none
Server 2012 R2 not shutting down on VMware vSphere 5.5 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. Can anyone shed some light as to the problem with "some" 2012 R2 data center VMs that when running in vSphere 5.5 (although I have read that problems occur in 5.1 and v6), as to whether there is a KB article\ fix that is available to fix the problem of 2012 r2 VMs not rebooting properly?

So if RDP and initiate the restart I get disconnected (which is normal) but when I go look at the vSphere console the VM is in a state of shutting down, but it stays there, I have this on 3 servers now, running on different ESXi hosts. All hosts are updated. 2 VMs are running hardware version 8 and the third version 10. I have to literally Virtually power down the VM from within the vSphere console. Although this doesn't sound like a big problem it is because if a do anything (adding roles) that require a reboot the server doesn't realise it has been rebooted!!!.

I have tried creating dumps but of course this doesn't work because the servers don't exactly crash and so no dump.

From what I hear there appears to have been a MSFT patch in November 2015 that caused this problem. Can anyone please shed some light and offer advise cos I have Windows people blaming VMware and VMware... you get the picture.

Thanks   

Friday, May 13, 2016 7:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Palmer_001,

>>So if RDP and initiate the restart I get disconnected (which is normal) but when I go look at the vSphere console the VM is in a state of shutting down

Please check if the system event log has logged some information.

Besides, please check if you have any 3rd applications on these servers that has caused these system not reboot normally.

In addtion, i have searched a lot, but didn't find out there is a patch for this issue or any patches caused this issue.

So, i suggest you could try a new installation on these affected machines.

A supplement:

Please check if you configure your virtual machine and ESX or ESXi host to Allow virtual machines to start and stop automatically with the system and choose Guest Shutdown as your shutdown action.

Best regards,

Andy_Pan

Sunday, May 15, 2016 2:27 AM

All replies

• Never had this problem. Try by installing a fresh Windows 2012 with no patches and see if it works then.

Also make sure that VMware tools are installed at their latest version in the guest OS; even tough this does not affect the shutdown, but worth trying.

Adrian Costea - MCP, MCTS, MCSA 2003, MCITP: Windows 7

My Blog: www.vkernel.ro/blog

Friday, May 13, 2016 7:59 PM
  • Hi Palmer_001,

>>So if RDP and initiate the restart I get disconnected (which is normal) but when I go look at the vSphere console the VM is in a state of shutting down

Besides, please check if you have any 3rd applications on these servers that has caused these system not reboot normally.

In addtion, i have searched a lot, but didn't find out there is a patch for this issue or any patches caused this issue.

A supplement:

Please check if you configure your virtual machine and ESX or ESXi host to Allow virtual machines to start and stop automatically with the system and choose Guest Shutdown as your shutdown action.

Best regards,

Andy_Pan

Sunday, May 15, 2016 2:27 AM
  • Hi Palmer_001,

A supplement:

Best regards,

Andy_Pan

Hi Andy, first thank you very much. I'll check the ESXi setting (good call, who knows may get lucky). We don't get anything usable in the event log other than the services starting to shutdown - normal. Nothing about the hung state. We thought about creating a dump to analyse but of course that doesn't work because it doesn't actually crash and so no log is recorded. I know there is a method whereby you tweak a couple of reg keys and then SCRL Lock combination but it doesn't force the server to crash, even if it did it would show us why the server was crashing at that particular time and not at the time of the problem. It's difficult because the customer is convinced this is a result of a MSFT update.
    Monday, May 16, 2016 7:50 AM
  • Hi Palmer,

Thanks for your feedback.

I have searched a lot but didn't find out the related updates that leads this issue.

Besides, I suppose you could ask VMware to see if they have any updates.

Best regards,

Andy_Pan

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:40 AM