none
Server 2003 Offline a disk

Question

• As you are probably aware 2008 Server allows you to offline a disk via diskpart.

2003 currently does not  have this feature, but does anyone know of another method which can be used to offline a disk in 2003 via script?
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• The closest you can come to "offline" on Windows Server 2003 is this:

mountvol.exe [Drive:]Path /p

see here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772671.aspx

HTH,
    Edwin.
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:07 AM
  • Thanks I will look into it. With the mount point/drive letter removed, will this ensure that the server does not access the disk?

I'm wanting to backup onto this disk from another server, offline the disk and then effectively online it on another server, backup to tape and then offline the disk.

Effectively only one server is talking to the disk, but I'm worried that the second having the disk online without a drive letter.

Please dont ask why its rather complicated!
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 3:55 PM
  • ritdaw said:

With the mount point/drive letter removed, will this ensure that the server does not access the disk?

No, there is plenty of software package which can access (raw) disk, examples are certain defragmentation tools and various scanning software.

ritdaw said:
    I'm wanting to backup onto this disk from another server, offline the disk and then effectively online it on another server, backup to tape and then offline the disk.

Effectively only one server is talking to the disk, but I'm worried that the second having the disk online without a drive letter.

You should not do this !!!

you are still accessing the disk from both servers, and potentially corrupting data !!

what you should do is 
    1)  "mountvol /P" or any other utility your storage vendor may have
    2) unmask, or get the disks away from your server
    3) present them to you backup server, run backup
    4) unmask, or get the disks away from your backup server
    5) mask, present them back to your original server

I would talk to your storage vendor, the surely have tools and utilities to make your life easier, or even canned solutions for these type of operations.

HTH,
    Edwin.
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:55 AM
  • This is exactly why I asked the question. If both servers were on 2008 then I would have the ability to offline the disk, but as you stated this isn't possible on 2003.

The backup is for Hyper-V using VSS and I would rather not copy the data over the network.
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:45 PM
  • you should use a VSS method
    various backup solutions out there which are VSS compliant !!
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Friday, September 19, 2008 1:58 AM
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:08 PM
  • Already using the VSS method. But there are limited backup agents that support 2008 Server Core and would rather not deploy yet another product for backing up.

Turns out that Commvault, our backup software, now has backup support for 2008 (non core) which can then be used to inturn backup our solution.

Thanks
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:16 PM