none
Virtual Machine failed to start error in Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• I am having trouble starting the virtual machine using Hyper-V. It keeps prompting this error:

The application encountered an error while attempting to change the state of 'virtual machine'

'Virtual Machine' failed to start.

(Virtual machine ID D77B673-E1AB-4739-A539-7CF6BDE89ACE)

I have searched for solutions but none of those worked. I am running on Windows 10 Pro, I have configured all the necessary settings on Hyper-V such as the hard drives and private networks. Any ideas on how to solve this error?

[EDIT]

ERROR LOG

-<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS" Guid="{6066F867-7CA1-4418-85FD-36E3F9C0600C}" />
      <EventID>15130</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-11-06T07:12:19.343453100Z" />
      <EventRecordID>492</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="2500" ThreadID="6280" />
      <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-Admin</Channel>
      <Computer>JAMES</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
    - <UserData>
    - <VmlEventLog xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Virtualization/Events">
      <VmName>20411B-LON-DC1</VmName>
      <VmId>D77B6273-E1AB-4739-A539-7CF6BDE89ACE</VmId>
      </VmlEventLog>
      </UserData>
      </Event>

Thursday, November 2, 2017 3:29 AM

Answers

• Hi James Rudolf,

Could you please provide more details of the error message. Click on "more details" in the dialog box when it appears.

You can also have a look at eventvwr --> Applications & Services --> Microsoft --> Windows --> Hyper-V VMMS --> admin, operational logs. These logs will give more details of the failure

Regards,
    Bala

Thursday, November 2, 2017 5:01 AM

All replies

• Hi James Rudolf,

Could you please provide more details of the error message. Click on "more details" in the dialog box when it appears.

You can also have a look at eventvwr --> Applications & Services --> Microsoft --> Windows --> Hyper-V VMMS --> admin, operational logs. These logs will give more details of the failure

Regards,
    Bala

Thursday, November 2, 2017 5:01 AM
  • Try to remove cd/dvd from fm setting on hyper-v
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 5:02 AM
  • Hi James Rudolf,

1. Please check if the hyper-V-VMM and hyper-V-Worker event log in even viewer, check if there's any information about why the VM failed to start;

2. Does the issue occur on the VM alone, or all VMs are unable to be started, if there working VMs on the hyper V host;

3. Is the VM Gen1 or Gen2, if it is Gen1, also check if the VM could access the iso files;

4. On the hyper-v host, please check if it is patched with the latest windows updates, if not, please update the hyper v host.

5. Also check if there's any third-party applications running on the hyper V host, if yes, please turn them off and start the VM again.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 3, 2017 9:11 AM
  • Greetings

what's the OS of the VM? 

what's the generation you used when creating the vm?

what's the allocated start up ram?

did you check the dynamic allocation ram option? if not the base start-up ram could be to low to start the OS, as there's no overhead

i've only encountered this issue when i used the wrong generation for the vm OS so try creating a new vm using generation 1 as this is acceptable to 98% of all OS, allocate 2048 mb of start-up RAM, 60GB of HDD and mount the iso making sure the iso is on you C:\ or alternative windows partition so as to eliminate any obstacles.

if the it starts up most likely its a generation issue and if not i would like to know what OS your trying to install on the vm, thanks

keep us updates please

regards 

CorpCale

• Proposed as answer by CorpCaleCeo Friday, November 3, 2017 9:49 AM
    Friday, November 3, 2017 9:49 AM
  • Hi James Rudolf,

Just to check if you get any progress with the issue and could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if you have other concerns, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 6, 2017 6:22 AM
  • Hi James Rudolf,

