none
Multiple Monitors Office not refreshing after update installed RRS feed

• Question

• This is a weird issue that is being caused by the installation of KB4034664 on Microsoft Server 2008 R2 Remote desktop servers. We run 12 servers with Load Balancing and everything was fine till 8/9/2017 when I installed all updates including the KB4034664 update on 7 of my servers. All 7 servers showed the same issue. When you connect via RDS with any computer running three 17 inch monitors and open Word, Excel, or Outlook 2013 (Office Pro 2013 installed on all RDS Servers) then move the window to either monitor that is not the Primary, the program stops refreshing.  I know this sounds weird but I recreated it on all 7 RDS hosts, and it was reported by 5 other users with different computers (Lenovo Laptops and HP Desktops).  It is strange, I move the Word window to a secondary monitor and type letters and nothing appears on the screen,  I try to choose tabs and nothing changes.  I drag it back to the Primary monitor and move around the window and the Text appears that I typed on the other monitor.  I moved other programs over there, Notepad, a couple others we use and they all work fine.

Now I did troubleshoot, I started removing the Updates and found that when I removed the KB4034664 update and rebooted, the issue disappeared.  I put in all but that one and everything is running fine.  Also, I personally run two 24 inch monitors on my desktop and the issue does not happen.  It seems to be limited to the running of 3 monitors and maybe the fact they are 17" running at 1024x768.

Thank you, BB

***EDIT***

Tried removing the KB4034664 and installing the KB4034679 (Security Update Only), still had the same error.  It was a thought.

• Edited by BBeanIT Friday, August 11, 2017 8:08 PM Testing fix
    Friday, August 11, 2017 1:33 PM

Answers

• We are experiencing the same issue on our Win2008R2 machines with RDP and dual monitors. We have opened a premier support ticket on this. We only notice the problem when the primary monitor is on the right and an Office application is opened or moved to the left monitor. We uninstalled KB4034664 and the problem went away. Reinstalled the KB and the problem returned.
    • Marked as answer by BBeanIT Thursday, December 13, 2018 4:26 PM
    Friday, August 11, 2017 4:25 PM

All replies

• We are experiencing the same issue on our Win2008R2 machines with RDP and dual monitors. We have opened a premier support ticket on this. We only notice the problem when the primary monitor is on the right and an Office application is opened or moved to the left monitor. We uninstalled KB4034664 and the problem went away. Reinstalled the KB and the problem returned.
    • Marked as answer by BBeanIT Thursday, December 13, 2018 4:26 PM
    Friday, August 11, 2017 4:25 PM
  • Thank you for clarifying, I did not test the Right versus the left.  I can recreate it on my two 24" monitors as long as I have the primary on the right.  so the issue is only when you move the window to the right hand secondary monitors.
    Friday, August 11, 2017 5:43 PM
  • I am an admin for a 200+ Windows Server 2008 R2 RDS farm.  All my clients that use MS Office 2013 or 2016 started to notice this today.  Through a series of rolling back August updates I have narrowed it down to those two KB's (KB4034664 and KB403679).  installed Individually, or in tandem, I can reproduce the anomaly exactly as described.   We are uninstalling those two KB's to resolve the issue in our environment.  What really sucks, is that both of those patches are listed as Critical....    

This is like the 4th time this year that MS patches have caused significant issues in our environment.  Patch Tuesday is getting to be a real PIB...

Friday, August 11, 2017 9:28 PM
  • Same issue here on 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Servers and Outlook 2013.

Microsoft, please ...

Monday, August 14, 2017 8:49 AM
  • It's not just 2008 R2. I have a 6 monitor setup on Windows 7 Ultimate. I RDP into a management machine also running Windows 7 Ultimate. 2 of the monitors work as normal, the other 4 monitors, some programs will not display properly (can't maximize, can't click on anything), but strangely, it does not seem to affect all programs, only some. For me it was just KB4034664 that caused the issue. Uninstalling fixed the problem.
    Monday, August 14, 2017 1:28 PM
  • Same exact issue here. Very very annoying! Does MS not quality test these patches any more? For us we're finding that the monitor furthest to the left HAS TO BE set as the primary or many apps will not render correctly. Anyone have an update from MS? Are they going to pull this update until it's fixed? Otherwise it will just re-apply at our next update cycle and break again.
    Monday, August 14, 2017 2:15 PM
  • PATCH KB4034664, problems

Hospitals and Healthcare also seem to have problems. Let us keep in mind that people had 1 MONTHS (30 days) of testing on software customer side with the PREVIEW release of the Patch.

das Microsoft-Sicherheitsupdate KB4034664 (als Package installiert mit KB4034679) für Windows 7 SP1 wurde am 08.08.2017 freigegeben.

