none
EssentialsTrayApp.exe doesn't work after KB3172614

Question

• I installed KB3172614 in my WIndows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Server, and I reinstalled client connector on my Windows 10 Client.

After that, It seems like EssentialsTrayApp doesn't working. 
    Essentials Tray App is not shown in tasktray on my Windows 10 computer.

I found these error records in EssentialsTrayApp-<SID>.log file.

[07/23/2016 10:23:27 2c6c] Intialize SQM failed. Error Code: 0X80004005
    [07/23/2016 10:23:28 2c6c] Failed to create tray icon. Error Code: -2147467259
    [07/23/2016 10:23:28 2c6c] TrayManager::Initialize ResetTrayIcon failed.

Thanks in advance.
    Regards.

Masahiko Sada
    Microsoft MVP for Cloud and Datacenter Management http://satsumahomeserver.com

Saturday, July 23, 2016 2:06 AM

Answers

• Hi All,

Apparently the "Notification Area Icons" cache becomes (somewhat???) corrupted when installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (1607), and this in turn is causing EssentialsTrayApp.exe to error out when it attempts to reset the Essentials notification area icon (as is indicated by the errors that are shown in the EssentialsTrayApp.<SID>.log file).

In order to correct the issue, you simply need to reset the Notification Area Icons cache for each user who is missing the Essentials notification area icon on their Windows 10 client computer. I have tested this on three separate Windows 10 client computers (Pro and Home), and it has corrected the problem on all of them.

To reset the Notification Area Icon cache, simply download the "Reset_Notification_Area_Icons_Cache.bat" file from the following web page (props go out to Shawn Brink and the Windows Ten Fourms for their excellent tutorial!):

How to Reset Notification Area Icons in Windows 10

After the client computer has restarted, you will find the Essentials notification area icon has returned to the notification area of your Windows 10 client computer.

I hope this helps everyone out that is currently experiencing the problem on their Windows 10 client computers.

-- MIKE (The Office Maven)

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 5:38 PM
  • Hi All,

While you're at it you might also want to fix the "Alert Evaluations" task in the Task Scheduler as it is also messed up by the new client connector that gets installed by KB3172614.

To do so, open the Task Scheduler (on the client computer), and go to:

Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Server Essentials

Double-click on the "Alert Evaluations" task and click on the "Actions" tab in the Properties window that appears.

Double-click on the "Start a program" action and change the "Program/script" value to:

C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\RunTask.exe

And change the "Add arguments (optional)" value to:

/asm:"C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\AlertFramework.dll" /class:Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.AlertFramework.HealthScheduledTask /method:EvaluateAlertsByTriggerTaskAction /task:"Alert Evaluations"

NOTE: Adjujst the location of your client computer's "C:\Program Files" folder as required (for locals other than English, etc.).

Click OK, answer Yes to the confirmation message that appears, and then click OK again to close the Properties window.

After that, you can manually run the task to make sure that it now works properly (note that you may need to hit Refresh in order to see the updated run result).

Thursday, August 11, 2016 1:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

KB3172614 is the update rollup for Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials.

>Essentials Tray App is not shown in tasktray on my Windows 10 computer.
    As Windows 10, the Connector TrayApp will be available from the computer’s Start screen. Or, default installation location – C:\Windows\System32\Essentials\EssentialsTrayApp.exe.

Try to manually run EssentialsTrayApp.exe via clicking the .exe files. Check to see if it will be opened. 

Once it opens, click the arrow icon on the up-right corner of LAUNCHPAD to open Settings – select the option “Automatically run the Connector when I sign in to Windows”.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 25, 2016 6:36 AM
  • Hi, Eve.

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to run EssentialsTrayApp.exe -C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\EssentialsTrayApp.exe-manually. But, there is no change.

When I click the LaunchPad.exe manually, LaunchPad run successfully.
    "Automatically run the connector" option is selected.

Although I restarted Windows 10 Client, the issue is still there.