Regards,
    Bala

Thanks for the response, this is the error I got from the event viewer logs

-<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS" Guid="{6066F867-7CA1-4418-85FD-36E3F9C0600C}" />
      <EventID>15130</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-11-06T07:12:19.343453100Z" />
      <EventRecordID>492</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="2500" ThreadID="6280" />
      <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-Admin</Channel>
      <Computer>JAMES</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
    - <UserData>
    - <VmlEventLog xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Virtualization/Events">
      <VmName>20411B-LON-DC1</VmName>
      <VmId>D77B6273-E1AB-4739-A539-7CF6BDE89ACE</VmId>
      </VmlEventLog>
      </UserData>
      </Event>

Monday, November 6, 2017 7:18 AM
  • CD/DVD Drive already set to none
    Monday, November 6, 2017 7:20 AM
  • Windows server 2012 is the operating system of the VM. I played around 1024 to 2048mb ram memory but still no go

Monday, November 6, 2017 7:28 AM
  • Still working on the issue, thanks for the help. I'll keep everyone updated
    Monday, November 6, 2017 7:30 AM
  • Hi James Rudolf,

1. Please check if the hyper-V-VMM and hyper-V-Worker event log in even viewer, check if there's any information about why the VM failed to start;

2. Does the issue occur on the VM alone, or all VMs are unable to be started, if there working VMs on the hyper V host;

3. Is the VM Gen1 or Gen2, if it is Gen1, also check if the VM could access the iso files;

4. On the hyper-v host, please check if it is patched with the latest windows updates, if not, please update the hyper v host.

5. Also check if there's any third-party applications running on the hyper V host, if yes, please turn them off and start the VM again.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thanks for the response, Anne. Please bear with me for I am new at this. I am running on windows 10 pro, how do you update the hyper-v host? 
    Monday, November 6, 2017 8:02 AM
  • Hi James Rudolf,

>how do you update the hyper-v host? 

Use windows Update just like other computers, "Check for windows update".

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, November 6, 2017 8:29 AM
  • Hi James Rudolf,

>how do you update the hyper-v host? 

Use windows Update just like other computers, "Check for windows update".

Best Regards,

Anne

I guess mine's up to date. Tried every possible solution: changing the VM's memory setting, removed the CD/DVD drive, etc. I have reloaded its virtual hard disk and everything. It still fails to run
    Monday, November 6, 2017 12:07 PM
  • Did this VM ever run properly, or is it a newly created VM?  Is this the only VM exhibiting this error, i.e. other VMs are working fine?  How was this VM created?

tim

Monday, November 6, 2017 1:41 PM
  • Is this the only VM that this issue is affecting? You can try and swap the vhd/vhdx to a blank one to see if it's that. If the VM still does not work, then try recreating it. It might just be one of your virtual hardware that is the issue.
    Monday, November 6, 2017 1:53 PM
  • Did this VM ever run properly, or is it a newly created VM?  Is this the only VM exhibiting this error, i.e. other VMs are working fine?  How was this VM created?

tim

Hello Tim, actually, all other VMs exhibits the same error. I've tried 4 VMs (2 Windows Server 2012 & 2 Windows 8) they all fall into the same error 15130. My colleagues tested these VMs to their PCs and told me that it runs smoothly. I've tried creating a new VM and loading up the same vhd, but it still returns me the same error. Any thoughts?
    Monday, November 6, 2017 4:13 PM
  • Is this the only VM that this issue is affecting? You can try and swap the vhd/vhdx to a blank one to see if it's that. If the VM still does not work, then try recreating it. It might just be one of your virtual hardware that is the issue.
    I tried swapping & recreating it with the same vhd, still gives me the same error
    Monday, November 6, 2017 4:14 PM
  • Is it Windows 1709? Do you have third party security software? For me I ran into the issue on 1709 with Avecto installed.

www.bighatgroup.com

Monday, November 6, 2017 6:36 PM
  • I had the same last couple days back. The issue was that I use the network drive to store the HDD which prevents me to start the server. After I moved the HDD drive back to local. It works fine.

Also, you should check other settings of the server to make sure there is nothing wrong before start it.

