none
Customize Folder Redirection RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if there is a way to turn on Folder Redirection for folders other than the defaults that show up in the GPO (Application Data, Desktop, My Documents, Start Menu)?

Thanks,
    Bill

Friday, August 14, 2009 12:45 PM

Answers

• In old v1-systems (2000/XP/2003), the folder redirection GPO is limited to only handle Application Data, Desktop, Start Menu and My Documents (My Pictures is also there as a subcomponent of My Documents)
    In v2-systems (Vista/2008), folder redirection component has been redesigned to also handle other folders. They're located in the same place in GPO-structure, but will not affect v1-systems.

As it's a v1-system, it can be done for other folders in the profile by hacking the registry values in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders.
    You can create a custom ADM for pointing out the new location if you want to use GPO, but you also nead to handle moving of current data in the old folder either manual or with some scripting.
    What are you trying to redirect?

I earlier wrote this ADM as a test of redirecting My Music
    CLASS USER
      CATEGORY MyMusic
        KEYNAME "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders"
         POLICY "My Music"
           EXPLAIN !!MyMusicExplain
           PART "Location" EDITTEXT REQUIRED EXPANDABLETEXT DEFAULT "%USERPROFILE%\My Music"
           VALUENAME "My Music"
         END PART
      END POLICY
    END CATEGORY

[strings]
    MyMusicExplain="Custom folder redirection policy for My Music"
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 10:23 PM

All replies

• server 2008 or server 2003
    Friday, August 14, 2009 5:55 PM
  • I think folder re-direction is the same place on both server 2008 and server 2003 gp. Open up gpmc and edit your policy, under user configurion>policies>windows settings>folder re-direction

Friday, August 14, 2009 6:13 PM
  • It is server 2003, in gpmc you cannot point folder redirection to anywhere except the default locations Application Data, Desktop, My Documents, and Start Menu. I am trying to figure out how to create a custom folder redirection so I can redirect other folders on the computers.

I assume you have to create a custom .adm file but not sure how to do that.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 7:06 PM
  • In old v1-systems (2000/XP/2003), the folder redirection GPO is limited to only handle Application Data, Desktop, Start Menu and My Documents (My Pictures is also there as a subcomponent of My Documents)
    In v2-systems (Vista/2008), folder redirection component has been redesigned to also handle other folders. They're located in the same place in GPO-structure, but will not affect v1-systems.

As it's a v1-system, it can be done for other folders in the profile by hacking the registry values in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders.
    You can create a custom ADM for pointing out the new location if you want to use GPO, but you also nead to handle moving of current data in the old folder either manual or with some scripting.
    What are you trying to redirect?

I earlier wrote this ADM as a test of redirecting My Music
    CLASS USER
      CATEGORY MyMusic
         POLICY "My Music"
           EXPLAIN !!MyMusicExplain
           PART "Location" EDITTEXT REQUIRED EXPANDABLETEXT DEFAULT "%USERPROFILE%\My Music"
           VALUENAME "My Music"
         END PART
      END POLICY
    END CATEGORY

[strings]
    MyMusicExplain="Custom folder redirection policy for My Music"
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 10:23 PM
  • I would like to redirect the lotus notes folder where the lotus notes archive files reside. So the path is c:\IBM\Lotus\Notes\Archive. I would like to do this via GPO so could I write something similar to what you have above and just change the paths:

CLASS USER
      CATEGORY NotesArchive
         POLICY "Notes Archive"
           EXPLAIN !!NotesArchiveExplain
           PART "Location" EDITTEXT REQUIRED EXPANDABLETEXT DEFAULT "c:\IBM\Lotus\Notes\Archive"
           VALUENAME "Notes Archive"
         END PART
      END POLICY
    END CATEGORY

[strings]
    NotesArchiveExplain="Custom folder redirection policy for Notes Archive"
    Would this work?

Thanks for your help,
    Bill
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:29 PM