Storage Space - Retired Disk - Degraded Virtual Disk - Cannot Remove Retired Disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am running Windows Server 2012 R2.

I had a 6 x 3TB Storage Space (Party, Thin) which had one of the drives beginning to throw bad sectors.  Everything was showing healthy, but I could see a pending failure and I wanted to be proactive.  

I conducted the following steps:

• Identified the drive that was failing
    • Renamed the failing drive to 'ToRemove'
    • Added a new 3TB drive to the storage space
    • Marked the failing drive "retired" through powershell
    • Repaired the virtual disk (this ran for about 9hrs and moved all but 512MB off of the failing drive)
    • Attempted to remove the retired drive through both the Server Manger GUI and Powershell

Issue I am facing:

• The retired drive is still showing 512MB in used space, which I am guessing may be stored on failing sectors and may not be movable
    • The virtual disk is still showing "warning: degraded" (which I'm guessing has to do with the 512MB on the retired disk, or the fact that the storage space has a retired drive as a member)

When I try and remove the drive, I'm given two warning screens:

• Warning 1:  Windows will attempt to rebuild any virtual disks that store data on this physical disk.  For this to succeed, the storage pool must have a sufficient number of physical disks that have enough free space to store the data currently on this physical disk.  The ability to to tolerate a physical disk failure will be reduced until the virtual disks are successfully rebuilt.  Do you want to remove this physical disk from the pool?

[CLICK YES]

• Warning 2: This storage pool contains one or more virual disks that are not in a healthy state.  Remvoing this physical disk now can cause data loss.  To remove this phyiscal disk, first repair the following virtual disks: Storage space

[CLICK OK]

Where I'm stuck:

• Trying to repair the virtual disk through either GUI or Powershell takes about 30seconds and completes with no messages.  The virtual disk continues to show as degraded. (as a reminder, my first repair run lasted 9 hours and moved most of the data off the failing drive)
    • I cannot repair the virtual disk, and I cannot remove the retired failing disk

I have spent 2 days reading every forum post and how-to guide I can find... but I'm at a loss for how to proceed now. 

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated, 

Gavin

• Edited by gmctavish Thursday, September 29, 2016 4:58 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 4:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Gavin,

Thanks for your post.

According to your description, it seems that when you retired drive, it doesn't work correctly.

Could you please follow the steps below to replace the failed disk.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn782852(v=ws.11).aspx

https://hodgkins.io/replace-failed-disk-in-storage-spaces-pool-with-powershell

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Monday, October 10, 2016 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mary Dong Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:26 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2016 5:41 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 10, 2016 8:35 AM
  • Good Day Gavin

Were you able to get this resolved.?

I am sitting with the same issue now

Thanks

Martin

Thursday, August 3, 2017 7:49 AM
  • We were stuck on the same problem just a while ago. I'm killing myself trying to get it resolved. Eventually, I've configured everything from scratch. Now sitting with the fingers crossed not to see anything again. Is there any plans for S2D team to bring in “spare disk” concept and NOT use free space for rebuilds?
    Monday, August 7, 2017 2:46 PM