none
Starting Windows 7 Backup : Server execution failed(0x80080005) ????

Question

• A MSFT asked me to post here and here is a link to my original post and some troubleshooting already done.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/8669451c-772e-4bb4-91b0-9b089bf5c2cd/

My original first post in that forum:
    Running a Sony VGN-NS140E laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium x64. This was a "clean" install versus an upgrade install. When I try to "Set up backup" under "Backup and Restore" I get an error "The backup application could not start due to an internal error: Server execution failed(0x80080005)". I am running Comodo x64 Internet Security (Firewall, AntiVirus, AntiSpyware) and am not running a system registry cleaner or optimizer in the background, although I have run CCleaner as a registry cleaner in the past. I do not know if this is a new or old problem as this is the first time I tried to use Windows Backup. I did try starting both Volume Shadow Copy service and Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service , they both successfully started but Windows Backup still produces this error. Thank you in advance for your help.

Problem still occurs, thanks for your interest.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 9:44 PM

Answers

• We have found one instance of this issue where the "System Volume Information" is owned by another user / process than the SYSTEM - which is unexpected. After changing the ownership and deleting the backup catalog, the customer is unblocked and backup is running successfully.

I am investigating on couple of other customers who hit the same issue.

Thanks,

S.Soudamini.

This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranties and confers no rights.
    Monday, March 22, 2010 5:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,
       thank you for bringing the problem to us. 

Can you please explain how you are trying to take a backup. I am assuming that you are trying to take the backup using Adminstrator previledges and with an
       elevated command prompt. If not then I would request to try that out.

Thanks,

Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Monday, January 11, 2010 11:52 AM
  • I have tried running backup as "Administrator" by searching for it under the Windows icon and then right-click and Run as Administrator. That does not work.

As far as an elevated cmd prompt, I do not know how to start it from there. I can get an elevated cmd prompt, just don't know what do with it at that point.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 8:11 PM
  • Hello, 

Can you please zip the folder %windir%\logs\WindowsBackup and send it to bikasha-nospam@microsoft.com (Use the highlighted part only) for analyzing the problem. Please keep the subject of the email same as this thread for easy tracking.

Thanks,

Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Monday, January 18, 2010 1:16 PM
  • Hi,

We are investigating this issue offline. WOuld update this thread after we find the root cause.

Thanks,
    S.Soudamini.
    Friday, February 05, 2010 5:07 AM
  • Thank you for the update. I wish I could have been of more help.
    Friday, February 05, 2010 8:14 PM
  • Same here. And I am very concerned, since I am running 7RC and would like to back it up and restore onto my new copy of Windows 7, since RC is to expire very soon!
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 9:34 AM
  • I have been following up with a customer to understand the issue. Can you please drop a mail to Soudamini [dot]Sreepada [at]microsoft[dot]com, I would verify if you are hitting the same issue and suggest the workaround.
    Pirate Morgan,
    Sorry I have stopped the investigation with you in middle as the investigation required to execute difficult steps from the customer. I would drop you a mail with details.

Thanks,
    S.Soudamini.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:23 PM
  • I have been following up with a customer to understand the issue. Can you please drop a mail to Soudamini [dot]Sreepada [at]microsoft[dot]com, I would verify if you are hitting the same issue and suggest the workaround.
    Pirate Morgan,
    Sorry I have stopped the investigation with you in middle as the investigation required to execute difficult steps from the customer. I would drop you a mail with details.

Thanks,
    S.Soudamini.

Although I consider myself an experience user, some of the steps were getting a little confusing. Sorry i couldn't have been more helpful. If you need anything else please feel free to e-mail. I cannot live chat do to time differences between you and I and my work schedule. Thanks for keeping us updated. Someone else has the same issue back in my old thread here : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/8669451c-772e-4bb4-91b0-9b089bf5c2cd/?prof=required
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 12:50 PM
  • I got impatient after trying many different suggestions and failing; so yesterday I just manually copied the contents of Documents, including AppData to another drive, and installed a fresh installation of Windows. Problem solved. Kinda.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 8:39 AM
  • I manuaally backup all my docs anyway, so I don't think I'll be going the reinstall route. I really don't need Windows Backup, would just like to get it fixed without a reinstall and help others with the same problem. But I will keep that in mind downthe road when I think Windows needs a good cleaning (fresh install). Thanks.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 6:16 PM
  • We have found one instance of this issue where the "System Volume Information" is owned by another user / process than the SYSTEM - which is unexpected. After changing the ownership and deleting the backup catalog, the customer is unblocked and backup is running successfully.

