none
notepad opens randomly ! RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure what the problem ! but after installing a bad software , i had some malwares running on my computer and the cpu usage jumped to arround 90% . I was able to remove these malwares with hitman pro software and the cpu usage is back to normal 0/1% on idle . But almost every hour notepad opens by itself with an error saying "the system cannot fin the path specified" 

Saturday, September 1, 2018 5:22 PM

All replies

• Sounds like you still have some leftover Malware.

Try another scan with MalwareBytes then an online virus scanner such as ESET.

The best option, of course, would be if you have a System Restore point from before the infection.

If it was my computer, i would take copies of everything i wanted to keep onto external storage (and then scan the ext. storage on a different computer), then once i was certain there was nothing on the computer that i would need later, i would format the Hdd and reinstall windows.

Charlie Coverdale

Disclaimer: This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, September 1, 2018 6:15 PM
  • Another course of action though, if you dont want to go with the nuclear option... Wait for Notepad to pop up, then read through your event logs to find out what was trying to open what and then get rid of whatever it is.

Oh, check your browsers for addins, check your running processes for anything using too much resources or with a suspect name like "virus.exe" or a random string of characters like "4672ftGD34gfS4.exe" 

Charlie Coverdale

Disclaimer: This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, September 1, 2018 6:20 PM
  • Hi,

I wonder if it is opening on some sort of key press combination. You can set up Shortcut Keys for any application to open just by pressing a special combination, eg ALT + N, for example, (those keys chosen at random).

Shortcut keys are assigned from within the Properties dialog of the shortcut to an executable. In this case I wonder if shortcut keys have been assigned to a shortcut to Notepad.exe. If you have any shortcuts for notepad, right click the shortcut and select Properties, and in the dialog window under the Shortcut tab, see if any shortcut keys have been assigned.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 3, 2018 4:41 AM
  • Hi Feres,

Please, provide a log of the third-party anti-virus utility FRST according to the following instruction:
    - Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tooland save it on the desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Run the program by double-clicking. When the program starts, click Yes to agree with a warning.
      • Ensure that Optional Scan is checked"List BCD" and"Driver MD5".

• Click the button Scan.
      • After the scan is finished, a report will be generated ( FRST.txt ) in the same folder where the program was launched. Please attach the report in the following message as a link to downloads from the file storage (e.g. onedrive).
      • If the program was started for the first time, a report will be generated ( Addition.txt ). Please attach it in the following message as a link to downloading from the file storage (e.g. onedrive).

Avis de non-responsabilité:
    Mon opinion ne peut pas coïncider avec la position officielle de Microsoft.

Bien cordialement, Andrei ...

MCP

Monday, September 3, 2018 4:54 AM
  • Hi, We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:12 AM