none
Can't restore Windows Server 2008 R2 image RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm testing the system restore of a virtual server and it's giving me an error.

Let me start with the VM configuration:

- Source -

VMware Virtual Machine generation 8

Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

25 GB Hard disk

2 GB RAM

2 CPUs

Made a Bare Metal backup using this command:

wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:\\<ip>\backup -include:C: -allCritical -systemState -quiet

Then I went to another ESXi and created the same specifications VM:

- Destination -

VMware Virtual Machine generation 8

30GB Hard disk

2 GB RAM

2 CPUs

So I've started it with the Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 system CD. Set the language, clicked on Repair and added the DVD with the backup files (created na ISO from the backup folder).

It verifies the backup correctly, and when I ask it to restore... it starts, formats the disk to create the 25GB partition of the original source... and it gaves me an error The parameter is incorrect: 0x80070057

Anyone knows anything about it? The only solutions I found about this problem was removing the system OS pendrive bootdisk from the machine before starting recovery...

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 7:30 PM

Answers

• Mary Dong,

I was able to do the system restore creating another disk and copying the backup to that new drive. Then used the Windows Server 2008 R2 boot CD to start in the Repair Mode, selected that disk and restored the system without any problems.

Thanks a lot anyway =]

Thursday, January 14, 2016 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Vandrey Trindade,

Thanks for your post.

Usually if you want to restore to another server. That rule is that the disk layout on the restore server can’t differ from the original one. And I also found that if you leave your bootable USB  plugged in there during the restore the recovery will fail. Because if that extra attached disk isn’t the one containing the backup image.

You may refer to the articles below:

https://blog.workinghardinit.work/2010/08/12/windows-2008-r2-the-system-image-restore-failed-error-details-the-parameter-is-incorrect-0x80070057/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Besides, according to your description, you want install the VM with Vmware. Please also check about the article below.  And you may also confirm in the Vmware forum, if there's other requirement for restoring to another VM server from one VM server。

When installing Windows 2008 R2 in a virtual machine, Windows setup fails to detect the hard disks

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1030750

VM Forum

https://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/developer/forums/

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 6:21 AM
  • Mary Dong,

Thanks for replying.

The sites that you sent me the links I've already accessed them =/

I'm using the same disks layout from the older server...

I was wondering if there isn't a limitation of a DC restore over a virtual machine environment...

Thursday, January 14, 2016 12:06 PM
  • Mary Dong,

I was able to do the system restore creating another disk and copying the backup to that new drive. Then used the Windows Server 2008 R2 boot CD to start in the Repair Mode, selected that disk and restored the system without any problems.

Thanks a lot anyway =]

Thursday, January 14, 2016 3:35 PM