none
Server 2012 Essentials R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Guys,

Is it possible to install NAT on the essentials r2 server? I need to create acces for clients in my testenvironment. Those clients are member of a test 2012 r2 domain. Its server has 2 cards, one with static ip for the internal testdomain, the other one with a dhcp addres, connecting to my actaal domain.

thanks.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 12:30 PM

Answers

• Essentials is not supported with 2 NICs.

You could enable NAT as suggested by Justin, but the behaviour of the essentials features would be erratic and unpredictable.

I would suggest you look at an alternate option like using VLANs on a switch/router.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Friday, January 31, 2014 8:25 PM
  • Guys,

Is it possible to install NAT on the essentials r2 server? I need to create acces for clients in my testenvironment. Those clients are member of a test 2012 r2 domain. Its server has 2 cards, one with static ip for the internal testdomain, the other one with a dhcp addres, connecting to my actaal domain.

thanks.

I strongly recommend using a network box for NAT and AD for managing the DNS behind the NAT

This topology is the most reliable way to do things

Corsair Carbide 300R with window
    Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 6600 Ti FTW Signature 2(Gk104 Kepler)
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M
    Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

Friday, January 31, 2014 8:28 PM
  • you can install IPCOP or similar as a VM which can act as a nat device.

http://titlerequired.com/2010/12/20/installing-ipcop-as-a-hyper-v-guest-%E2%80%93-part-1/

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Saturday, February 1, 2014 2:36 PM

All replies

• Hi enlil,

Based on your description, it seems that the functionality is under the Remote Access role (a sub-role: Routing).

Please refer to the following and add the role. Please open Explorer, right-click Computer, select Manage. Add Role and Features-> Remote Access role. Under the Remote Access role, then will see Routing.

Please check if it’s the functionality that you want to use. If I misunderstand, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Friday, January 31, 2014 3:23 PM
  • Essentials is not supported with 2 NICs.

You could enable NAT as suggested by Justin, but the behaviour of the essentials features would be erratic and unpredictable.

I would suggest you look at an alternate option like using VLANs on a switch/router.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Friday, January 31, 2014 8:25 PM
  • many thanks all for the replies, am testing in a virtual environment, and dont have a virtual router or so for Nat
    Saturday, February 1, 2014 9:10 AM
  • you can install IPCOP or similar as a VM which can act as a nat device.

http://titlerequired.com/2010/12/20/installing-ipcop-as-a-hyper-v-guest-%E2%80%93-part-1/

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Saturday, February 1, 2014 2:36 PM