Aufgrund erster Rückmeldungen zu auftretenden Fehlfunktionen mit Befundungsmonitoren (aktuell Barco- und EIZO-Monitore) empfehlen wir, das Sicherheitsupdate für Bildwiedergabesysteme mit medizinischen Befundungsmonitoren nicht einzuspielen.

Wenn Sie das Sicherheitsupdate KB4034664 bereits installiert und Probleme bei der Bilddarstellung festgestellt haben, empfehlen wir, dieses umgehend wieder zu deinstallieren.

Betroffen sind nur Windows 7 Betriebssysteme, bei denen die grafische Benutzeroberfläche Windows Aero deaktiviert ist.

Des Weiteren betrifft es nur Grafikkarten der Serien MXRT XXXX (in Verwendung mit Barco Monitoren) und MED-X XXXX (in Verwendung mit EIZO Monitoren), sowie andere ATI-basierte Karten von AMD.

Es tritt nur bei einigen JAVA-Anwendungen auf, welche spezielle grafische Routinen verwenden und führt zu Darstellungsproblemen der gesamten Anwendung. Betroffen davon sind die nicht als Hauptbildschirm definierten Monitore. Die JAVA-Anwendung kann in Folge dessen nicht mehr bestimmungsgemäß verwendet werden.

Folgende Möglichkeiten bestehen, um das Problem zu umgehen/beseitigen.

1. Verzicht auf die Installation des Sicherheitsupdates KB4034664
    ODER
    2. Aktivierung von Windows Aero, wobei dann vermutlich mit kleinen Performance-Einbußen zu rechnen ist

Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis und Ihre Kooperation.

Agfa HealthCare

Monday, August 14, 2017 2:24 PM
  • MS gave the producers of the Software 1 Month of time to TEST with the PREVIEW release of the patch. So the effort should have been DONE on Software producers side. You can't except MS to test the OS with 5 Billion APPS ;-)
    Monday, August 14, 2017 2:25 PM
  • Same problem here, called MS and they told me I should upgrade my 2008 R2 server. 
    Monday, August 14, 2017 3:19 PM
  • Some background information and another proposed workaround in my blog post:

https://www.neunbeere.de/blog/2017/08/graphics-bug-in-windows-7-after-installing-august-2017-security-updates/

Monday, August 14, 2017 4:13 PM
  • Rolling back KB4034664 worked for my 2008r2 RDP server.
    Monday, August 14, 2017 4:17 PM
  • MS gave the producers of the Software 1 Month of time to TEST with the PREVIEW release of the patch. So the effort should have been DONE on Software producers side. You can't except MS to test the OS with 5 Billion APPS ;-)

This bug happens with their own software, so yes, we should fully expect MS to test their updates with OFFICE on REMOTE DESKTOP, both their core products.
    Monday, August 14, 2017 8:02 PM
  • Hi.

We got several clients with the same bug.
    It's somehow software independent because it happens with nearly all software that our clients use.
    Like RA micro, ProHibis, ELO DMS, Mitel Office Suite and many more.

We uninstalled KB4034664 and the bug is gone. Now we wait and hope Microsoft releases a Patch for the Patch. ;-)

Bye.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:25 AM

Any update from MS? This update appears to be on the auto-install list still, so I have to manually go to every server and uncheck! They need to pull it.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 10:04 PM
  • Hi.

We got several clients with the same bug.
    It's somehow software independent because it happens with nearly all software that our clients use.
    Like RA micro, ProHibis, ELO DMS, Mitel Office Suite and many more.

We uninstalled KB4034664 and the bug is gone. Now we wait and hope Microsoft releases a Patch for the Patch. ;-)

Bye.

Seems to break almost everything except Windows Explorer. Which was apparently about as far as their QC went with testing...
    Tuesday, August 15, 2017 10:11 PM
  • SOOoo...  After uninstalling KB4034664, KB4034679 - Many of our clients applications would no longer function or even launch.  Including QuickBooks (prior to 2017), Most of the applications from Wolters Kluwer like Engagement and Document, etc.., MS Dynamics and Almost all .Net based apps!  they all started throwing errors related to .Net and covered versions from 3.5 to 4.0   KB4034664 has cost us a massive amount of downtime, and loss of confidence from our clients.  The only remedy was to reinstall the patches and live with those issues.