Is there any other idea ?

King regards,
    Masahiko Sada

Masahiko Sada

Monday, July 25, 2016 1:25 PM
  • Hi

I have exactly the same issue and would welcome more suggestions.

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update installed successfully on one of our PCs, but, of course, the Essentials services and client connector were removed in the process.

I ran server/connect to our Essentials 2012R2 (which has KB3172614 installed). Everything completed successfully and the PC was restarted.

- In Programs and Features, there is an entry for “Client Connector for Windows Server Essentials”

- On Start, there is an entry for “Windows Server Essentials Dashboard”

- On Start, there is an entry for “Windows Server Essentials Connector”

- 5 services have been installed: “Client Computer Management”, “Client Computer Monitoring”, “Health”, “Notification” and “Provider Registry”

- The PC appears in the server dashboard as online

LaunchPad.exe opens the LaunchPad (interestingly, the version is "Version 10.0 (Build 0)", whereas before the Anniversary Update it was "Version 10.0 (Build 10240)". "Automatically run the connector when I sign into Windows" is selected.

EssentialsTrayApp.exe doesnt appear to do anything.

A manual backup can be initiated from the server dashboard and it completes successfully, although there is no notification on the PC of backup starting or completing.

So, to summarise, it appears that the "new" client connector installed on the server as part of KB3172614 has a bug in that the Connector Tray Icon doesnt appear on Windows 10 Anniversary Update. As far as I can see, everything "works", but the tray icon is, in my opinion, an important part of connecting PCs to an Essentials Server, giving both a visual confirmation that everything is connected and working, displaying backup notifications and a quick right-click entry to the Launchpad.

I have to say that I find it incredible that at this stage of Windows 10 development, it is still necessary to re-install the client connector for Server Essentials 2012R2 after a PC upgrade and that Server Essentials 2012R2 is being updated with the "inbox component" only at the last-minute before the Anniversary Update is pushed out. There certainly appears to be very little coordination (and testing) between the Windows 10 and Server 2012 Essentials teams!

Anyway, I look forward to, hopefully, some ideas to fix this and possibly another update or hotfix.

Thanks

Robert
    Wednesday, August 03, 2016 11:14 AM
  • Thank you Robert, I had exactly the same problem and I wish it would not be necessary to reinstall the Server Connector after a simple "update" of Windows 10

br Reinhard

Wednesday, August 03, 2016 7:33 PM
  • Same behavior as SwissRobert here:

• Laptop with W10 1511 and old WSE2012R2 connector,
    • Upgrade to W10 1607, connector is uninstalled
    • Install KB3172614, connector is installed, but no icon in the system tray (same messages in EssentialsTrayApp log as TS)

• Desktop with W10 1511 and old WSE2012R2 connector
    • Uninstall connector and install KB3172614 connector
    • No icon in system tray
    • Upgrade to W10 1607, connector remains installed, but still no icon (same messages in EssentialsTrayApp log as TS)
    Thursday, August 04, 2016 8:26 PM
  • Same problem here.
    Saturday, August 06, 2016 10:43 PM
  • Same issue on updated Windows 10 clients.  But on a CLEAN 1607 install the Essentials Tray App displays.
    Sunday, August 07, 2016 3:53 PM
  • Anyone confirm if a new user logs on to an affected PC the TrayApp works?

I have done this on two pcs so far, and it has worked for me.

Additionally a new user profile also seems to solve it - still investigating.

Robert Pearman Cloud & Datacentre MVP
    @titlerequired | LinkedIn | Google+
    Facebook | Windows Server Essentials.com

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 3:55 PM
  • Confirmed, created a new local user, logged in, and Icon appears in system tray for the new user account and seems to work properly. Good find!
    Tuesday, August 09, 2016 4:43 PM
  • Hi All,

Apparently the "Notification Area Icons" cache becomes (somewhat???) corrupted when installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (1607), and this in turn is causing EssentialsTrayApp.exe to error out when it attempts to reset the Essentials notification area icon (as is indicated by the errors that are shown in the EssentialsTrayApp.<SID>.log file).

