Delete $NtServicePackUninstall$ and $NtUninstallkb folders on Windows Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows Server 2003 with 0 bytes free on the system drive.

I don't want to uninstall any service pack or updates so can I safely delete the $NtServicePackUninstall$ and $NtUninstallkb on the windows folder?

There's algo a ie7update folder. Can I safely deleted to?

Thanks in advance

Friday, May 25, 2012 10:05 AM

Answers

• Yes you can delete the $ntuninstall folders except for this one $hf_mig$. These folders are created post update/hotfix installs with uninstallation files which otherwise can be deleted from add remove programs or Ccleaner. If you’re certain that you won’t rollback these updates (which is very likely) then safe to delete these files. I delete these files in my domain and haven't seen any issues.

Sachin Gadhave
    MCP, MCSA, MCTS

• Marked as answer by Dmsousa Tuesday, May 29, 2012 9:17 AM
    Friday, May 25, 2012 12:09 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I would sudgest using Disk Cleanup utility from the system drive properties and see how much space you can gain there. You could also compress old files and that should free even more space. You could (if you havent already done so) move the paging file on a separate drive or a dedicated partition. Check the log size and eventually move the location.

Hope it helps.

MCTS - Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. http://mariusene.wordpress.com/

Friday, May 25, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Hi,

First of all I want to thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

I've done all the suggestions you've made and I bought some time. But now none of the suggestions frees a MB anymore.

I ran TreesizeFree Portable and found that the folder I mention use up a lot of space and hence the question.

But again thanks

Friday, May 25, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Hello,

if yuo are absolute suer you can remove the files. Do NOT delete $hf_mig$ but the rest can be removed.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, May 25, 2012 10:48 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for you help. But you are asking me or telling me that I can remove the folders I asked about with the exclusion of the $hf_mig$ folder?

Thanks

Friday, May 25, 2012 10:54 AM
  • Yes you can delete the $ntuninstall folders except for this one $hf_mig$. These folders are created post update/hotfix installs with uninstallation files which otherwise can be deleted from add remove programs or Ccleaner. If you’re certain that you won’t rollback these updates (which is very likely) then safe to delete these files. I delete these files in my domain and haven't seen any issues.

Sachin Gadhave
    MCP, MCSA, MCTS

• Marked as answer by Dmsousa Tuesday, May 29, 2012 9:17 AM
    Friday, May 25, 2012 12:09 PM