none
Missing UNIX attribute tab in ADUC for one client but not for the next client RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. Have a single Forest. Forest and Domain level is 2008 R2. I'm confused. I have a chap running Windows 10 with RSAT and when he launches ADUC for any user he gets the UNIX attribute tab. When I remote on to a 2008 R2 DC and launch ADUC and look at a user I do not see the Unix attribute tab. I also do not see the tab on my 8.1 system running RSAT.

I have read here about re-registering a .dll file but I am just looking for clarity as to why one client works and the other doesn't, what is the common denominator so to speak?

Thank you for looking.

• Edited by Palmer_001 Thursday, May 5, 2016 10:38 AM TypeO
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 10:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please ensure that RSAT is connecting to the same DC.

In addition, check whether the Advanced Features under View within ADUC is selected.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Palmer_001 Thursday, March 14, 2019 11:45 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to determine whether this is a behavior caused by user account permission or computer condition, please use the same client system with different user accounts to test.

Here is a related thread below for you:

Unix Attributes tab is missing

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/97f1e948-c87f-4bd1-bdda-8789e961caae/unix-attributes-tab-is-missing?forum=winserverDS

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 16, 2016 6:39 AM
  • Hi. Thank you for taking the timeout to respond. The link you provided and subsequent links go deep but have given me a better understanding of UNIX on a Msft network. But thing is, the user that cannot see the tab is a domain admin and the user that can see the UNIX tab is not? There's mention of installing services for NIS but I can't see how that applies in this case because it must be there on a DC somewhere otherwise user 2 wouldn't see the tab. so you're right in that it is environment specific but I'm still not clear on how to resolve the issue.
    Monday, May 16, 2016 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

Please ensure that RSAT is connecting to the same DC.

In addition, check whether the Advanced Features under View within ADUC is selected.

Best Regards,

Amy

• Marked as answer by Palmer_001 Thursday, March 14, 2019 11:45 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:08 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates at the moment?

Best Regards,

Amy

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 7:35 AM