In order to correct the issue, you simply need to reset the Notification Area Icons cache for each user who is missing the Essentials notification area icon on their Windows 10 client computer. I have tested this on three separate Windows 10 client computers (Pro and Home), and it has corrected the problem on all of them.

To reset the Notification Area Icon cache, simply download the "Reset_Notification_Area_Icons_Cache.bat" file from the following web page (props go out to Shawn Brink and the Windows Ten Fourms for their excellent tutorial!):

How to Reset Notification Area Icons in Windows 10

After the client computer has restarted, you will find the Essentials notification area icon has returned to the notification area of your Windows 10 client computer.

I hope this helps everyone out that is currently experiencing the problem on their Windows 10 client computers.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 5:38 PM
  • This solution worked on 14 clients.

Note:  I upgraded 5 clients to 1607 before the "Optional" update KB3172614 was installed on the server.  These 5 displayed the Connection Icon.  On the same server after the optional update was installed a 6th client was updated to 1607 and did not display the Icon.

Thanks for the fix Mike.

Kent

• Proposed as answer by KentBA Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:46 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:38 AM
  • Hi Kent,

You are most welcome. I'm very glad to hear that my fix worked for you.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:59 AM
  • Hi All,

While you're at it you might also want to fix the "Alert Evaluations" task in the Task Scheduler as it is also messed up by the new client connector that gets installed by KB3172614.

To do so, open the Task Scheduler (on the client computer), and go to:

Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Server Essentials

Double-click on the "Alert Evaluations" task and click on the "Actions" tab in the Properties window that appears.

Double-click on the "Start a program" action and change the "Program/script" value to:

C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\RunTask.exe

And change the "Add arguments (optional)" value to:

/asm:"C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\AlertFramework.dll" /class:Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.AlertFramework.HealthScheduledTask /method:EvaluateAlertsByTriggerTaskAction /task:"Alert Evaluations"

NOTE: Adjujst the location of your client computer's "C:\Program Files" folder as required (for locals other than English, etc.).

Click OK, answer Yes to the confirmation message that appears, and then click OK again to close the Properties window.

After that, you can manually run the task to make sure that it now works properly (note that you may need to hit Refresh in order to see the updated run result).

Thursday, August 11, 2016 1:01 AM
  • Thanks Robert, That worked for me also, kind of.  I logged on with another user account and the TrayApp was present, but on the new account only - does this mean I will have to delete the user account on each device (12 in this case) and add them in again?  This problem could have been avoided so easily if Microsoft tested their stuff more vigorously in the first place.

Edit:  actually, adding the old user back in did not solve the problem with the TrayApp, even after a restart. 
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 9:24 AM
  • This is not an Essentials issue particularly (well the IconCache issue) so much as it is a Windows 10 issue.

The alert task issue, is an Essentials issue and yes i share your sentiment on the testing.

I have taken Mikes two solutions and converted them into two PowerShell scripts so that we can push them out from the server straight to Windows 10 1607.

Just testing them some more and will share.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 9:52 AM
  • nice fix, Mike.  I wonder if there's any way to get MS to:

1.  Acknowledged that they screwed this up.

2.  Publish these workarounds in a more noticeable fashion.  Perhaps a KB article.

3.  (This one is just wishful thinking): quickly update the connector so it doesn't have so many issues.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. 

I will feedback these information to related product department department. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 12, 2016 7:01 AM
  • https://windowsserveressentials.com/2016/08/05/july-update-rollup-kb3172614-and-windows-10/

Updated post including two Scripts that should automate the fix for you.

Tested multiple times, welcome any feedback.

Friday, August 12, 2016 1:39 PM
  • Hi, Robert.

Fixed by your scripts. I appreciate your help :)

Masahiko Sada

Sunday, August 14, 2016 7:30 AM