Thanks,

S.Soudamini.

Monday, March 22, 2010 5:35 PM
  • try cleaning up VSS, it's known to cause problem.

open the dos box as admin and type:

vssadmin delete shadows /all

this will also free up some space on your hard drive as well if there are dead snapshots of your drives.

Monday, March 22, 2010 6:33 PM
  • Hi People

I have also been experiencing this problem too win7 ultimate 64 bit

I really would like a fix without having to reinstall as the OS is all sitting pretty atm...

tried the above it said i have none to clear...

Jonny

Sunday, April 04, 2010 7:23 PM

Thanks,

S.Soudamini.

Confirmed. I set up a full control permission to a SYSTEM user for both "Windows Backup" and "WindowsImageBackup" folder located under "System Volume Information" folder. Now "Block Level Backup Engine Service" start without an error.
    • Proposed as answer by samnelso Wednesday, December 08, 2010 8:11 PM
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 10:38 AM
  • I Have set SYSTEM account to both of those folders sadly still the service still wont start :(

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 2:14 PM
  • You know what works? Creating a windows easy transfer file.  It takes all your documents, copies them, and also carries over all your major settings.  You accounts, the desktop images for those accounts, the profile images, power settings, all sorts of stuff.  That's what I'm doing until this whole mess gets sorted out.

Oh, and I'm having the same problems.

Friday, April 16, 2010 6:10 AM
  • Also having same problem: Server execution failed (0x80080005).

Tried all suggestions found so far:

- Cannot start 'Block Level Backup Engine Service',  error 0x800700b7: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

- Did start 'Volume Shadow Copy Properties' service and 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider' service ok but that made no difference on starting 'Block Level Backup Engine Service'

- Unable to set up full control permission to a SYSTEM user for both "Windows Backup" and "WindowsImageBackup" folders located under "System Volume Information" folder because "access is denied" to my System Volume Information folder, where user name is already SYSTEM with full control.

I am also waiting for a fix to this so I can use Windows 7 Backup.

EDIT

Also, I checked my Shadow Copy Storage Space using VSSADMIN and found that I have used 9.9 GB of 10 GB maximum.  I think this is restore points and may relate to the 0x800700b7 error.  Don't know how to fix this.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Cannot start 'Block Level Backup Engine Service',  error 0x800700b7

problem: Server execution failed (0x80080005

I had the Exact same issue on One of My Friends Computers in New Jersey

I Fixed the issue by giving Full permission to the system volume information Folder for the user.

Any Help Mail me @ kalidas.rm@live.com

Friday, June 25, 2010 12:45 AM
  • Soudamini's answer above is correct for me.  Gave full permission to user on system volume folder and cleaned out the backup catalog.  This worked.
    Friday, June 25, 2010 3:44 AM
  • Soudamini's answer above is correct for me also. I have been searching for a solution for months and following this thread, but this fix is immediate.

Thanks a lot  Soudamini.

• Proposed as answer by Glenno1 Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:21 AM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:20 AM
  • I have the exact same problem as Bill WMS, having tried all the solutions posted i tried clean boot startup which still gives problems. I try changing permissions to the system volume info but i get access is denied. In the owner tab of systemvolumeinfo folder my username has full control but under permission tab "system" has full control.

I can't make it "replace all child objects" for my username under permission tab cause i keep getting access is denied. Running win 7 x64 ultimate. Not sure what to do now...

Friday, July 30, 2010 10:05 PM
  • I think the focus is that everyone did not do the last part of the sentence, which clearly says "delete backup catalog". Delete the place that has an icon of an arrow and a ball and a hard disk. Problem Solved.
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 5:36 AM

Thanks,

S.Soudamini.

Confirmed. I set up a full control permission to a SYSTEM user for both "Windows Backup" and "WindowsImageBackup" folder located under "System Volume Information" folder. Now "Block Level Backup Engine Service" start without an error.

