Published Application POPUPS behind main window RRS feed

• Question

• I have published an application and given the users the RDP file for the published app. All works as expected except that many, but not all, popup windows from the application popup behind the main windows and can't be seen. These are mostly confirmation windows but some are regular dialog boxes. An icon appears in the taskbar and clicking on that brings the windows to the front, but users have to notice that icon when they're wondering why the program isn't doing anything.

Logging on to the dekstop of the terminal server to run the application, the windows popup on front of the main window as expected. This is confusing to the users to have two desktops, one desktop solely for a single application.

Anyone got an idea why published application doesn't popup in front of its main window? Seems to make published applications not really usable.

Cheers,
    Mark.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 5:18 AM

Answers

• Hey Mark,

I could be wrong, but it sounds like we're having the same issue:  I have a TS Gateway Remote App that opens access in order to generate reports, but MS Access always opens behind the main app window...and users are complaining.

Sounds like this dude has the same problem:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverTS/thread/a01785ce-c8c8-4b5b-963c-cdbdae93d525

So, I stood on the shoulders of some genius and found something that might help:

1. Change the value of ForegroundLockTimeout within HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop into "0"
    2. Logoff/Logon
    3. The issue was solved for the logged in account, not for the other accounts.

So I'm thinking I'll use a GPO to make registry changes to the rest of my terminal users...I'm sure I can hack it in somehow. 

• Marked as answer by Rong Chen Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:05 PM
    Friday, March 5, 2010 1:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

are you using the latest 6.1 RDP client? Is it the same for different OS's?
    What application is it - it is not happen to be a Java app? Because I know such a behaviour on normal desktops with some applications even without RDP.
    Citrix Technology Professional, PubForum Founder http://www.pubforum.net
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 7:15 AM
  • Alex is right -- it's important to try the 6.1 client is you are not already using it.

Is the behavior the same if you use a full Terminal Services session, as opposed to Remote App?
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 7:46 AM
  • RDP client is the Vista SP1 client. Server is Sever 2008.
    It's not a Java app, although that should be irreleveant to the presentation layer.

Clarence, the entire issue is that a full session works and a published app does not, as decribed in the original post.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 10:43 PM
  • If you mean that a remote -- not just a local -- full session works, then this is definitely a RemoteApp z-order issue.

We are aware that there are RemoteApp issues and are working on some of them.
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 6:26 AM
  • I'm also having Z-Order issues..... popup messages from Dynamics GP are appearing behind the main applicaiton window, and users cannot get to the popup to dismiss it. 

If they use a full desktop shell, the popup appears in front, but via RemoteApp it appears behind.

Does anyone have any information on potential fixes.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:31 PM
  • I am having the same issues in GP. Any resolution???
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 8:17 PM

• Terminal Server Requirements

**IMPORTANT**There is currently an outstanding issue with using Microsoft Dynamics GP as a RemoteApp program via TS Web Access or as a standard RemoteApp on Microsoft Windows Server 2008. Due to this issue, it is recommended to only use a Remote Desktop Connection to connect to the Microsoft Windows Server 2008 machine. This issue is currently being investigated.

https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/documentation/systemrequirements/system_requirements_gp10.htm?printpage=false
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:27 PM
  • Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:09 AM
  • You cannot use a mouse to select combo box items in a RemoteApp program that you connect to through Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) 6.1

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=968358

/Rickard
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 5:20 PM
  • It's not a problem of combo box. I have a similar problem (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/thread/3bf5a901-790e-4db6-b0f0-79fb4b759bdb) and this patch not solve it.

Simo
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Hi Mark, a year later you must have resolved this issue?  Can you point me in the right direction as we are having similar issues with a CRM app that we have published as a RemoteAapp? It's incredibly frustrating for the end users.
    • Proposed as answer by M_Handy77 Friday, March 5, 2010 1:22 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rong Chen Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:05 PM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:43 PM
  • Hey Mark,

I could be wrong, but it sounds like we're having the same issue:  I have a TS Gateway Remote App that opens access in order to generate reports, but MS Access always opens behind the main app window...and users are complaining.

Sounds like this dude has the same problem:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverTS/thread/a01785ce-c8c8-4b5b-963c-cdbdae93d525

So, I stood on the shoulders of some genius and found something that might help:

1. Change the value of ForegroundLockTimeout within HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop into "0"
    2. Logoff/Logon
    3. The issue was solved for the logged in account, not for the other accounts.

So I'm thinking I'll use a GPO to make registry changes to the rest of my terminal users...I'm sure I can hack it in somehow. 

• Marked as answer by Rong Chen Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:05 PM
    Friday, March 5, 2010 1:35 AM
  • Ho man you are a genius, you have solved my problem (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/thread/f20b3865-bb1e-4228-ba21-5127a8165ddb). I wait for answer from a year now.

Very very thanks.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Hi Mark,

We had the same problem with our RemoteApps, and I manage to workaround it. Our Cloud is Windows server 2008 as Cloud.

The problem:

As you and others described - sometimes, some of the windows or messageboxes got hidden in the background behind the active form without anyway of getting them active except pressing ALT-TAB. From the user perspective - its seems that the App is frozen, and you are in trouble... 

Problem cause:

After a deep investigation of the issue including some color-analyzing algorithms, I found out that the new window gets the "show" command from the system, but not the "activate" command. it is obviously a Microsoft's bug. From the System's perspective the active window is still the old one.

Classic Working Solution:

I set up an application wide hook ("SetWindowsHookEx") that monitors all the messages after they have been processed (hook type: WH_CALLWNDPROCRET). Whenever I encounter a "WM_SHOWWINDOW" message, I check if the windows is about to be shown (Msg.wParam=1). In that case I create a 1 second(1000ms) timer upon which time, it calls "SetActiveWindow(HWND)" with the window handle of the shown window.

You can try it - for us it works like charm...

Sunday, September 1, 2013 1:13 PM