Disable Server Manager for All Users (Impossible?) RRS feed

• Question

•  

I was running the new Process Monitor to figure out how to Disable Server Manager and found the following RegKey.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\ServerManager\DoNotOpenServerManagerAtLogon

By Setting DoNotOpenServerManagerAtLogon = 1 it will disable Server Manager.  Problem is that it will only disable Server Managaer for Current Logged On User.  I need it do disable for all users.

So I go looking in HKEY Local Machine because that is usually where you make a change for all users. I find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ServerManager\DoNotOpenServerManagerAtLogon

I set DoNotOpenServerManagerAtLogon = 1 and reboot the Server to test. I log on with Account One it shows up, I log on with account 2 it shows up.  I Query HKCU and the value is set to 0.

I also checked HKEY_USERS for the DoNotOpenServerManagerAtLogon on each different SID and the Values are set to 0.

WHY? Is HKLM for DoNotOpenServerManagerAtLogon not recursive?  How can I make one change to Disable Server Manager for All Users?

Friday, December 14, 2007 7:44 PM

Answers

• You need to set 2 reg values:
    1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ServerManager - DoNotOpenServerManagerAtLogon=1
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ServerManager\Oobe - DoNotOpenInitialConfigurationTasksAtLogon=1

Second value takes effect irrespective of first value; however second value must be set to 1 for first one to work.

Hope this helps.

Reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732131.aspx
    ~Zendu
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 5:16 PM

All replies

• Did you ever get or find an answer to this.  Would like to know myself.
    Wirrel
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:21 PM
  • You need to set 2 reg values:
    1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ServerManager - DoNotOpenServerManagerAtLogon=1
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ServerManager\Oobe - DoNotOpenInitialConfigurationTasksAtLogon=1

Second value takes effect irrespective of first value; however second value must be set to 1 for first one to work.

Hope this helps.

Reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732131.aspx
    ~Zendu
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Hello guys, I did exactly what you said and it didn't work for me. Any idea? Thanks.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:02 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any solvution on this?

I have set the DoNotOpenServerManagerAtLogon in regedit and in unattend.xml but it dont work.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc765994(v=ws.10).aspx

/SaiTech

Saturday, March 31, 2012 9:48 PM
  • 1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ServerManager - DoNotOpenServerManagerAtLogon=1

Worked for me on new and existing users with no reboot required. 

Thanks Zendu. 

Craig Brand

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Zendu,

I was struggling with the same issue as Kieth. I needed it to be done for all users.

Diddnt realize that one controls the other. This is perfect. 

Thanks!

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 5:29 PM
  • Spoke too soon. Did exactly as the instructions mentioned. But Server Manager logon still appears for "other" users.

There has to be a way to do this. Does anyone know?

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 5:42 PM