Server 2008 Enterprise SQL Active/Passive cluster: quorum question RRS feed

• Question

• When I fail/move resources such as SQL server to the passive node, the quorum drive seems to stay on the passive node (if it is still alive).  Is this by design?  Does the quorum need to be on the active node to function properly?  I don't see any depencies for this other than availability of the node...

Jeff

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What OS are you using? What quorum mode is your cluster using? The quorum drive may not be required in all instances for the a node in the cluster to achieve a quorum but we need more information on your specific setup.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770620(WS.10).aspx

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog or Twitter.
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:39 AM
  • 2008 Enterprise and Node and Disk majority is the quorum config.  I read the document but stilll can't quite fully grasp the "voting" concept.  Do you have an easier explaination to help me get started?

Thank you for your reply!

Jeff

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:14 AM
  • The voting in your case means that each of the 2 nodes plus the quorum or witness disk each get a vote for a node to achieve quorum and therefore be able to bring up the clustered resources. In your setup assuming 2 nodes only you should really have the quorum disk on shared storage and the quorum disk should be presented via the SAN, etc to both nodes however it will only be accessible on one node at a time.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731844%28WS.10%29.aspx

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog or Twitter.
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:34 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.

It is currently setup as shared storage, the scenario that came up when I moved the msdtc and sql server resources over the passive node still had ownership of the quorum drive.  I had to move it over through command line: cluster group "Cluster Group" /move. 

My other thought was that it the quorum drive is still accessible to the cluster, it just isn't presented to the active node in regards to the drive mappings.  I have read that 2003 and prior versions, the quorum drive would move with the node that was hosting the application resources, but in 2008 and later it isn't the case.

So it seems that even though the applications move to the active node, the quorum doesn't necessarily have to move with them as long as the node that is hosting the quorum is still up and running in regards to cluster visibility.  In your experience is that the case?

Thanks again,

Jeff

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:42 PM