none
Error when opening services.msc

Question

• Hi All..

I got an error when opening services.msc and MMC, the error said The Service cannot accept control message at this time..

That kinda weird.. i got 3 user (all local administrators), but only one user can run this services.msc. do any GPO block this user..??

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Santosh, Which file and where i have to delete/rename user profile. Sorry i am new here

Log on to the server using local admin account.

User profiles can be found in C:\Users folder,

Rename the affected user profile to say user.old  e.g. if username is Jasonid80, rename that folder to Jasonid80.old

Don't forget to backup favorites and anything important

Ask user to Log on again, a new profile will be created. 

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:31 PM

All replies

• Which OS are you using ?

Check the ntfs permissions of the file services.msc, see if someone has changed the permissions. services.msc can be found in 

%systemroot%\System32\ (c:\windows\system32)

Restart the machine once and see if that helps, it could be a temporary error as well.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:48 AM
  • Try to open other MMC consoles and check for the difference.

Also logged on to the system with user the account who is getting this problem and run a command GPRESULT /H GPReport.html or rsop.msc to know applied group policies to that particular user.

or run user group policy modeling wizard from GPMC console in a DC.

Regards, Ravikumar P

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:51 AM
  • Hi Santosh, Thanks for reply, Im using Windows 2008R2 SP1 I think there is no issue with permissions, permissions set for local administrator for read and execute. I have also restart machine for twice. Regard's Jason
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:11 AM
  • Hi Ravikumar,

Thanks for reply, when try running another MMC still get same error.  i have run gpreport, but i think there is no issue. I have running GPMC also in AD.

what iam think is this is local user that have same administrator level, why other user got this error.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:22 AM
  • May be a User profile issue ! ?

Delete or rename the affected user profile (backup relevant data before user profile deletion) and ask user to log on to the machine and see if issue persists.

Regards, Santosh

Blog | Wiki

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:28 AM
  • I too agree with Santosh, it could be the problem with user profile. If it is a critical server, delete/rename of user profile requires server reboot. So ,I suggest you go for an option user profile hive and check for the difference, moreover this does not need server/system reboot.

Regards, Ravikumar P

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:51 AM
  • use windows explorer go to c:\windows\system32

find "services", right click on it. check the security tab to verify permissions

or you can use the command line to view permissions: 

C:\>icacls c:\windows\system32\services.msc

Every second counts..make use of it.

• Edited by cguan Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:58 AM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:58 AM
  • Hi Santosh and Ravikumar,

Because its development server  many user using this server. I will try to rename it later. But i am afraid if i am delete this user i dont have any user to access MMC, because i have create new user as local admin and get same error too.

about user profile hive will try it later.

Hi Cguan

Thanks for reply, i think there is no permission issue.

Regards

Jason

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:49 AM
  • You don't have to delete the user/s, you may delete or rename the user profile. Deleting user profile will not delete user account from the machine.

Regards, Santosh

Blog | Wiki

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Hi Santosh, Which file and where i have to delete/rename user profile. Sorry i am new here
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:45 PM

Log on to the server using local admin account.

User profiles can be found in C:\Users folder,

Rename the affected user profile to say user.old  e.g. if username is Jasonid80, rename that folder to Jasonid80.old

Don't forget to backup favorites and anything important

Ask user to Log on again, a new profile will be created. 

Regards, Santosh

Blog | Wiki

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:31 PM
  • Any progress on this issue ?

Regards, Santosh

Blog | Wiki

Friday, May 17, 2013 11:48 AM