Just some thoughts

Monday, November 6, 2017 6:58 PM
  • Hi James Rudolf,

I would suggest to go through the event logs a little more that this event might be accompanied by some warnings or some errors.
    Also check if your PC has antivirus software software installed. You may need to give some exclusions for the Hyper-V files if you have AV in your system. AV exclusions

Also ensure the VM settings are correctly configured. RAM Minimum, startup and maximum configuration and Processors, VM is connected to the right switch etc

You can also give a try after restarting the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service.

Regards,
    Bala

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 4:14 AM
  • Here are suggested solutions for the 15130 error - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd582049%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

tim

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:36 PM
  • Here are suggested solutions for the 15130 error - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd582049%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

tim

I followed those solutions before posting my inquiry here. Still no idea how to fix it
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 12:36 PM
  • Does it work to create a VM from scratch?  By that I mean that you are not trying to re-use a VHD from another VM.

tim

• Proposed as answer by CorpCaleCeo Saturday, February 3, 2018 10:37 PM
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 1:37 PM
  • same problem for me. 

on 1709, cant create a new or existing VM.

any updates on this thread ??

Friday, February 9, 2018 4:29 PM
  • Where are the files for the VM stored?  Does the user have permission to access the files?

tim

Saturday, February 10, 2018 1:51 PM
  • hi there i m facing the same issue:

Hyper-V-VMMS: EventID 15130.

Hyper-V-Worker: EventID 3062

And no more logs

i can t launch any vm, even a brain new without cd/dvd, network cards, hdd.

CPU: https://ark.intel.com/fr/products/81015/Intel-Core-i7-4510U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

Win 10 64 Pro 1709, installing 1803

#-- edit

Upgrade to WIN 10 1803, error still persist.

#-- edit

Re-install hyper-v service and client , still the same error.
    Looks like the service is running, but at vm startup it fails without providing more information.
    Any advice to get more logs?

• Edited by Joe Buu Sunday, June 10, 2018 3:56 PM
    Sunday, June 10, 2018 12:37 PM
  • Not sure if this will help and I don't remember where I got this tip but when I get this error I have a script that I run which is just gpupdate /force and it works everytime. After I run it I can start the VM.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2018 1:35 AM
  • Hi,

What was the script that you used?

Saturday, September 22, 2018 1:40 AM
  • same issue here. What i did. I stopped all VMs, due o a maintanance of my storage tier device which they are on (switching NTFS to ReFS). Stopped all VMs, shifted he VMs from that files via Explorer copy to a backup device. (all) -> did the work, shifted back. No go. Same error like listed.

-> did a Hyper V restore of 7 days ago. Testwise (still have the copied VM files)

-> Restore was fine. Vm start from saved state but - no go once i try to start them freshly.

Maybe it has to do with the failover cluster role i testwisely installed but unconfigured. I tried to uninstall, it told me reboot ur server, i did, thought ists gone but i just saw it seems to be still there.

Ideas? File permissions seems to be fine in the VHDs locations and files.

Best regards

Edit: Some extra info:

Curently doing a system state rcovery with AD. As far as i remember 1 of 10 Vm any how worked fine. and i need to mention that even Vms which were placed on a untouched disk did not start as well, which made me think abt if that copy + backup job broke it or that failover cluster excurse

• Edited by Krautmaster1 Wednesday, December 12, 2018 10:26 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 10:20 PM
  • I have the same issue. Were you able to solve this issue?
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:01 PM
  • I am experiencing the exact same thing.  I created a new VM using Windows 10 Dev edition (newly downloaded).  There is absolutely nothing useful in event viewer under Hyper-V VMMS.  It states:

'Virtual Machine' failed to start.

Then gives my virtual machine ID#.

Under Hyper-V Worker -->  Admin, I have the following message:

Virtual Machine Worker Process initialization has timed out, and will terminate.

I've used VMware, but this is my first time using Hyper-V.....   Any ideas?

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:45 AM