none
Default Printer changes - Terminal Server 2008

Question

• We have three TS 2008 servers using session broker. People are complaining that the default printer keeps changing.
    We make sure they log off correctly so it's saved to their profile, cannot see any errors but when they log back in, it's changed to a local print queue e.g pdf creator.

I have been using folder redirection and thought that maybe causing it but it doesn't look like it.
    I have been having multiple issue with printing and terminal server 2008 but need to knock them off one at a time I think.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:43 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Please let us know your original requirements on the default printer. Do you want to use the default client printer redirected or the default one on the server side?

If you leave the group policy setting “Do not set default client printer to be default printer in a session” as not Not Configured, in both Local Group Policy and domain Group Policy level, the server will automatically set the default printer on the client to be the default one in the remote session.

If you want to change this behavior, please change the policy setting to be Enable. In that situation, the default printer will be the local printer configured on the server side.

In the opposite, if you want to use the default printer set on the client, please check the following possibilities:

·          The policy setting is not set to be Disabled on other levels.

·          The client printer is redirected correctly. To check this possibility, please create a new printer on the client side and set it as default, in my test it’s HP LaserJet 5200. Let us know the result of the new printer.

Thanks.

Regards,

·         Lionel Chen

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:10 AM

All replies

• Do you have either of these GPOs set?

computer config | policies |admin templates | windows components | terminal services | terminal server | printer redirection:

do not set default client printer to be default printer in a session

redirect only the default client printer

Hope this helps,

Kristin L. Griffin

Co-Author of the Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services Resource Kit (and a SUPER BIG fan of the Microsoft RDV Team!!!) 
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:31 AM
  • no I don't have any of these settings configured, they are just at default settings.
    Also confirmed that the printers are not being brought into the TS sessions by RDP
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 4:34 AM
  • Hello,

Please let us know your original requirements on the default printer. Do you want to use the default client printer redirected or the default one on the server side?

If you leave the group policy setting “Do not set default client printer to be default printer in a session” as not Not Configured, in both Local Group Policy and domain Group Policy level, the server will automatically set the default printer on the client to be the default one in the remote session.

If you want to change this behavior, please change the policy setting to be Enable. In that situation, the default printer will be the local printer configured on the server side.

In the opposite, if you want to use the default printer set on the client, please check the following possibilities:

·          The policy setting is not set to be Disabled on other levels.

·          The client printer is redirected correctly. To check this possibility, please create a new printer on the client side and set it as default, in my test it’s HP LaserJet 5200. Let us know the result of the new printer.

Thanks.

Regards,

·         Lionel Chen

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:10 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.
    I don't use client default printer for all users, only some remote locations.
    With Windows 2003 we didn't have a problem at all with the local printer redirection, it just worked everytime if the RDP is configured correctly.

With Windows 2008 Terminal Server... we have some strange things happening.
    One day, the printer direction can work on one server, but then not the other servers.
    But then it will work on the servers it didn't work before and all servers have the same drivers ( versions )  installed

Event ID 1111

For some reason I am looking at the Session Broker and thinking this is the going to be the death of me. Is there problems with session broker and redirections at all ? Might sound strange but I wonder if it's like permissions to allow the redirection..

Two problems with printing, printing redirection and the Terminal servers changing the default printer for users, now and then only.. not all the time.

GPO is setup correctly to allow the local printer redirection.

Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:30 PM
  • I opened another topic similar to this here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xphardware/thread/d7f0de8d-3151-4845-b019-7aeccd1ce100 before reading this post.

I do not have any errors. Read the posting below.
    "-----
    Issue: Windows XP workstation connects to server 2008 terminal client for an application. The local XP workstation has an LPT based printer. The local printer is selected to be used through the RDP client and can be seen on the Terminal session. The core issue is that the RDP session will not keep the local XP workstation printer as a default. It can be chosen and works, but never remains after ending the session and reconnecting, or even log off of the session and reconnect. It never remains the default printer, instead it takes the default of the server administrator. 1 of 7 other networked printers.

Points: The XP workstation has a LPT laserjet 4000 series printer as it's local LPT Default. I have followed a Tech Note " http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302361 " Which seems to have nothing to do with this topic.

Note: The Server is 2008 standard with more than Terminal server clients. All network based printers work, and other clients retain the default network printers without issue.
    -----"
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:58 PM
  • In regards to the printers that had to come into the session from remote sites... I fixed this.
    The way I fixed it was going from Windows 2008 32 bit to Windows 2008 64 bit.
    Allowed another 12 gig of ram to be used.
    We did this for the performance factor but we found that it improved our printing more so.
    Remote session printers... all work now, even the ones at home.

Same settings that the 32 bit had but for some reason our printers work well now...
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 11:28 PM
  • Hello,

I was having the same problem.  Not sure if you are good to go now or if someone needs the location it is set in (keep in mind it is a computer setting and not a user setting):

Computer Configuratoin\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\Terminal Server\Printer Redirection

Set "Do not set default client printer to be default printer in a session" to enabled.

