none
Mountvol /N and diskpart automount disable

Question

• Hi,

For a SAN application i want to disable autmounting of disk to avoid race condition to initialize a new volume, between windows plug-n-play and my application. So which one of the options "mountvol /N" or "diskpart automount disable" should i use ?
    what is the difference between them ?
    From their command descriptions i couldn't get any difference. arey they the same thing ?

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, November 22, 2008 6:11 AM

Answers

• Hi risingstar,

According to the research, the function of both command line "mountvol /N" and "diskpart automount disable" is the same. They are the same thing.

We can verify the status of Automatic mounting of new volumes by looking at the value of the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MountMgr\NoAutoMount

If the value is set to 1: This indicates that Automatic mounting of new volumes is Disabled.

If the value is set to 0: This indicates that Automatic mounting of new volumes is Enabled.

Hope it helps.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by risingstar Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:14 PM
    Monday, November 24, 2008 10:55 AM

All replies

• Hi risingstar,

According to the research, the function of both command line "mountvol /N" and "diskpart automount disable" is the same. They are the same thing.

We can verify the status of Automatic mounting of new volumes by looking at the value of the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MountMgr\NoAutoMount

If the value is set to 1: This indicates that Automatic mounting of new volumes is Disabled.

If the value is set to 0: This indicates that Automatic mounting of new volumes is Enabled.

Hope it helps.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by risingstar Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:14 PM
    Monday, November 24, 2008 10:55 AM
  • Yep, verified,they both change the given registry value.

Thanks a lot David !
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:14 PM