This worked for me as well. Solved my long time Server execution failed (0x80080001) error. I gave full control to SYSTEM for all three folders "Windows Backup," "WindowsImageBackup," and lastly "System Volume Information." I did not have to delete the backup catalog. Thanks Soudamini!

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 8:14 PM
  • This also worked for me.
    Monday, January 31, 2011 2:44 AM
  • I'm also having this problem. I checked my 'System Volume Information' directory and it is owned by SYSTEM, so I don't think that is the issue. I am looking in the windowsbackup dir of windows/logs, the error log says it can't find a few files (ones that don't seem to exist under explorer or when I look via a cmd window). It also talks about skipping various dirs because they are not local. Then the error log just ends. There are "etl" files that are not in a reasonable form. Oddly, they are dated 2/4, 2/7, 2/11/ 2/14, 2/15, 2/16, 2/17, 2/18 2/19 (2 of them) 2/20, 2/21 -- then a skip to today! This is even though my backups are set to occur at 6am every morning. Ideas?
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 12:33 AM

Thanks,

S.Soudamini.

This worked for me as well. Thanks Soudamini!!!!!
    Monday, November 14, 2011 11:56 PM
  • Hi,

I am running into the same issue, backup has started for few hours and failed towards the end with the same error code -- Server execution failed (0x80080005). The backup was to be taken on an external drive, but even after showing all hidden folders I do not see the "System Volume Information" folder on C: or the external drive.  The owner of the backup catalog folder is SYSTEM.

Thanks,

vyw3

Monday, January 02, 2012 9:52 PM
  • Vyw3:  I have the same problem.
    No System Volume Information on my C: drive.
    Granted permissions to the folders to system if they weren't already there.

all the sfc stufff, all the vss and ms sc services are automatic.

a vssadmin delete shadows /all says there is nothing present.

I'm getting ready to wipe and reinstall also.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:06 PM
  • Probably dredging up an old post, but i just came across the same issue.

I solved the issue by taking full ownership of System Volume Information as my user name.

Everything running as it should now.

If someone else is wondering how to take ownership of a folder, there's a great little tweak out there called Takeownership, which enables a right click context menu to take ownership on any folder. Google it.

Sunday, June 03, 2012 2:03 PM
  • To add my Odyssey with error 0x80080005:

Thanks for the Takeownership which gave me access to the System Volume Information file. However it would not allow me to delete anything. And "The last Backup did not complete successfully" with the above error code remained for the backup onto an external harddrive. 

Backup to internal D-drive completed without a problem. 

Sadly yours,

Ulrike

Ulrike

Friday, June 29, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Here is my "Me Too" post. I backed up this Windows 7 box just fine for the past 9 months then one day the backup refused to start, showing error 0x80080005, same as others.

I tried to change ownership of the system volume information folder as suggested but it won't let me even though my user ID is shown as adminsitrator. It allows me to add user "system", but as soon as I hit "Apply" it displays message "You have taken ownership of the system volume information folder. You need to close this folder then reopen it for the change to take effect". So I close it and reopen it and nothing took effect. It still display my user ID and "administrators" as owners. But in the "Current owner" field it states "current owner could not be displayed".

Obviously since so many are hitting this error it must be a O.S. bug. Shouldn't MS fix it?

(sorry for my frustration)

Thursday, November 01, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Deleting what "catalog"? There are several in System Volume Information.  Which ones can be deleted without screwing the OS up even worse?:

System Volume Information

Windows Backup

Catalogs

GlobalCatalog.wbcat

GlobalCatalogCopy.wbcat

GlobalCatalogLock.dat

WindowsImageBackup

Catalog

GlobalCatalog

BackupGlobalCatalog

And is there some good reason why this OS can't protect its own basic functions from corruption?  And some good reason why permissions can't be automatically fixed like, my PPC Mac Mini running OS X 10.4.11 can do?

Linux is looking better and better, when MS leaves this kind of basic issue unfixed for three years or more. 

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 7:07 PM
  • Like so many else I have the same problem.

It occured after I was playing around with the ownership of the system volume information (SVI) folder to be able to delete old restore files (needed them gone from the HDD because they are immovable).

