Internet Printing (IPP) in Server 08

Question

• I've previously used Internet Printing in Windows Server 2003 (2003 Server running IPP and a 2003 terminal server connecting as a client) with much success. Recently I've tried to configure similar on a network with Server 2008 as the IPP server and a 2008 terminal server as the client. I've tried many different options but I'm continuing to receive the following errors when attempting to connect:

"Printer Installation Failed. The printer name is invalid." when attempting to 'connect' via the IPP web page and
    "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Make sure that you have typed the name correctly, and that the printer is connected to network." when attempting to connect via the 'add printer' wizard (running as admin).

I think the problem is on the client side, as i have successfully connected to the IPP print server from a Windows XP, Windows Vista and a Windows Server 2003 client, with the printer installing and printing as required from each.

Is there a trick to installing an IPP shared printer on Windows 2008? The errors mentioned above pop up almost instantly when attempting to add the printer, and this has happened on all the Windows 2008 server clients I've attempted to install on. There's no firewalls involved, but it still appears to be an access or permission issue of some sort on the 2008 client side.

Any help on this would be much appreciated, i've run out of ideas :)

Thanks,
    David

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• hi there,

after some research i found the below post which might be of use

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserver2008appcompatabilityandcertification/thread/f9698b9f-1b9b-48b4-8401-55d2a6b994d4

just let us know if it helped , meanwhihle i will further research and get back to you
    sainath !analyze
    Monday, June 29, 2009 4:08 PM
  • Hi Sainath,

Thanks for your reply.

I did actuall;y review that post prior to posting my own issues, as that post lists similar problems to that I'm having. The 2008 IPP server works, I have connected XP, Vista and a 2003 terminal server to it and printed successfully. My problems all relate to connecting a 2008 server to it, nothing I do seems to get it running. It looks to fail instantly, with the errors mentioned above.

I've pretty much given up on it and am using alternate methods for the remote 2008 users to print (eg setting up a VPN), but it's a shame as I liked the simplicity and ease of use that IPP previously provided me.

I would still appreciate an answer to this problem, because as far as i'm concerned at the moment, 2008 Server does not support printing to IPP server printers.

Thanks,
    David
    Friday, July 03, 2009 12:42 PM
  • 1. In Internet Explorer, add the print server name to the list of 'trusted sites' (in the security tab of Internet Options).

2. Make sure 'protected mode' is disabled for trusted sites.

3. Make sure security for trusted sites is set to 'medium-low'.

4. Open the print server web page in IE. If it requires authentication, YOU MUST CLICK 'REMEMBER PASSWORD'.

5. Select the printer, and click connect.

Friday, December 11, 2009 7:47 PM