It is Obvious, MS is not longer putting much time or effort into regression testing for Windows Server 2008 R2.  We have a project underway to move to Server 2016, but that's still three  to six months out from completion.  In the meantime, what are we supposed to do??? 

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 6:44 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry about any inconvenience caused.

Please check whether this information is helpful:

If a machine has more than one monitor connected and the screen numbering is not in sequence, some applications will experience rendering issues.

Workaround:

1.Enable Desktop Composition (needs graphics card support).
    2.Make sure that the main monitor is on the top left in the monitor layout.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 18, 2017 9:37 AM
  • I am also having this same issue. I run a laptop with 2 external monitors, one on HDMI and the other on a USB 3.0 port Diamond Display Adapter - HDMI to monitor. Then the computer having an issue is a 2nd laptop on a docking station that I RDP into. I have the laptop in the middle and monitors on each side. When I drag any office app to the left monitor it freezes up and stops refreshing until I move it back to the laptop screen or right monitor.
    Friday, August 18, 2017 11:51 AM
  • I just tried uninstalling KB4034664 and it did not change the behavior. :(
    Friday, August 18, 2017 12:11 PM
  • Also uninstalled KB4034679 and now office is functional on all 3 monitors again.

Please correct this issue Microsoft!

Thanks,

~Corbin

Friday, August 18, 2017 12:26 PM
  • Experiencing the same issue but do not have KB4034664 nor KB4034679 installed.  Used the suggestion by Amy Wang above (make left monitor the main and top left) which fixed.

KBs installed recently (have not removed - it's the weekend ...)

3138910, 3067903, 3013531, 4034670, 4033996, 4019990, 4034733

Server is 2008R2, desktop is Win7

--Michael

Saturday, August 19, 2017 2:29 PM
  • Microsoft, you are failing us with your lazy quality control. Then, for some unknown reason, you won't pull the damn update and push it back out to our servers in spite of the fact that I went and unchecked this update in the windows update client. Shameful.
    Monday, August 21, 2017 12:28 PM
  • I present the same symptom, without having installed KB4034664 or KB4034679, applying the configuration mentioned in this POst  but I have clients running with more than 2 monitors and that solution does not apply... Another idea up to date?

WinServer 2008R2 
    Some customers with win 7
    Many others with win 10

thanks

[Hacer mas; Haciendo menos]

Monday, August 21, 2017 10:32 PM
  • How frustrating. I just booted up this morning to find my screen torn again for all office programs :( :( :( Microsoft has pushed the updates to me again, breaking their products :( :( :( Now I must waste more time rolling back.
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 11:18 AM
  • Check for KB4034670 which includes KB4034664.
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 1:32 PM
  • I have also installed both updates KB4034664 and KB4034679 separately, and both updates produce the same issues with windows of certain applications on our left most display, namely Office.  It affects RDP sessions and local machine instances. We use mainly three displays in our environment.

Daniel Scoland MCP 70-698 CompTIA Security+, Network+, A+ IT Professional

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:55 PM
  • We are having same problem with KB4034664. QuickBooks Retail 2017 will not open. Keep getting a error 6175,0 cannot open company file.  I uninstalled the update and QuickBooks worked again.
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:51 AM
  • and today they have been pushed again, rolling back for a 3rd time!!! >:(
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 9:29 AM
  • We're running into the same issue described here but don't see that KB4034664 being installed. We do show a bunch of office 2013 updates installed on 8/9/2017. What do you suggest we do? Uninstall all these patches & test? Why does Microsoft break things that were working fine. It's like getting the oil changed in my car & finding that they removed one of my spark plugs. 
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:18 PM
  • Same issue when or will Microsoft offer a fix for this issue?
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:30 PM
  • A fix has been released on August 25, 2017 - see my answer at:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/kb4034664-is-causing-rendering-issues-on-2nd/27af6c0b-7405-4dcc-be2d-1baea3654e2d

and here Windows 7: KB4039884 fixes dual monitor rendering bug

Gruß/greetings G. Born - Blogs: http://blog.borncity.com

Sunday, August 27, 2017 12:22 AM
  • The hotfix has been pulled.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3220665/microsoft-windows/microsoft-yanks-buggy-patch-of-a-buggy-patch-kb-4039884.html

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 6:57 AM
  • They pulled KB4039884 due to issues with it

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3220665/microsoft-windows/microsoft-yanks-buggy-patch-of-a-buggy-patch-kb-4039884.html

However, we know that they are working on it.  Thank you for addressing this. Microsoft! :)

Daniel Scoland MCP 70-698 CompTIA Security+, Network+, A+ IT Professional

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 4:55 PM