To solve the problem I have done what has been suggested here. Changed owner of SVI folder and all its contents to SYSTEM. I tried deleting the backup catalogs but all files in the two catalog folders (Windows Backup and WindowsImageBackup) will not be deleted.

I have tried changing ownership to both SYSTEM, Administrator, and my "normal" user, but none of it helps.

Every time I try to create an image of the drive I get that 0x80080005 internal error.

/GormD

Saturday, December 08, 2012 5:43 PM
  • Very frustratiing, indeed.  Most "fixes" require changing ownership of VSI file -- but all I get is "access denied" as well regardless of what permissions I try and change on it.  I can't even read the contents, even though it shows I have full control.  BAckup worked fine unitl I did a recent windows update.  Then it quit, and restore won't work either as the old restore points don't show up.  Strange behavior.

Microsoft says they will be happy to fix it for a $$$  :)

Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:52 PM
  • Can you help with this as I cannot find the folder you mention?
    Friday, July 26, 2013 7:54 PM
  • Please give me an advice and help me how can I overcome this problem!

Thanks,

Neroman

• Edited by antonis2003 Thursday, August 08, 2013 10:29 AM
    Saturday, August 03, 2013 11:34 PM
  • Could you tell me the steps to deleting the backup catalog
    Wednesday, July 09, 2014 3:03 AM
  • I see no one has answered this in over a year, yet I am directed here with the same problem and no apparent answers.

This is a 'me too' post, so  will not repeat all that has been posted here. I would like to know how to run a backup without this error. Windows Backup says the "listed drive is unplugged", yet Windows Explorer shows the drive and allows me to access it. The volume name and drive letter are also correct. Only Backup fails, even when trying to change options. 

What does this issue persist, with no answers from MS?

Help, please. TY

DN

Sunday, July 19, 2015 11:14 PM
  • Here it is, 2015-10-04 and nothing has changed. 

I noticed that Windows 10 has not updated Windows Defender since Sept 18. I can't update . . . . because it won't connect to the server to update. I tried downloading update KB3093266 -- apparently KB 3081448 broke my computer. But the standalone installer would not work because . . . it can't connect to the server. I followed the above instructions and I could not reconnect to the server. Tomorrow I may 'reset' my computer to see if that works.

There's info on the web about this very issue. They have software that for a subscription fee will fix it. If it is common enough problem that a vendor advertises that his software will fix it, why hasn't Microsoft fixed it?

• Proposed as answer by MaximK1 Monday, February 01, 2016 1:27 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by MaximK1 Monday, February 01, 2016 1:27 AM
    Sunday, October 04, 2015 6:19 AM
  • Hello, recently i have faced with same issue and after several hours of seaching through net and experimenting i have managed to found answer for me (Credit goes to S.Soudamini.)

We have found one instance of this issue where the "System Volume Information" is owned by another user / process than the SYSTEM - which is unexpected. After changing the ownership and deleting the backup catalog, the customer is unblocked and backup is running successfully.

Thanks,

S.Soudamini.

So basically it is problem with permissions for your System Volume information folder

Details:

1. Right click 'System volume information' - > Properties - > Security
    2. There should be only SYSTEM group - with full access (all checkmarks) - delete all other groups
    3. Press OK so it applies
    4. Right click System volume information - > Security -> Advanced (The button just below permission list, maybe you have different name ) -> 'Owner' tab -> check what is in 'Current owner'
    5. There should be 'Administrators'  - notice -> NOT 'Administrator'  BUT 'Administrators'

When you have all of this set as above on each 'System volume information' folder on each drive - on C:\, D:\ etc. - everything should work and windows backup will run ok

Possible obstacles and tips:

- To be able to change 'Current owner' there is button 'Change' in that window - if you cant change the owner because of some permission error you should first take ownership for whoole 'System volume information' folder - there is nice tool which adds 'Take ownership' to your context menu when you click on any folder - seach inet for this tool 

Then change owner

Then change 'Grous and users'  to SYSTEM only with full access - Step 2 above

The morale here is  is - dont change system files and folders :)

Good luck!

Monday, February 01, 2016 1:29 AM