none
RDP Protocol Error RRS feed

• Question

• For the past two years I have been using RDP to connect from my W10 laptop to a W10 virtual machine at the office.

Starting a month ago I have been getting disconnected with a "protocol error".

When this happens I cannot reconnect to the W10 VM. I can RDP to the Hyper-V Host but even the VM Manager does not let me access or Shutdown the running W10 VM. I have to Turn Off the VM and then restart it.

I just noticed that the same symptoms exist if I manually disconnect from the RDP session.

I tried setting a 2 minute RDP session timeout on the W10 machine that I am connecting to but that has not resolved the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Saturday, October 19, 2019 5:22 PM

Answers

• Sometimes I am my own worst enemy.

Turns out the reconnect problem and possibly some of the disconnects was due to my AV software.

While troubleshooting this I disabled but did not uninstall it.  Apparently this was not good enough. A few days ago there was an update to the AV software to address compatibility issues with W10-1903.  My RDP connection still drops due to poor WiFi signal but I can reestablish the RDP session now without having to reboot the VM.

I am starting to notice that W10 updates are affecting 3rd party apps more frequently than used to be the case with W7.

Thanks for the help.

Best >> Joe

• Marked as answer by JAGP Monday, November 11, 2019 9:09 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2019 9:09 PM

All replies

• HI
    can you enter winver in command prompt on both win10 laptop and win10 vm then look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]

2"I have to Turn Off the VM and then restart it."
    If you turn off the vm and restart the vm ,then you remote access that vm and manually disconnect it ,when you remote access the problematical vm again ,will the problem still exsit ?

3 "I just noticed that the same symptoms exist if I manually disconnect from the RDP session."
    you can set local policy "set time limit for disconnected sessions" to 10 minutes on problematical vm ,restart problematical win10.
    we can enter ping the ip address of problematical vm (like ping 192.168.2.3 -t) and disconnect vm session manually,after you disconnect the session of problematical vm about 10 minutes,you remote access to this vm again ,will the problem persist ?
    check delay time of icmp and the condition of lost packets during this test process.
    Local Computer Policy\computer configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Connections
    set time limit for disconnected sessions  enable 5 minutes
    end session when time limits are reached enable

4 if it is possible ,snapshot your problematical vm ,then we can disable old virtual network adapter on Hyper-V console then create new network adapter, then check if the problem persist ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 3:23 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 25, 2019 3:01 PM
  • HI
    Is there anything to help you?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 5:47 AM
  • Andy,

Been on the road with limited time to troubleshoot this properly.

Disconnects remain intermittent. Not all give a Protocol Error but reconnect can only be completed if I restart the VM.

I did shutdown a spare Win 10 VM on the host thinking that it might be running low on memory. This has helped me to stay connected longer but ultimately it bumps me off.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks >> Joe

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 5:42 PM
  • Win version is the same on both systems; 1903 (18362.418)

Interesting thought on the Ping test. I have been on my broadband connection all this time. Just tested and ping times avg about 130ms which is higher than what I am used to seeing.

I'll try the reg settings and the new VNIC.

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 5:52 PM
  • I have also made the Local Policy setting changes that you recommended. Found them under an additional subsection "Session Time Limits".

TX

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 6:21 PM
  • HI
    when you remote from my W10 laptop to a W10 virtual machine at the office, write down the system time then check there is any log about your issue at that time on both win10 laptop and win10 vm at the office . 
    client win10
    event viewer\windows logs\
    application
    security
    system
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-SessionServices_Operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS_Admin
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS_Operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-sessionservices

Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-ClientUSBDevices_Admin
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-ClientUSBDevices_Operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-remoteconnectionmanagement
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-local sessionmanager

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 10:06 AM
  • I will try to review the logs tonight.

What is interesting is that this only is an issue with the Win10 VMs. When I lose connection to the Server 2016 Host I can reconnect.

The issue here is not the disconnects - I am in a bad WiFi & Cellular service area.  The issue is the inability to reconnect until I stop the VM.

TX

Saturday, November 9, 2019 9:04 PM
  • Sometimes I am my own worst enemy.

Turns out the reconnect problem and possibly some of the disconnects was due to my AV software.

While troubleshooting this I disabled but did not uninstall it.  Apparently this was not good enough. A few days ago there was an update to the AV software to address compatibility issues with W10-1903.  My RDP connection still drops due to poor WiFi signal but I can reestablish the RDP session now without having to reboot the VM.

I am starting to notice that W10 updates are affecting 3rd party apps more frequently than used to be the case with W7.

Thanks for the help.

Best >> Joe

• Marked as answer by JAGP Monday, November 11, 2019 9:09 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2019 9:09 PM