none
Warning - Compatibility Issue during upgrade von 2008 R2 to 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Im currently running two Server 2008R2 with Hyper-V Role enabled. I want to migrate them to Server 2012.
    One Server works fine.

But on the other Server I recieved the following warning:

Setup has detected that one or more virtual drives are directly attached to physical devices. You might need to reconnect the virtual drives to these devices after the upgrade is complete.

What does this warning mean and (more important) which virtual drives are ment and what physical device?
    I suppose the two RAIDs connected to the LSI 9261-8i Storage controller are ment. But with an running DC, Exchange, SQL and Sharepoint "I suppose" is notthing that would let me continue.

So is there any way to get a more detailed report of the problem?

Thank you

Thomas

Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:14 PM

Answers

• Hi

This message also occures when there are still some images (ISO) are connected to a VM. I removed the ISOs from all VMs and the error disapears.

I'll let run the Update today in the evening and everything works fine.

Thanks you
    Thomas

PS: Why create an easy to understand warning when you could create a confusion ;)

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:06 PM

All replies

• Do you happen to have the CD/DVD of the physical host assigned to one of the VMs on the second server?  Or, do you have a pass-through disk assigned to one of the VMs on the second server?  In other words, do you have any drive connected that is NOT a VHD file.

tim

Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:06 AM
  • Hi Tim,

I need to have a look at the first point on monday. But I can't image because I normaly use images for an installation an not the physical drive. At the second point I can say No. The only non VHD Drives that could be connected are some ISO Files to the VMs.

Have a nice weekend
    Thomas

Sunday, October 28, 2012 6:54 AM
  • Hi

This message also occures when there are still some images (ISO) are connected to a VM. I removed the ISOs from all VMs and the error disapears.

I'll let run the Update today in the evening and everything works fine.

Thanks you
    Thomas

PS: Why create an easy to understand warning when you could create a confusion ;)

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:06 PM