none
Terminal Server Licensing Service on windows server 2016 won't stay running RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to all,

In my environment I have a Windows server 2016 that acts as license manager for some other windows 2016 server and some windows 2019 servers.

The problem is that the Terminal Server Licensing Service keeps failing: sometimes it takes a few days for the services, sometimes it happens after an hour.

When that happens, whenever a user tries to login to one of the TS served by the license manager, he receives messages that says " Remote desktop license Issue:  There is a problem with your Remote Desktop license, and you session will be disconnected in 60 minutes. Contact your administrator to fix this problem".

That's the error I see in the event viewer:

Faulting application name: svchost.exe_TermServLicensing, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x57899b1c
    Faulting module name: lserver.dll, version: 10.0.14393.1378, time stamp: 0x594a188d
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000002cb8d
    Faulting process id: 0x20f0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d4edf0d90921c1
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
    Faulting module path: c:\windows\system32\lserver.dll
    Report Id: 175b3cbc-338c-43d5-a965-e82d5740b18b
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Can anybody lend me a hand with this?

Thanks in advance

• Edited by Mackzone87 Monday, April 8, 2019 3:49 PM
    Monday, April 8, 2019 10:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please open CMD, type “sfc /scannow” to check/repair system files.

Besides, if possible, please disable 3rd party process on your Licensing server, make a Clean Boot and only allow RD Licensing to be running, then, wait for a period of time to confirm that if problem happens again. 

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/331796/perform-a-clean-startup-to-determine-whether-background-programs-are-i

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 2:04 AM
  • Hi Eve,

thanks for replying,

I forgot to mention one important thing actually: the license manager is a Domain Controller, so i cannot disallow other processes to run on the server, bcause it serves as a DC and as a dns server.

I Run the sfc /scannow but the system didn't find any problem.

It's a configuration we actually use in other cases anyway: we have a 2008 DC that server as a license manager for two 2008 TS, and a 2012 DC that serves as a license manager for three 2012R2 Terminal servers: everything works perfectly in these cases.  Do you suggest me to move the license manager role to another server?

• Edited by Mackzone87 Tuesday, April 9, 2019 10:43 AM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2019 9:50 AM
  • Hi,

There is no specific article which indicates that RD Licensing server does not supported to be installed on DC. In general, for security and workload consideration, we suggested to install RD Licensing server role on other domain member server instead of DC.

Based on the event you had mentioned, fault mode/file is system files. If SFC does not detected corruption, please using DISM.EXE to check and confirm system file health again. Besides, if you are unable to re-start system, please try to manually disable 3rd party process manually via Task Manager if there is any, wait for a period of time and check the result. 

Repair a Windows Image:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/repair-a-windows-image

Also, if you have available other member server which can be configured as RD Licensing server, you may try to migrate RD Licensing to that server and check the result.

Migrate your Remote Desktop Services Client Access Licenses (RDS CALs):
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/migrate-rds-cals

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 12, 2019 6:45 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

Monday, April 15, 2019 2:00 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, April 18, 2019 2:12 AM
  • Hi Mackzone87,
    I had the same issue when I put the first Windows Server 2019 RDS host in my environment that only had servers with Windows Server 2016 OS implanted as RDS hosts, Licensing and Broker services. After read a Microsoft article that said that the RDS hosts needed Licensing servers/services in the same version of the RDS hosts, I put a new VM with Windows Server 2019 with de RDS Licensing service and all issues gone. This worked with me.

Best Regards, Antonio

Friday, November 1, 2019 10:18 PM