none
Winxp error 1030 and 1058 running on Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• First off I'm going to say that I am not sure this is the right forum to post this I searched all over to find a good mircosoft winxp forum I cannot find any nor a server 2003 so I will post this here.

Hey guys I am having a problem with my computer.
    I am on a network here and when I log on with my username and password none of my drives map and I cannot connect any network printers. When I look in my event viewer I get error 1030 and 1058 however just prior to that I get Alert 1517. I always have these the (2 errors and 1 alert) as soon as I log on to windows.
    Now I did some research and I have come to the conclusion that my machine cannot connect to the DFS and the GPO's are not being issued to my machine. I do not know if that is the cause. I asked some other network administrators about the problem and the general agreement is that the machine is not accepting the GPO. I did some snooping around and some reading and tried all the possible resolutions I found for this problem. (Using dfsutil  gupdate /force clearing the caches and so on) and no matter what I do I always get these errors.

I really need some help on this I really have no idea what is causing this problem or why my machine is not accepting the Policies. I am also able to ping my domain controllers properly (I know this probably does not matter but I am trying to give as much information as possible).

Again the errors I am recieving in this order are 1517 as an alert then 1030 and 1058 as errors.
    Someone please help

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:46 PM

Answers

• This sounds like a typical DNS issue.

Ensure that your desktop has the correct DNS IP address entered. You can run "ipconfig /all" to view this information. Then, verify that this points to the DNS server for your AD installation.

Another issue might be that your DNS server is not functioning or the Domain Controllers are having trouble entering data.

IF you are using DFS, and both DFS and GPO are having issues, then it sounds just like DNS.

Derek

Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:46 PM
  • Hello,

These errors generally may result from the improper configuration in DNS, SMB, DFS, security (ACL on the SYSVOL folder) and etc.

Please try to follow the troubleshooting steps that described in the following KB article:

Userenv errors occur and events are logged after you apply Group Policy to computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887303

Hope it helps

Friday, May 23, 2008 6:35 AM

All replies

• This sounds like a typical DNS issue.

Ensure that your desktop has the correct DNS IP address entered. You can run "ipconfig /all" to view this information. Then, verify that this points to the DNS server for your AD installation.

Another issue might be that your DNS server is not functioning or the Domain Controllers are having trouble entering data.

IF you are using DFS, and both DFS and GPO are having issues, then it sounds just like DNS.

Derek

Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:46 PM
  • Hello,

These errors generally may result from the improper configuration in DNS, SMB, DFS, security (ACL on the SYSVOL folder) and etc.

Please try to follow the troubleshooting steps that described in the following KB article:

Userenv errors occur and events are logged after you apply Group Policy to computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887303

Hope it helps

Friday, May 23, 2008 6:35 AM
  • TCP/IP was disabled in the services
    no idea why
    apparently it was not enabled in the RIS installation
    VERY helpful guys
    thanks@!
    Friday, May 23, 2008 5:40 PM