please make WSUS 3.0 use the content folder copied from old server.

6. Configure WSUS 3.0. Make it keep EXACTLY the same configuration, such as
    language, update category and update type.

7. Use wsusutil.exe import c:\YourBackupDirectory\metadata.cab
    c:\YourBackupDirectory\metadata.log ((It can take from 3 to 4 hours for the
    database to validate content that has just been imported)

8. Use wsusutil.exe reset to reset the metabase/local downloaded updates so they
    will be in sync

9. Use the WSUSMigrationImport.exe to import the other configuration. (C:\Program
    Files\Update Services API Samples and Tools\WsusMigrate)
    wsusmigrationimport.exe c:\YourBackupDirectory\configuration.xml all movecomputers

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:59 AM
  • The SQL 2005 server was set to SQL + Windows Authentication and WSUS wants Windows Authentication only.  Due to other DB's on the system I could not change this on the SQL server so I'm using the internal DB and everything works OK.

• Marked as answer by Craig.B Monday, September 15, 2008 6:57 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2008 6:57 PM