Monday, January 3, 2011 8:01 PM
  • I have a similar issue with my users and their network printers which are set as local default printer. However, when they login to a remote app session, their default printer in the session is defaulted to the XPS Document Image writer. When they try to change their default printer in the remote app session, they see redirected printers from other user's sessions. This makes it tough for them to change their default printer as there may be multiple version of their printer name listed with multiple session ID's.

We are also using a session broker and for the above GPO's, the only one we have configured is "Redirect only the default client printer". Servers are all Standard edition, service pack 1.

Thanks,

Brian 

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:10 PM
  • FYI, a hotfix pertaining to default printers: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;972600

Hope this helps,

Kristin L. Griffin

SUPER BIG fan of the Remote Desktop Virtualization Team!!!) 

My RDS blog: blog.kristinlgriffin.com

The new Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services Resource Kit is now available!
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:01 PM
  • We ran the hotfix, however we still have the same issue. Users are still seeing multiple redirected printers from other sessions. As a test, I deleted my profile from the servers in the farm and logged in until I had created a new profile on each of the servers. This appeared to solve the issue as I only saw my redirected network printers. However, by the next day, I was starting to see printers from other users sessions again. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:22 PM
  • Brian,

NOw I am starting to suspect either a GPO or a logoff script that might be making trouble for you, as when you log on with a new profile things are great, but by the next day (once you log off and back on again perhaps) you have problems again.

Can you look in these areas for any user permissions related changes, or changes that would affect printers in some way, or something that would give users more rights in general (like making them domain admins or similar)...

Hope this helps,

Kristin L. Griffin

The new Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services Resource Kit is now available!
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Kristin,

Thanks for your response. The users do not have any elevated permissions on the terminal servers, we have only added them to the remote desktop users group. No loggoff scripts are in place. We have set minimal User Configuration via GPO as shown below.

User Configuration (Enabled)
    Windows Settings
    Internet Explorer Maintenance
    URLs/Important URLs
    Name URL
    Home page URL http://www.google.com
    Search bar URL Not configured
    Online support page URL Not configured

Administrative Templates
    Desktop
    Policy Setting
    Remove the Desktop Cleanup Wizard Enabled

Network/Offline Files
    Policy Setting
    Prevent use of Offline Files folder Enabled

Windows Components/Terminal Services/Sessions
    Policy Setting
    Set time limit for disconnected sessions Enabled
    End a disconnected session 10 minutes

Policy Setting
    Sets a time limit for active but idle Terminal Services sessions Enabled
    Idle session limit: 30 minutes

Thanks,

Brian

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:11 PM
  • are you using RD Easy Print? Or have you installed drivers on the RD Session Host server? What version of OS are you using on the server? What service pack? Have you installed network printers directly on the server?
    Hope this helps,

Kristin L. Griffin

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:09 PM
  • are the users part of the power users group on the server? If so, remove.
    Hope this helps,

Kristin L. Griffin

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:12 PM
  • Kristin,

All the terminal servers in the app pool are 2008 Standard edition, service pack 1. We are not using easy print and have the loaded all of the drivers for the network printers on each of the servers. Should the server that is our session broker have the drivers installed as well? None of the users are in "power users" on the server or their local PC's. The domain users groups was added to the "Remote Desktop" users group on each of the servers.

Thanks,

Brian

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Hello,

Our thinclients and laptops at work have a similar problem.

we have 3 TS (W2K8R2), 300 thinclients and about a 100 laptops/desktops in our working environment. we recently replaced our printers. we decided to run double drivers (x32/x64) and assign printers to groups by means of Group Policy (not as default!). As soon as all printers were in place the trouble started. people's default printers would randomly change to another printer. logging out and back on resolves notthing but default printers being changed again. I've tried different methods to resolve this issue such as deleting old drivers, cleaning out the print server, registry editing. Frankly i'm out of ideas. anyone can help me out with a definitive solution to this?

Thank you in advance

Door D.

Friday, January 4, 2013 12:33 PM
  • Was this question ever answered?  Multiple Printers appear for RDP users...

We think it's related the User Profiles not being unloaded properly at Logoff, and the printers never clear out from User.dat session to session.  

Here's Event 1530 at occurs at every RDP users logoff...

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
    Event ID:      1530
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:     
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      RDS.Domain.com
    Description:

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. 

DETAIL -
    1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-...-101:

Process 980 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-...=101\Printers\DevModePerUser

• Edited by JohnReam Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:59 AM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:58 AM
  • There is a bug in 2008 where redirected printer ports aren't removed upon logout and eventually it overflows or assigns bad ports to redirected printers.

Hotfix 2655998 fixes this and there is a FixIt script on the KB article for clearing out those filled registry keys.

-Ross

Thursday, April 4, 2013 6:40 PM
  • Work around: batch file in startup terminal server with: 

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /n \\BEERSEL-O-S\Ricoh_Print

Thursday, October 9, 2014 9:35 AM